Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Required health insurance policy to enter Cuba?

Old Mar 18, 12, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

I've read in a few places that in order to enter Cuba, all foreigners must hold valid travel insurance covering medical expenses before travelling to Cuba.

As an American interested in independent travel (via Cancun), how would I go about getting a policy that doesn't leave a "paper trail" for US government bloodhounds to sniff?

Can I buy it in the Cancun Airport? Is the health policy requirement even enforced? Do they ask for proof upon arrival?
Old Mar 18, 12, 7:24 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
You can buy asistur health insurance at the Havana airport. Bring back some cigars!
Old Mar 23, 12, 7:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If the OP is US-based, those cigars will be denied entry (or confiscated).
Old Mar 29, 12, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
I've read in a few places that in order to enter Cuba, all foreigners must hold valid travel insurance covering medical expenses before travelling to Cuba.

As an American interested in independent travel (via Cancun), how would I go about getting a policy that doesn't leave a "paper trail" for US government bloodhounds to sniff?

Can I buy it in the Cancun Airport? Is the health policy requirement even enforced? Do they ask for proof upon arrival?
Was there two weeks ago and no one asked me any proof of insurance.
Enjoy your stay there, nice country with great people
Old Apr 2, 12, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

allianz sells travel insurance. they sell on the CO/UA site. my guess is that if you buy it directly, it will be outside the eyes of the federalies. allianz has divorced itself from the usa.

Search this Thread