Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Puerto Rico to Cuba?

Puerto Rico to Cuba?

Old Jul 1, 13, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Puerto Rico to Cuba?

I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions on the most direct / cheapest route to get from Puerto Rico to Cuba?

I'm Australian, & would love to suprise DW with a trip over to Cuba but am getting overwhelmed with the possibilities of routes & airlines.

ita matrix is failing me :/

I *think* the quickest way is to go from SJU - Panama - Havana....

Any suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts?
Old Jul 1, 13, 1:30 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Since Puerto Rico is US soil, we're subject to the embargo. As a result getting there isn't too easy or cheap. The one nonstop flight SJU-HAV is a charter for people with US government permission, so I've never flown it. I've gone via SDQ and PTY.

The cheapest, and theoretically quickest way (but only of the flight times work out) is SJU-SDQ on B6 and SDQ-HAV on CU. I just priced out random days in october at USD$763.30, with a long enough connection to collect your bags, and check in with CU at SDQ.

The other, more expensive, much more common, and painless way, is via PTY on CM, which you have to book as a multi-city itinerary, or as two nested itineraries. I priced the same dates in october at USD$1226.50

With a $900 price difference between two people, and a reduced travel time, I'd opt for Santo Domingo and schlep your luggage twice (or conversely spend a night in Santo Domingo as well).
Old Jul 1, 13, 1:36 pm
mkt

Almost forgot. You can theoretically do it on AV via BOG, but the flight times suck, and you'd be lookin at multiple stops each way on a milk-run flight, or spending the night in Bogota.
Old Jul 1, 13, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to check that out. I've already booked my 'big' flights to PR (from Australia) so that will cost me about $200 pp to change, looks lie i'll be lucky to add the flights for Cuba for under $1k each.

Sounds crazy as it's just a hop away. For a $1k one can fly direct from london with Virgin into havana.

I've also figured out that from Aus the easiest way is via LA, into Mexico & then Cuba.

But I'm still unsure of the best way via South America to take advantage of some time in Rio.

Cuba has made its way to the top of my bucket list!

.....just trying to figure it all out....
Old Jul 2, 13, 12:18 am
mkt

Originally Posted by Nic01 View Post
Hi, Thank you for taking the time to check that out. I've already booked my 'big' flights to PR (from Australia) so that will cost me about $200 pp to change, looks lie i'll be lucky to add the flights for Cuba for under $1k each.

Sounds crazy as it's just a hop away. For a $1k one can fly direct from london with Virgin into havana.

I've also figured out that from Aus the easiest way is via LA, into Mexico & then Cuba.

But I'm still unsure of the best way via South America to take advantage of some time in Rio.

Cuba has made its way to the top of my bucket list!

.....just trying to figure it all out....
The US embargo has made Cuba travel artificially expensive from Puerto Rico. It stinks, since Puerto Rico and Cuba are sister islands.

The Caribbean in general is an expensive place to fly. I consider anything under US$200AI a good fare to get me off the island. Even if it's to get me onto another island that's only 20 minutes away by plane.
Old Jul 5, 13, 1:49 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I was wondering whether anyone has any suggestions on the most direct / cheapest route to get from Puerto Rico to Cuba?

I'm Australian, & would love to suprise DW with a trip over to Cuba but am getting overwhelmed with the possibilities of routes & airlines.

ita matrix is failing me :/

I *think* the quickest way is to go from SJU - Panama - Havana....

Any suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts?
These 2 threads should be of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/...uban-visa.html
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=2275144

You can fly Sju-Pty-Hav on Copa return in business (on 1 ticket) for 2 pax for 32000 Avianca Lifemiles and about USD800 in copayment / taxes. Without the 100% promo (another one should happen soon), it will cost around USD1000 to buy the 32000 Avianca lifemiles, so it will cost you around USD1800 for 2x J tickets (or USD900 each) using purchased Lifemiles.

I bought Lifemiles with the 100% promo and today booked 2x J return awards Sju-Pty-Hav for next year for a net cost of approx USD1284 (or USD622 each). Just a thought...

How to buy lifemiles: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avian...gram-star.html
Old Jul 5, 13, 5:25 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Don't forget your commonwealth buddy. Toronto YYZ to Cuba return plus one week in an all inclusive resort can be had for <$500pp.
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:24 am
mkt

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
Don't forget your commonwealth buddy. Toronto YYZ to Cuba return plus one week in an all inclusive resort can be had for <$500pp.
But SJU-YYZ brings that into expensive territory. Not to mention having to lose a day traveling
Old Jul 12, 13, 4:36 am

Programs: lh sen spg plat ra plat hyatt dia
SJU-PTY-HAV or SJU-BOG-HAV should work with Lifemiles from AV.

Kingston and Montego Bay have good connections to Cuba as well. The RT should be around 220 $ all in.

http://www.cubajet.com/schedule_cuba_flights.asp

Last edited by carpetbagger; Jul 12, 13 at 4:44 am
Old Sep 27, 14, 1:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
has anyone flown the Lifemiles SJU-PTY-HAV, I've seen it offered several times as well as HAV-PTY-JFK!! but wondering how it can be issued, embargo and all...
Old Sep 28, 14, 5:06 pm
mkt

I've booked it as a nested itinerary on CM.
Old Nov 12, 14, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
has anyone flown the Lifemiles SJU-PTY-HAV, I've seen it offered several times as well as HAV-PTY-JFK!! but wondering how it can be issued, embargo and all...
Just have it issued outside the USA.

Search this Thread