Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

LAX [and other US POEs] to Havana

LAX [and other US POEs] to Havana

Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
True and unlike the flights CUN or MEX if you are flying on a Cuban plane your adventure begins before you get to Cuba.
flights are on Bahamasair and Cayman Air
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by rankourabu
flights are on Bahamasair and Cayman Air
Ya missed the part about being "on a Cuban plane" ... see the list below:

http://mom-247.hubpages.com/hub/top-...erous-airlines

That said when flew, it was on an old Soviet era prop paratrooper plane that held about 40 people. It had three windows on each side. We got one so we could watch the sparks from the engine. There were no smoking signs but up the cockpit the pilots were smoking away (they kept the doors open). The best part was when we got over land the co-pilot gave me thumbs up sign. Now that the other regional airlines are flying there it is less adventuresome.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kayak doesn't even recognize HAV as an airport code. Also tried kayak.co.uk - same thing.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know if/when the cruise lines will dump Key West, Haiti and Jamaica in favor of overnight pitstops in HAV?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Ya missed the part about being "on a Cuban plane" ... see the list below:

http://mom-247.hubpages.com/hub/top-...erous-airlines

That said when flew, it was on an old Soviet era prop paratrooper plane that held about 40 people. It had three windows on each side. We got one so we could watch the sparks from the engine. There were no smoking signs but up the cockpit the pilots were smoking away (they kept the doors open). The best part was when we got over land the co-pilot gave me thumbs up sign. Now that the other regional airlines are flying there it is less adventuresome.
That page is like >5 years old .....

Last accident was in 1999 and their average fleet age is 7 years (which is much less than US airlines for example )
They dont even operate a single Soviet-built aircraft.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mkilmo
Even the US took over "private property" (for example in the recent crisis or the native Americans land), and the fact that the US pushed Cuba to become red (Castro just had issues with the very corrupt Batista), so I really don't understand the resentment towards Cuba you show.
Blaming the US for Cuba crimes is like blaming the tenants of the WTC for 9/11.

Cuba was bad. It is their fault alone.

I do not resent Cuba. I resent the US government for being spineless. The US government could have backed down from their demand to compensate US property owners of seized land by making a revised demand that they be compensated half of the value or something like that.

Originally Posted by drewp123
I admire your passion. Have you considered visiting HAV, perhaps if only to join the resistance movement?
No, I do not want to rot in a Cuban prison. Cuba does not offer criminal defendants a free lawyer and does not offer inmates a law library and medical care staffed by a medical school (which is common in the U.S. U.S. state prisoners often go to university hospitals or prison hospitals that are staffed by medical schools if they have a serious condition, for example UTMB Galveston medical school staffs the Texas prison hospital)

Despite all these posts and reading other posts, I do understand that Cuba has an air of being forbidden so people want to go. Likewise, some people want to go to North Korea to visit.

Nauru and Rwanda are not forbidden so few want to visit there.

Actually, I am for the free movement of people so I don't like the Cuban travel restrictions. However, I support economic sanctions against Cuba until they compensate Americans for seized property. If economic restrictions are lifted, the Cubans should also lift restrictions (and prohibitions) that prevent American companies from providing internet service and other goods.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:09 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member. Recommend using multi-quote feature.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:11 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this thread has taken on a more general discussion about Cuba, please follow it as it moves to the Cuba forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 2:59 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Box5
Actually, I am for the free movement of people so I don't like the Cuban travel restrictions. However, I support economic sanctions against Cuba until they compensate Americans for seized property.
When doing business in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. The fifth amendment of the US constitution, which protects private property from seizure, doesn't apply in Cuba, and there is no international law or treaty that would be applicable either. The seizures may have been unfair, but it's part of the risk you take when operating internationally.

If economic restrictions are lifted, the Cubans should also lift restrictions (and prohibitions) that prevent American companies from providing internet service and other goods.
Economic sanctions and trade barriers are two entirely different things. Removing sanctions does not mean that there is free trade between the nations.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
There have always been daily flights from Nassau and Grand Cayman.

Cheaper than Mexico and Canada.
Afaik, from CUN it is $325 and from Nassau seems to be $350. The key for me would be the fare to those embarkation points from my home airport.

Can't wait to go dancing to great music in Havana! And discover the local music in some smaller towns, and some lovely beaches too.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jan 22, 2015 at 5:51 am
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:36 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
When governments in the U.S. (usually local or state) seize land, they pay the owners for it.
The US never paid my great grandfather for his farmland in Vieques, which was turned into a bombing range.

