Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Should I use a travel agent to book a cruise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I use a travel agent to book a cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
It's ironic you mention discounting commission in a thread about some cruise lines banning that practise. Previous poster failed to specify which cruise they were on so that might not be possible at all regardless of which TA they go with.

And as for the group space provided the cruise line will allow it as it's always subject to the capacity controls, the other TA could create as group and match the price so it's not that hard.
If you think it is not possible for travel agents to discount cruise lines that "ban" the practice, you are sorely mistaken. There are ways around it. As for another agent grabbing group space, it all depends on how far out the cruise is as to whether or not group space may still be available. Don't forget, to take group space, an agent must put down a deposit, albeit a small one, and some agencies don't have the cash flow to do that.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by hedo_traveler
Don't forget, to take group space, an agent must put down a deposit, albeit a small one, and some agencies don't have the cash flow to do that.
Sorry but that's false as cruise lines will allow TA's to form a group and take advantage of special pricing without a deposit and I do it frequently. There is a deadline to recall space that normally starts at 90 days out or earlier if there is no activity on the file.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:56 pm

Frequent RCCL cruiser

I'm one cruise point (meaning day) short of Diamond Plus on RCCL. I've booked all my cruises myself, except I went with Continental airlines' cruise site for two recent cruises and United Airlines brand new cruise site for two coming up. Why? ONLY because I was able to get bonus airline miles. Frankly, I still did all my own research and, in the end, as usual, I found that I knew as much or more than the agents...both very professional, pleasant, helpful, and thankful for my business...but no where near my level of knowledge about RCCL cruising.

My concern in reading this thread is that travel agents weighed in. I think this should be a thread by customers and not travel agents...obviously they're biased! I like to hear "pros and cons" from customers only...those who have points to make "for" using a TA and those who have points to make "against." Freedom of speech, of course, but you travel agents who responded here have only turned me more away from using TAs!
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by AQFlyer
My concern in reading this thread is that travel agents weighed in. I think this should be a thread by customers and not travel agents...obviously they're biased! I like to hear "pros and cons" from customers only...those who have points to make "for" using a TA and those who have points to make "against." Freedom of speech, of course, but you travel agents who responded here have only turned me more away from using TAs!
Yeah, right. You preface these comments by saying you've booked all you cruises yourself so how can you turn away from TA's if you've never used one? Obviously you're biased!

BTW I never claimed I wasn't biased about promoting TA's. What I've expressed is my humble opinion and I am grateful FT isn't about stifling participation or sharing ones opinion whether all readers like it or not.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
I am not a travel agent. My handle "DeirdreTours" comes from my husband's nickname for our family vacations-- all researched and booked by me.

But, I am also puzzled when I read a post stating that so and so shouldn't post on topic. For goodness sake, it is a public forum! If you aren't interested in a particular poster's pov, don't read it-- just skip the the next post that interests you.

Also, I think you have missed the key point in WHY to book through a TA for cruises: It almost always costs less. But feel free to book yourself and pay a little more.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:37 am

Hey

The thread is shifting from the main point but thanks to you all. I have got my tickets booked by myself and by agent also. According to me agent is good for group booking or package booking.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:34 am

+1 for using an travel agent.

I've only cruised twice. But, each time using an travel agent provided more value for my money.

I used the site others have mentioned where agents compete for yor cruise vacation. I was able to choose from about a dozen offers each time. I took the best 2 offers from the compete site and compared them against the cruise line's own web site. Both times the site that competes for my cruise money offered better value (on-board credits, complimentary premium dining, paid travel insurance, better class of cabin for the price, etc.).

This has been my personal experience.

Last edited by NEMMRRC; Apr 15, 2011 at 10:36 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:48 pm

Travel Agent or No Travel Agent

The human factor can be invaluable when being wielded by a competent individual. Travel agents wield allot more influence when dealing with the cruise lines than you do as an individual. If they lose you as a customer you may mean the loss of only a couple of sales. However, if they can't make your travel agent happy it could mean the loss of thousands of sales. You may not get all the benefits and discounts that you would get with a site, but a knowledgeable travel agent will be a godsend if you get in a tight spot. I hope this post was helpful.
-Mark
travelpirate.info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.