Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Challenge: Fly an award ticket to Havana as a US Citizen

Challenge: Fly an award ticket to Havana as a US Citizen

Old May 31, 14, 12:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Posts: 179
Challenge: Fly an award ticket to Havana as a US Citizen

I'm trying to figure out if this will work. Aero Mexico flies 2x a week from Cancun and I could use miles for that - but imagine it would take an inexperienced booker to allow this kind of ticket. But who knows. To book those tickets at all one must call their Mexico City office so I understand.

Back in the 90s I added my frequenta number to a Mexicana ticket and got miles but I never tried to use those mile to fly CUN>HAV. I booked that via Canada.

Otherwise there are flights from Cayman Islands on their national carrier and Jamaica, Nassau, Central America and Colombia. And Mexico City with Interjet.

Does anyone have knowledge about how I might fly on an award ticket to HAV?
wholelottamiles is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 1:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: BOS/PVD, LIM, PTY
Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Posts: 2,694
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles View Post
I'm trying to figure out if this will work. Aero Mexico flies 2x a week from Cancun and I could use miles for that - but imagine it would take an inexperienced booker to allow this kind of ticket. But who knows. To book those tickets at all one must call their Mexico City office so I understand.

Back in the 90s I added my frequenta number to a Mexicana ticket and got miles but I never tried to use those mile to fly CUN>HAV. I booked that via Canada.

Otherwise there are flights from Cayman Islands on their national carrier and Jamaica, Nassau, Central America and Colombia. And Mexico City with Interjet.

Does anyone have knowledge about how I might fly on an award ticket to HAV?
I mean, I'd assume that I could book the Avianca flight from LIM using Lifemiles and fly it.
benzemalyonnais is offline  
Old Jun 1, 14, 8:35 pm
  #3  
kpc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles View Post

Does anyone have knowledge about how I might fly on an award ticket to HAV?
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
I mean, I'd assume that I could book the Avianca flight from LIM using Lifemiles and fly it.
I recently flew Sju-Pty-Hav rtn using Avianca miles
kpc is online now  
Old Jun 2, 14, 4:44 pm
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,526
You can not use an award with miles from an American (U.S.A.) airline to book to / from Cuba (or earn miles on any U.S.A. airline's mileage program for a flight to or from Cuba either) at this time, technically even if it is on a non-U.S.A. airline.

Otherwise, it should not be problematic (e.g. you are using a non-U.S. A. airline's miles / award).

American Airlines AAdvantage miles on IB MAD-HAV? No. BA Avios MAD-HAV? Sure.

Yes, it is ironic. Last time I flew to HAV I flew MIA-HAV on Sun Country SY 8830, return American Airlines AA 9413 (as they were chartered by a licenced organisation it was legal) (but no miles possible on the AA flight.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 2, 14 at 4:50 pm
JDiver is offline  
Old Jun 3, 14, 11:25 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post

American Airlines AAdvantage miles on IB MAD-HAV? No. BA Avios MAD-HAV? Sure.

Yes, it is ironic. Last time I flew to HAV I flew MIA-HAV on Sun Country SY 8830, return American Airlines AA 9413 (as they were chartered by a licenced organisation it was legal) (but no miles possible on the AA flight.)
Thanks for the idea of flying out of MAD using Avios. I have a large number of those and wouldn't mind visiting MAD, but it does take me out of the way! I think the old 20k miles from MIA to MAD on AA with a stopover are no more, sadly, or this would be very workable.
wholelottamiles is offline  
Old Jun 3, 14, 11:26 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by kpc View Post
I recently flew Sju-Pty-Hav rtn using Avianca miles
Just wondering if you booked the ticket outside of the US? Are you a US Citizen? This would be great but just wondering if they might have not known about the restrictions if you booked in another country.
wholelottamiles is offline  
Old Jun 4, 14, 5:46 pm
  #7  
kpc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,966
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles View Post
Just wondering if you booked the ticket outside of the US? Are you a US Citizen? This would be great but just wondering if they might have not known about the restrictions if you booked in another country.
Booked on the Avianca website. I'm not a US citizen.
kpc is online now  
Old Dec 21, 14, 6:10 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX
Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Posts: 1,697
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You can not use an award with miles from an American (U.S.A.) airline to book to / from Cuba (or earn miles on any U.S.A. airline's mileage program for a flight to or from Cuba either) at this time, technically even if it is on a non-U.S.A. airline.

