FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   if Anthony Bourdain and other TV guys can travel to Cuba, why can't we go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1235241-if-anthony-bourdain-other-tv-guys-can-travel-cuba-why-cant-we-go.html)

ovaldisk Jul 9, 2011 4:18 pm

is there an app or dongle that will allow you to watch TV on the iPad 2? (in EU and/o

is there an app or dongle that will allow you to watch TV on the iPad 2? (in EU and/or North America)

benjaminm Jul 9, 2011 4:30 pm

As far as legal options go, anyone can get a licence to go for professional reasons including journalists. Do you think the embargo is serving US interests so well?

Ps bloggers can indeed apply for a licence as can any freelance journalist.

clacko Jul 9, 2011 4:49 pm

you can go to visit relatives, or take a cultural tour, but can't do what i want, which is go to havana for a few days.....

gpapadop Jul 9, 2011 5:10 pm

I am wondering if we could all get a license and have the first ever FT Mileage Seminar DO in Havana to show them what is possible with miles/points. You know, spread the revolution:D

greggwiggins Jul 9, 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop (Post 16700171)
I am wondering if we could all get a license and have the first ever FT Mileage Seminar DO in Havana to show them what is possible with miles/points. You know, spread the revolution:D

But Cubana doesn't have a frequent flyer program.

whackyjacky Jul 9, 2011 5:55 pm

I know guys that go all the time - illegally. Cuban immigration won't stamp your PP if you're American. Get a flight from MEX or CUN. Bring plenty of $$$ as you can't use CCs or TCs. Most of these guys rent apts and stay out of the hotels. I've been told that the law states that one can go to Cuba, but it's illegal to spend more than $100. If you want to do it legally, go on a prepaid - all inclusive tour. It's OK, as long as you don't pull out your wallet. I vaguely remember hearing scuttlebutt about a crackdown though. Better check that out before you go. wj

ovaldisk Jul 9, 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky (Post 16700325)
I know guys that go all the time - illegally. Cuban immigration won't stamp your PP if you're American. Get a flight from MEX or CUN. Bring plenty of $$$ as you can't use CCs or TCs. Most of these guys rent apts and stay out of the hotels. I've been told that the law states that one can go to Cuba, but it's illegal to spend more than $100. If you want to do it legally, go on a prepaid - all inclusive tour. It's OK, as long as you don't pull out your wallet. I vaguely remember hearing scuttlebutt about a crackdown though. Better check that out before you go. wj

so it's okay if someone flies to Havana in order to mug Fidel?(assuming he has a couple of American dollars in his wallet) as long as he/she spends the $2 back on American soil?

mapleg Jul 9, 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by ovaldisk (Post 16699951)
if Anthony Bourdain and other TV guys can travel to Cuba, why can't we go?

Who is "we"? Going to assume you mean Americans, it's not just Americans reading these forums. Many Canadians, Europeans and others vacation in Cuba every year. Just was reading the latest vacation offerings by a well known travel company in Canada...lots of Cuban offerings.

Coolers Jul 9, 2011 11:05 pm

What a shame. Cubans are generally the friendliest people I've ever encountered during my travels.

Ancien Maestro Jul 10, 2011 12:05 am

The thread title can be generalized for Americans..

For Canadians.. travelling to Cuba is quite easy.. and Cuba is targeting Canadians for the vacation business all of the time..

Scots_Al Jul 10, 2011 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16701410)
The thread title can be generalized for Americans..

For Canadians.. travelling to Cuba is quite easy.. and Cuba is targeting Canadians for the vacation business all of the time..

Indeed. Easy from Europe, too. Havana is a fantastic city, and Varadero has the most stunning beaches. The US embargo hurts Cuba, and in no way would I want it prolonged. But I would seriously advise anyone who had yet to go, to go before it is lifted - Havana streets with McDonalds, Starbucks, new Fords, etc. just won't be the same.

ovaldisk Jul 10, 2011 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 16701811)
Indeed. Easy from Europe, too. Havana is a fantastic city, and Varadero has the most stunning beaches. The US embargo hurts Cuba, and in no way would I want it prolonged. But I would seriously advise anyone who had yet to go, to go before it is lifted - Havana streets with McDonalds, Starbucks, new Fords, etc. just won't be the same.

the embargo is 50 years old.... probably a world record for someone holding a grudge? :D (edit, oopp, I forgot about the other one that's lasted 65 years and still ongoing, but cannot be mentioned on this forum)

I don't even hold a grudge against my ex-wife anymore for cheating on me with my niece and that was only 11 years, 7 months, 6 hours and 20 minutes ago. :mad:

meester69 Jul 10, 2011 5:51 am

Originally Posted by ovaldisk (Post 16702133)
I don't even hold a grudge against my ex-wife anymore for cheating on me with my niece and that was only 11 years, 7 months, 6 hours and 20 minutes ago. :mad:

Pics or it didn't happen. :p

Athena53 Jul 10, 2011 7:50 am

My church in NJ sent a whole choir there for an international choral festival, which was deemed to be cultural. How's your singing voice?:D

t325 Jul 10, 2011 8:19 am

I don't get it. The US doesn't care if its citizens travel to Iran or North Korea, but we can't travel to Cuba, a country 100 miles from our land that hasn't been hostile to us in 50 years.