Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Are prepaid/gift credit cards from non-USA banks useful in Cuba?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

I've seen a number of posts here about how credit cards issued by USA banks are useless in Cuba. But what about set-amount cards, such as a gift card, issued by a non-USA bank? I'm thinking I might be able to get one of these via a friend in Canada. Then again, if such cards are not widely accepted in Havana, there wouldn't be much point in doing this.

I'm trying to avoid having to bring a ton of cash. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Why don't you want to bring a ton of cash? For U.S. residents, Canadian dollars are easy to obtain here and easy to exchange in Cuba.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ksandness
Why don't you want to bring a ton of cash? For U.S. residents, Canadian dollars are easy to obtain here and easy to exchange in Cuba.
If I get mugged, I'd like to have some means to pay for things, such as food. I'm not expecting to be mugged, but that can happen almost anywhere. The difference in Cuba for an American is that the embargo makes recovery from losing all of one's cash a lot more problematic.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I've seen a number of posts here about how credit cards issued by USA banks are useless in Cuba. But what about set-amount cards, such as a gift card, issued by a non-USA bank? I'm thinking I might be able to get one of these via a friend in Canada. Then again, if such cards are not widely accepted in Havana, there wouldn't be much point in doing this.

I'm trying to avoid having to bring a ton of cash. Thanks.
I didnt find that many places accepted cards in Havana. I do believe some hotels did but thats about it. You are better off getting cash in Canadian dollars or Euros and bringing that to avoid the 10% tax.
I usually left most of my money in my hotel safe and only took less than 100 CUC a day for costs, usually things were pretty reasonably priced.
www.havanatimes.org has a Q&A section for those traveling to Cuba.
Have fun in Cuba!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
You should bring cash, credit cards not accepted at most establishments except hotels. Take cash, you will not get mugged unless you wear that cash around your neck in a garland. I am a regular Cuba junky.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: lh sen
At every atm you can get cash with a visa card issued by a non-us bank. Changing cash at a CadeCa can be a little annoying (waiting, passport). The reception at Habana Libre is changing cash without passport and no waiting but the rate is 5 to 10 % less.

Casa particulares and paladares (private restaurants) do not accept credit cards.

US $ are not the best cash, bring euros or can $.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:47 pm

I understand your concerns but 99% of all transactions are made in cash.

If you want some kind of credit card for back-up emergencies be my guest. Go for any pre-paid Canadian issued credit card.
You can leave the AMEX at home
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: lh sen
May I get a canadian prepaid credit card (visa) by internet and send by mail to europe?

Any recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.