Try again.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Why do so many people (including in news reports) want to go to Cuba. Is it because it is a rarity now? Cuba is repressive. If one has family ties, that's different. However, if one just wants a place that is not well traveled and has hot weather, there are many other places to go. I would prefer Namibia, Suriname, and Timor Leste over Cuba.

Before, US-Cuba relations were at a standstill because Castro seized American property when he took over and refused compensation. President Obama should have kept that demand. At the very least, he could have agreed upon discounted compensation but to lift the embargo for a few prisoners is bad negotiation, just as negotiating with Red China to get them to freeze carbon emissions at 2030 levels while the U.S. agrees to reduce them from current levels. I thought lawyers were more skilled at negotiation.? The President is a lawyer. I want my lawyer to negotiate better!
The issue of seized land is always a contentious issue. In Canada there are still issues with aboriginal (First Nations) people and land seized by the "conquerors". Similarly in Australia. The seized property issue is as old as history books written by victors...

MOST times I have driven into the USA from Canada, the border control types ask me why I travel so much. I say I am retired and my Canadian government does NOT prevent me from travelling to any country.

Sometimes they purse their lips and allow me entry, BUT sometimes they send me for a secondary inspection.It is their call as I am just visiting and THEY are the "gatekeepers". No matter, as (after everything is said and done and I and my vehicle are searched and my passport and "foreign currency" inspected) I am allowed to enter the USA - for better AND for worse. It IS what it IS. Never been prevented from entering the USA....

Similarly, when I go to any country: it IS what it IS. Similarly for Cuba. I would say that they have better health care for their citizens than in many countries: including the USA. Trust me, I experienced that in the USA. I have had medical treatment in the USA and if I had NO money I would not have any care: saw that in Gillette, WY emergency with cowboys injured in rodeos - they walked out because they could not afford treatment. Repression of citizenry or?? Europe and Canada and many countries would think so.

EVERY country is what it is. When you travel outside the USA celebrate what each country has to offer - and forget about comparisons.... Repression occurs in MANY countries - maybe a LACK of medical/health care coverage can be an indication of repression. Your call ... Just my observations based on extensive travel outside Canada-USA
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by mkt
The US never paid my great grandfather for his farmland in Vieques, which was turned into a bombing range.
And let's not forget the paltry and long-delayed compensation (paid only to survivors) of U.S. citizens of Japanese descent who had their property confiscated in 1942. The Canadian government did the same and never paid any compensation.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
And let's not forget the paltry and long-delayed compensation (paid only to survivors) of U.S. citizens of Japanese descent who had their property confiscated in 1942. The Canadian government did the same and never paid any compensation.
Yes, Canada is guilty as charged.

On this basic topic, I note that there are many foreign antiquities still held in European museums and those nations also do not want to return them.

Something about "to the victors belong the spoils"...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Enough, amigos. This is about how to travel / fly to Cuba from the USA; further OMNI/PR material will be deleted as off topic and dilatory to the topic of this thread. /Moderator

At the moment you must belong tonone of several designated groups to be able to spend money there. (You'll get a crappy exchange rate for your US Dollar to CUC exchanges, and you can not currently use US credit or cash / ATM cards in Cuba.)

If you are a person who fits the categories of those allowed to Cuba, there are several airlines (I flew MIA-HAV on Sun Country and returned on AA) that fly to Cuba from U S ports of entry every day. These charter flights are arranged by Cuba Travel Services for those who qualify (even if you travel with an afpgency licensed for "people to people" travel and you're licensed).

Otherwise, you must technically violate OFAC and hope the political winds don't change and you get penalized.

Don't expect Cuba -U.S. Relations to open up too easily; Congress has a lot to say, and they won't like what President Raúl Castro Ruz said today, as he made his demands at the summit of Community of Latin American and Caribbean States in Costa Rica.

from the BBC today (link): "The reestablishment of diplomatic relations is the start of a process of normalising bilateral relations," he said. "But this will not be possible while the blockade still exists, while they don't give back the territory illegally occupied by the Guantanamo naval base."
That's a little less likely to happen, it appears today.

But if it does, some airlines such as Americam - who fly several Boeing 737-800s a day to HAV - are anxious to implement normal airline service.

If not, you can't use a US agency, you can't spend or earn miles on Cuba segments; you must fly to another country that has airline flights to Cuba (and you can't currently use American credit cards to pay for a Cubana flight).

This is what's hopefully in the works (before Mr. Castro's demands were made). http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...le6613410.html

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 28, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.