Wiki Posts
Search

Challenge: Fly an award ticket to Havana as a US Citizen

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Challenge: Fly an award ticket to Havana as a US Citizen

I'm trying to figure out if this will work. Aero Mexico flies 2x a week from Cancun and I could use miles for that - but imagine it would take an inexperienced booker to allow this kind of ticket. But who knows. To book those tickets at all one must call their Mexico City office so I understand.

Back in the 90s I added my frequenta number to a Mexicana ticket and got miles but I never tried to use those mile to fly CUN>HAV. I booked that via Canada.

Otherwise there are flights from Cayman Islands on their national carrier and Jamaica, Nassau, Central America and Colombia. And Mexico City with Interjet.

Does anyone have knowledge about how I might fly on an award ticket to HAV?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles
I'm trying to figure out if this will work. Aero Mexico flies 2x a week from Cancun and I could use miles for that - but imagine it would take an inexperienced booker to allow this kind of ticket. But who knows. To book those tickets at all one must call their Mexico City office so I understand.

Back in the 90s I added my frequenta number to a Mexicana ticket and got miles but I never tried to use those mile to fly CUN>HAV. I booked that via Canada.

Otherwise there are flights from Cayman Islands on their national carrier and Jamaica, Nassau, Central America and Colombia. And Mexico City with Interjet.

I mean, I'd assume that I could book the Avianca flight from LIM using Lifemiles and fly it.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:35 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I mean, I'd assume that I could book the Avianca flight from LIM using Lifemiles and fly it.
I recently flew Sju-Pty-Hav rtn using Avianca miles
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can not use an award with miles from an American (U.S.A.) airline to book to / from Cuba (or earn miles on any U.S.A. airline's mileage program for a flight to or from Cuba either) at this time, technically even if it is on a non-U.S.A. airline.

Otherwise, it should not be problematic (e.g. you are using a non-U.S. A. airline's miles / award).

American Airlines AAdvantage miles on IB MAD-HAV? No. BA Avios MAD-HAV? Sure.

Yes, it is ironic. Last time I flew to HAV I flew MIA-HAV on Sun Country SY 8830, return American Airlines AA 9413 (as they were chartered by a licenced organisation it was legal) (but no miles possible on the AA flight.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 2, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver

Yes, it is ironic. Last time I flew to HAV I flew MIA-HAV on Sun Country SY 8830, return American Airlines AA 9413 (as they were chartered by a licenced organisation it was legal) (but no miles possible on the AA flight.)
Thanks for the idea of flying out of MAD using Avios. I have a large number of those and wouldn't mind visiting MAD, but it does take me out of the way! I think the old 20k miles from MIA to MAD on AA with a stopover are no more, sadly, or this would be very workable.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kpc
I recently flew Sju-Pty-Hav rtn using Avianca miles
Just wondering if you booked the ticket outside of the US? Are you a US Citizen? This would be great but just wondering if they might have not known about the restrictions if you booked in another country.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:46 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Just wondering if you booked the ticket outside of the US? Are you a US Citizen? This would be great but just wondering if they might have not known about the restrictions if you booked in another country.
Booked on the Avianca website. I'm not a US citizen.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
You can not use an award with miles from an American (U.S.A.) airline to book to / from Cuba (or earn miles on any U.S.A. airline's mileage program for a flight to or from Cuba either) at this time, technically even if it is on a non-U.S.A. airline.

Otherwise, it should not be problematic (e.g. you are using a non-U.S. A. airline's miles / award).

What about MEX-HAV on AM, if I transfer points into a non-Delta Skyteam partner (KE or Flying Blue)?

Would I be able to pay the taxes with a US credit card?

I'd be a bit afraid of transferring SPG/UR points over, only to have a ticket bounce.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
What about MEX-HAV on AM, if I transfer points into a non-Delta Skyteam partner (KE or Flying Blue)?

Would I be able to pay the taxes with a US credit card?

I'd be a bit afraid of transferring SPG/UR points over, only to have a ticket bounce.
You might be able to do that with a non-US partner. The taxes, I'd be Leary about with a U.S. Card lest it put a stick into the spokes of the ticket wheel. but that's me.

The origin of the points or miles shouldn't matter; once their transferred and converted to the new currency, that should be it.

But: have you priced just buying a ticket? Might have to be cash, or having someone with a non-US card buy, but it might not be so expensive - and it's a relatively short flight. Other Mexican cities that could work include CUN and MID.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
Just booked TIJ-MEX-HAV on AM using FlyingBlue points. 15,000 FB points in coach and $30 USD of taxes. Paid with my US AMEX with no issue so far. Trip is in late June so I'll report then.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by saturnino3
Just booked TIJ-MEX-HAV on AM using FlyingBlue points. 15,000 FB points in coach and $30 USD of taxes. Paid with my US AMEX with no issue so far. Trip is in late June so I'll report then.
AMEX aren't going to have the slightest idea what the money was spent on - they just know you paid FlyingBlue money for something - so I doubt there could be any issues there.

Supposedly you can now use United miles on Copa/Avianca if you book via the Mexico call centre. I have yet to find an agent capable of transferring me to it though and have no desire to try calling internationally given the ridiculous amount of time I've spent on the phone to the US based agents - it would cost a fortune!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:04 am

award travel options

Since one cannot use miles from a US airline, if one has Amex points and Chase Ultimate rewards points, to what non-US airline can one transfer points for an award ticket from US to Cuba? My family member going to Cuba on a cultural exchange is in DC area, and the Copa flights from IAD-PTY-HAV look particularly attractive in terms of travel time. I'm willing to establish a frequent flier account at whatever airline is necessary to make this work as paid tickets are almost $800. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:21 pm

BA Avios MAD-HAV? Sure.
Has anyone (in or out of the US) used Avios for an award to HAV? I just tried a couple of searches, including MAD-HAV and it didn't work. One search didn't recognize HAV and the other said they don't fly to that destination
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: lh sen
Flying to Cuba is easy and comfortable with tickets bought by cash, credit card or as an award. What is the challenge or the problem?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by carpetbagger
Flying to Cuba is easy and comfortable with tickets bought by cash, credit card or as an award. What is the challenge or the problem?
Possibly you missed my AVIOS question. Let me post it again for you I just tried a couple of searches, including MAD-HAV and it didn't work. One search didn't recognize HAV and the other said they don't fly to that destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.