Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian/American wanting to go to Cuba

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Canadian/American wanting to go to Cuba

I was born in the States, but have only lived there for the first 6 months of my life. The other 23 years I have been living in Canada. I am just wondering if I can travel to Cuba through Canada and my Canadian passport.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:23 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Cuba doesn't care. If you're still a US citizen, then you'd be breaking US law by spending any money there, but that's seldom ever enforced.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA, NW
It's especially non-problematic if you fly in and out of Canada, where travel to Cuba is perfectly legal.
Old May 16, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Even if you had a US passport, Cuba would welcome you. Thousands of Americans visit Cuba independently every year.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:16 pm

So when coming back from Cuba via Canada, it's okay to be honest and let them know you've been to Cuba for the question "Countries visited on this trip prior to U.S. arrival" on the customs declaration form (the blue form) ??

or should I just answer CA to fly under their radar?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Supposedly, the U.S. demands APIS information for overflights of U.S. territory (or even flights that go near but not over U.S. territory) so CBP certainly may know where you have been.

If crossing back to the U.S. in a private vehicle by land, at least you don't have a written declaration they can use to nail you.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Supposedly, the U.S. demands APIS information for overflights of U.S. territory (or even flights that go near but not over U.S. territory) so CBP certainly may know where you have been.
That is unfortunately correct. So unless you are flying Cubana and being sent to fly AROUND the US (someone please confirm they are still doing this itinerary), Big Brother knows all.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
But coming back to the original post, the OP would be travelling on his/her Canadian passport. Even with APIS information, it seems unlikely they would link that identity with the US passport which would be used on visiting the USA.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Do NOT lie to a U S government official, whether verbally or written - such is subject to a large fine and jail time (ask Martha Stewart - that's what they got her on).

Regardless of what we may think of the effectiveness, appropriateness, etc. of the embargo, it's best for U S citizens to find a tour that is duly licensed by the Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and do it that way.

People from other countries do not have any problems generally and are free of what some might term outdated restrictions - Americans are risking doing "back door" travel to Cuba. And yes, they can be fined - some friends of mine were fined several thousand dollars (not to mention, kiss your Global Entry, etc. goodbye).

The OP does not live in the USA, and should have no problems traveling to / from Cuba as long as it is not associated with USA travel during the same trip.

Originally Posted by flygminor
So when coming back from Cuba via Canada, it's okay to be honest and let them know you've been to Cuba for the question "Countries visited on this trip prior to U.S. arrival" on the customs declaration form (the blue form) ??

or should I just answer CA to fly under their radar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.