Otherwise, it should not be problematic (e.g. you are using a non-U.S. A. airline's miles / award).

American Airlines AAdvantage miles on IB MAD-HAV? No. BA Avios MAD-HAV? Sure.
What about MEX-HAV on AM, if I transfer points into a non-Delta Skyteam partner (KE or Flying Blue)?

Would I be able to pay the taxes with a US credit card?

I'd be a bit afraid of transferring SPG/UR points over, only to have a ticket bounce.
LAX_Esq is offline  
Old Dec 21, 14, 6:27 pm
  #9  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,526
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq View Post
What about MEX-HAV on AM, if I transfer points into a non-Delta Skyteam partner (KE or Flying Blue)?

Would I be able to pay the taxes with a US credit card?

I'd be a bit afraid of transferring SPG/UR points over, only to have a ticket bounce.
You might be able to do that with a non-US partner. The taxes, I'd be Leary about with a U.S. Card lest it put a stick into the spokes of the ticket wheel. but that's me.

The origin of the points or miles shouldn't matter; once their transferred and converted to the new currency, that should be it.

But: have you priced just buying a ticket? Might have to be cash, or having someone with a non-US card buy, but it might not be so expensive - and it's a relatively short flight. Other Mexican cities that could work include CUN and MID.
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
Posts: 276
Just booked TIJ-MEX-HAV on AM using FlyingBlue points. 15,000 FB points in coach and $30 USD of taxes. Paid with my US AMEX with no issue so far. Trip is in late June so I'll report then.
saturnino3 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 15, 11:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,339
Originally Posted by saturnino3 View Post
Just booked TIJ-MEX-HAV on AM using FlyingBlue points. 15,000 FB points in coach and $30 USD of taxes. Paid with my US AMEX with no issue so far. Trip is in late June so I'll report then.
AMEX aren't going to have the slightest idea what the money was spent on - they just know you paid FlyingBlue money for something - so I doubt there could be any issues there.

Supposedly you can now use United miles on Copa/Avianca if you book via the Mexico call centre. I have yet to find an agent capable of transferring me to it though and have no desire to try calling internationally given the ridiculous amount of time I've spent on the phone to the US based agents - it would cost a fortune!
callum9999 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 15, 11:04 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 225
award travel options

Since one cannot use miles from a US airline, if one has Amex points and Chase Ultimate rewards points, to what non-US airline can one transfer points for an award ticket from US to Cuba? My family member going to Cuba on a cultural exchange is in DC area, and the Copa flights from IAD-PTY-HAV look particularly attractive in terms of travel time. I'm willing to establish a frequent flier account at whatever airline is necessary to make this work as paid tickets are almost $800. Thanks.
sharonsimon is offline  
Old Jun 30, 15, 6:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 3,765
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
BA Avios MAD-HAV? Sure.
Has anyone (in or out of the US) used Avios for an award to HAV? I just tried a couple of searches, including MAD-HAV and it didn't work. One search didn't recognize HAV and the other said they don't fly to that destination
ALadyNCal is offline  
Old Jul 2, 15, 2:24 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: BER HAV
Programs: lh sen spg plat ra plat hyatt dia
Posts: 362
Flying to Cuba is easy and comfortable with tickets bought by cash, credit card or as an award. What is the challenge or the problem?
carpetbagger is offline  
Old Jul 2, 15, 9:19 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 3,765
Originally Posted by carpetbagger View Post
Flying to Cuba is easy and comfortable with tickets bought by cash, credit card or as an award. What is the challenge or the problem?
Possibly you missed my AVIOS question. Let me post it again for you I just tried a couple of searches, including MAD-HAV and it didn't work. One search didn't recognize HAV and the other said they don't fly to that destination.
ALadyNCal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread