Travel to Cuba

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Cuba doesn't stamp your passport. Instead, they give you a stamped card, which you then turn in when you leave.

I went legally with a group on the first charter out of ORD, and when I came back and the Immigration and Customs guys asked where I'd been and I said "Cuba," they both reacted with, "I didn't know we had flights to Cuba." That was it. Oh, the Customs guy wanted to know if I'd bought anything, and I told him (truthfully) that I'd bought some folk crafts and a T shirt, he just waved me through. Apparently they REALLY don't want anyone bringing in rum or cigars.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ksandness
Cuba doesn't stamp your passport. Instead, they give you a stamped card, which you then turn in when you leave.

I went legally with a group on the first charter out of ORD, and when I came back and the Immigration and Customs guys asked where I'd been and I said "Cuba," they both reacted with, "I didn't know we had flights to Cuba." That was it. Oh, the Customs guy wanted to know if I'd bought anything, and I told him (truthfully) that I'd bought some folk crafts and a T shirt, he just waved me through. Apparently they REALLY don't want anyone bringing in rum or cigars.
Cuba will stamp in your passport if you ask them to, as I did.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are there any solid busines-type hotels or are they all resorts and 60s area vintage places?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are there any solid busines-type hotels or are they all resorts and 60s area vintage places?

Of course! What do you think?

There is the former Hilton 4* (now Habana Libre) and the Melia Cohiba 5* and the Melia Habana 4*. The 5 * Hotel Nacional is more colonial style but many business traveller stay there as well.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:29 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
The cheapest international flight into Havana is the daily Cubana one from Cancun, for 248 euro. It's less than an hour on an old Ilyushin or Tupolev.
Those old planes no longer run on the international routes. Cancun to Havana is now served on a new Tupolev 205.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:47 pm

Hi folks. I have a bunch of questions. In Cancun airport recently, I saw a counter selling visas for Cuba and my imagination started to crank up, esp. given that I've been a fan of Cuban music for decades, but we didn't really have enough time at the airport to stop and ask questions.
How much are the visas? How much time would it take to arrange a flight from Cancun to Havana (i.e. could you fly in to Cancun from the US, get a visa and fly out the same day--I assume I can't reserve from the US even online)? Which airlines fly from Cancun? Cubana? Who else? All about the same fare price? Where are the desks located to purchase flights? I assume I have to have cash (no US issued credit cards). Can I use dollars or do I have to get pesos out of the ATM?
And for anyone who has been to Cuba---if we did a few days in Havana to get a better idea of what else there is to do on a second trip, combined with a few days in Tulum (which we love), would that be too frustrating on the Cuba end (to leave without seeing more) in your opinion? (I also may have an option to meet up for a longer time with a Cuban friend when he next goes from Miami to visit his relatives.)
I haven't yet done a lot of research, so have patience. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Originally Posted by sergeiLV
Any advice on how to find the least expensive option to travel to Havana.
You could make yourself a makeshift raft and try your luck getting there the old fashioned way?

I believe that would be the least expensive option
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:38 pm

The original OP is long gone.
BUT, I do want to say -- I am going to Cuba! I will visit (with a group) during the first week in April, flying MIA-HAV on a charter flight. Really looking forward to it. And yes I will want my passport stamped...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Another "solid" business-type hotel is the Hotel Nacional in Havana which hosted the infamous Havana Conference which was arranged by american business men Mr. Luciano and Mr. Lansky.

Last edited by carpetbagger; Mar 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.