Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family of 5 cruiseing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Family of 5 cruiseing?

We are looking in to going on a cruise next year. I wondered if there is one that we could get on ,. We are family of 5 2 adults + 13, 12, 11.
We would like to go around easter , begining of April probably the Medeterian one.
Is there a ship which would give us free children spaces or not charge us for under ocupancy?
So fa I found 12 days Med for Ł5600, which seems steep.
Any ideas, please?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:04 am

There are many lines with cabins that allow three to a cabin. You get one cabin for husband and wife and connecting or adjacent cabin for three children. Also many of the large speciality suites will sleep 5 even though they indicate 4. You have to get an overide for 5.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:38 am

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by missposh
We are looking in to going on a cruise next year. I wondered if there is one that we could get on ,. We are family of 5 2 adults + 13, 12, 11.
We would like to go around easter , begining of April probably the Medeterian one.
Is there a ship which would give us free children spaces or not charge us for under ocupancy?
So fa I found 12 days Med for Ł5600, which seems steep.
Any ideas, please?
The MSC ships generally offer fares with "children free" -- not sure about the 5 in one cabin.

The new Celebrity ships - Equinox and Solstice - do have Family Oceanview cabins with, IIRC, sleeping quarters for 5 -- 2 bedrooms (for each of 2 people) and a sofabed.

Of course, if you can only travel during the school holidays, the prices are going to quite high. And the larger cabins during the same holidays are going to be in demand.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer. It is brobably best to ring them up first then.
Yes we do have to go in school holidays, it might even be too late to book for next year.
It will give me a chance to read all the forums on the net!
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
I don't know any cruiseline that will let you book for five people in one cabin online; you have to call. Usually pricing is done with the first two people at the full price, and the rest of the people in the cabin at a reduced price or even free. As stated, MSC often has children sail free promotions, and other cruiselines will have promotions with the third and fourth people sailing at $99 each.

However, not sure this would be valid over a busy sailing week, such as around the Easter holiday when ships are quite full anyway.

Your problem is that cabins that hold five people, IMO, are quite expensive, so it's cheaper to book two cabins as suggested. But, then you are paying for four people at the full price.

You may want to do some research with a TA on this one
Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:14 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did 2 cruises with 5 in a room and the very uncomfortable cot you get for the 5th person makes it very tricky to navigate from an upper bunk to the bathroom at night. But it was the only way we could afford to go. In both cases it was just a standard room size on Carnival.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
5 is tight. Two cabins or a suite will probably be needed
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
try Cruise Compete

I would try Cruise Compete and see if you can get a lower price or a large ship on board credit :

http://www.cruisecompete.com/search.php

It has saved me roughly 5% to 15% per cruise vs. other websites.

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Look for a ship with a suite that will take 5. When my kids were young, we did 4 cruises on the sister ships Norwegian Wind and Dream (since long gone!). The Owner's Suites had a walk in closet with bunk beds and a pull out couch in the living room, kids were almost free and it came with great perks - butler and concierge service, priority tenders and dining reservations (which did not otherwise exist at the start of freestyle cruising) PLUS it was cheaper than two balcony cabins because the 3rd, 4th and 5th in the cabin were peanuts. Oh yes - a stocked bar - big savings on a cruise! Hard to find a suite like this though with beds for 5.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I know that everyone is trying to be helpful, but the OP made his/her request back in August of 2009!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Actually I am in the same boat. 2 adults with 3 kids, age 2, 4, and 6.
Looking to sail sometimes this summer August 2011.
Family suites sound great. But still expensive when compare to 2 cheapest cabins. Got to continue to dig around, or probably call them up.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:12 am

Hi. How about you plan a 7 NIGHT WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE onboard the Oasis of the Seas by Royal Caribbean International. This Cruise will take you to the following destinations - Barcelona - Palma de Mallorca - Marseille - Florence - Civitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mydh2019
Hi. How about you plan a 7 NIGHT WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE onboard the Oasis of the Seas by Royal Caribbean International. This Cruise will take you to the following destinations - Barcelona - Palma de Mallorca - Marseille - Florence - Civitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona
I’m pretty sure they made a choice as this thread is eight years old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.