Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

A Caution [to U S Citizens no OFAC License with Health Issues] re Traveling To Cuba

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Caution [to U S Citizens no OFAC License with Health Issues] re Traveling To Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA, NW
You can go with all kinds of organizations--religious, educational, cultural--nowadays. I went with a church group, a friend of mine went on a tour organized by the Philadelphia Art Museum and both Smithsonian Tours and Elderhostel offer tours to Cuba. A local private school in Minneapolis sent some of its students to Cuba for spring break.

It's no big deal to go legally, and I highly recommend seeing it, one of the few places on earth that has almost no U.S. corporate influence. No McDonald's, no Starbucks, no U.S. TV, although they have somehow figured out how to get Coca-Cola, perhaps from Mexico.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ksandness
You can go with all kinds of organizations--religious, educational, cultural--nowadays. I went with a church group, a friend of mine went on a tour organized by the Philadelphia Art Museum and both Smithsonian Tours and Elderhostel offer tours to Cuba. A local private school in Minneapolis sent some of its students to Cuba for spring break.

It's no big deal to go legally, and I highly recommend seeing it, one of the few places on earth that has almost no U.S. corporate influence. No McDonald's, no Starbucks, no U.S. TV, although they have somehow figured out how to get Coca-Cola, perhaps from Mexico.
Thank God there are no Golden Arches yet, that why I like Cuba, all natural and free of any American fast food crap.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That is incorrect for U.S. citizens and residents. And if one does spend $5.00 (how, if U.S. dollars are not accepted and must be converted to convertible pesos, is another issue) it's already a violation of OFAC.

By the way, lying to a Federal officer - ask Martha Stewart what can happen.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
My oh my, all this drama. There is no problems for US citizens to visit Cuba. Also you don't need to have Insurance, they usually sell it to you at the airport for $5. And I go there twice a year, believe me no one even bothers to ask to see you health insurance. And US citizens if questioned by US Immig, can say we did not spend any money there, we stayed with a Cuban family and they paid for all our meals etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 29, 2013 at 5:13 pm
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
That is incorrect for U.S. citizens and residents. And if one does spend $5.00 (how, if U.S. dollars are not accepted and must be converted to convertible pesos, is another issue) it's already a violation of OFAC.

By the way, lying to a Federal officer - ask Martha Stewart what can happen.
If you have very good friends there you don't have to spend a dime as they will entertain you. I would never suggest for anyone to lie to their governmental institutions and then get sent back to Guantanamo. I know friends, American, who helped the Cubans with painting their property and farming and in return got free food and lodging.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
You still need the OFAC license. And as I mentioned above, the mere fact that you bought a plane ticket to Cuba means that you spent money, a small amount of which went to the Cuban government in the form of taxes. It's almost impossible to say, "I didn't spend any money in Cuba." Of course you did.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
You still need the OFAC license. And as I mentioned above, the mere fact that you bought a plane ticket to Cuba means that you spent money, a small amount of which went to the Cuban government in the form of taxes. It's almost impossible to say, "I didn't spend any money in Cuba." Of course you did.
Then just get a license as you mentioned, we met a group of American teachers last year who were visiting.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by robyng
You can get from here (the US) to there (Cuba). In a number of ways. But if you're going "back door" - don't expect to be able to get home quickly if you have to - for any reason (including personal or family health issues). Best I can tell - there's no direct service from Havana to Miaimi for "back door" people. Robyn
robyng, for many if not most U.S. travelers, there is no direct service from their foreign destination to their home airport. A medical emergency in a foreign country is a big problem, no matter how good the local medical care is. That's a risk you have to accept if you travel abroad. Then again, staying home and watching Dr. Phil exposes one to the risk of dying without having lived.

Funny thing is, health care is one of Cuba's few strong suits compared to other developing nations that are on the list of holiday destinations for those enjoying life in the rich world. If I were to have a medical emergency, I'd much rather be in Cuba than many of the popular Mexican spots.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dhuey, this has been explained to OP before:

From 2007
I'm American - so I can't go to Cuba legally. Don't know anything about it. [SNIP FOR BREVITY] One problem with Cuba is that if you have to get out fast for any reason - there is no direct air service to the US. Robyn
bhd87 - What might be useful information for the OP and other tourists (since many are from Europe - which is pretty far away from Cuba) is what is the best way to get to the US (only 90 miles away!) - if there's an emergency (whether it's a hurricane or a heart attack - I know the Cuban health care system is supposed to be pretty good - but I think I'd rather have bypass surgery in Miami instead of Havana). Are there scheduled/charter flights available from the US for people who are allowed to travel to/from Cuba legally?
From 2011
Another thing to keep in mind. If you have a medical or other emergency - you cannot travel directly from Cuba to the US. Robyn
Yes - I saw where the OP lives. But if the OP is in a bad accident - or needs an appendix removed - although Cuba is only 90 miles away from Florida - you can't get from there to here fast and direct. And regardless of what Michael Moore has to say about medical care in Cuba - you really don't want to be injured or sick there. Cuba is not unique in this regard. It's just that the physical proximity to the US can be deceptive. Robyn
I'm European and would much rather take my chances with Cuban health care than that available in the US.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 2:18 am

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by LapLap

I'm European and would much rather take my chances with Cuban health care than that available in the US.

I agree 100 %.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The thread has been retitled for accuracy.

Now, turn down the snark level, please; further snark-laden posts will be subject to summary deletion.

Respect our Diversity - link to this guideline
FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator. Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.
Your cooperation in helping FlyerTalk live up to its goals of being welcoming and mutually respectful is greatly appreciated.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LapLap

Originally Posted by carpetbagger
I agree 100 %.
You are both extraordinarily misinformed.

Cuba is definitely still a third world country with respect to health care.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: A few.
Agreed with Doc Savage. been to Cuba a few times medical facilities are horribly inadequate even if trained doctors are plentiful and as far as Mc Donald's is concerned once you eat at El Rapido the Cuban equivalent you will wish for Mc Donald's. Nice place to travel but let's have no delusions about Cuba's advancements.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You are both extraordinarily misinformed.

Cuba is definitely still a third world country with respect to health care.
Of course every Cuban citizen is entitled to free healthcare and life expectancy is on a par with the USA.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Precision1
... been to Cuba a few times medical facilities are horribly inadequate even if trained doctors are plentiful
Sorry to hear that you must be quite sickly/frail to have so much personal experience with medical facilities and personnel in the whole country of Cuba. (Even though "of an age" and no longer 100% well, I seldom, if ever, have had to seek medical care while traveling, as I do very frequently.)
Please give us some specific details of what happened to you personally while in Cuba to have come to this opinion about medical care there during those few times you visited (legally? with insurance?).

Folks in Brazil, the heavily touted miracle of development, are now contracting doctors from Cuba to upgrade the medical system there.

Originally Posted by Precision1
....as far as Mc Donald's is concerned once you eat at El Rapido the Cuban equivalent you will wish for Mc Donald's. Nice place to travel but let's have no delusions about Cuba's advancements.
If you go to Cuba to eat at McDonald's or El Rapido, you deserve what you get. :-) If you go to MickeyD's anywhere in the world, the same goes. :-) McD's should in no way, shape or form be considered an "advancement" !

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Oct 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
If the plane ticket was also a gift from a non-U.S. person, the trip is legal. Every transaction must be handled by someone else; you can't even use someone else's money to buy or rent anything. IIRC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.