Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Should I use a travel agent to book a cruise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I use a travel agent to book a cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:47 am

My friends from Spain are spending two months with us. They want to get married and they want it to be as romantic as possible. Do you have any ideas?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1 MM, Platinum. Marriott-Hilton Gold
Having started the thread, I thought I would post my own experience after my cruise. I ended up booking direct through celebrity web site. There were two price drops (I used to monitor it on a daily basis) and got another $5000 per person off. I did not meet anyone on the cruise who had paid lower than me for a concierge class. In some cases prices would go down for a day or two. I don't think a TA would be looking out for me as much as i would for myself. No disrespect to the wonderful TAs on this board. It just could mean my TA was not as agile as some on this board.

A good place to monitor cruise price drops is through postings on cruisecritic web site. Our southbound Alaska Cruise was a great experience and we are already in the process of booking two more cruises for next year! I think Cruises are a wonderful way to see the world. Some one "drives' you in the night and you spend the day at the port of call and retire for the night only to wake up in another exotic location! The food on-board was great and the views were excellent.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Upnorth,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! We love cruising, having been on 14....and our next 3 are already booked!

I started using a TA 2 years ago when booking our honeymoon cruise. Not that I couldn't do it myself, but I felt that with all the wedding drama going on, I wanted someone on our side to look out for things, make sure I paid the bill on time, etc.

On the advice of someone from this board, I found myself a Virtuoso agent, and I've used her for our cruises ever since. I'm certainly able to handle a basic Caribbean cruise, but for our 11-night Eastern Med on Celebrity Equinox next year, our agent is arranging a couple of private tours for us, one during the cruise and the other in Rome beforehand. I like the idea of building an agent relationship for those slightly more complicated vacations (like our trip to Iceland 3 years ago where we never would've seen some of the things we did without an agent).
Old Jul 23, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: aadvantage platinum, united premier, Northwest Gold Elite
cruisecompete has always been the heat for me. I use it for my annual cruise and I seem to score as good if not better than my fellow passengers.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diamond, AA LT Gold, SouthWest Comp Pass
I have used Cruise Quick with great results. I have never seen their price beat and the service is very good.

http://cruisequick.com/
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by upnorth
There were two price drops (I used to monitor it on a daily basis) and got another $5000 per person off.
Some price drop. Were you booking a round the world Penthouse suite on Celebrity?

I did not meet anyone on the cruise who had paid lower than me for a concierge class.
Anecdotal and inexact evidence to be sure as personally I don't like when others boldy ask me what I paid for my trip.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
Anecdotal and inexact evidence to be sure as personally I don't like when others boldy ask me what I paid for my trip.
When asked, which is pretty rare and seemingly only at a lunch on a sea day, (no matter if I paid a regular rate or got an agent deal) I just say smile and say "the CLIA rate" and don't expound beyond that.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2buynfly
I have used Cruise Quick with great results. I have never seen their price beat and the service is very good.

http://cruisequick.com/
Tested them for 3 different ships sailing in October 2009. They lost every time.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
I have a great travel agent we found using cruisecompete. Cruisecompete is a great service, but as others have said, having a travel agent is invaluable when there are problems.

My TA has also been able to get RC to move on some things that I couldn't get them to move on when I called directly. After that help, I was a convert.

No doubt it makes it tougher to get a lower price if you can't get TA on the phone when the rate drops. But, so far, haven't been stung by that. She's been available when I've needed her.
Yes I have booked two cruises and now my third one always through the agent for many reasons.product knowledge one on one contact with a consultant to handle anything should something go wrong and above all choice of payment method.also and i am from australia there is this sign on the window without a travel agnet youre on your own
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:57 am

Thanks for the information

I am not an experienced cruiser like many of you on this board. Cruisecompete just saved me $230 per person over anything else I could find online or through a local travel agent.

The lowest quote was from cruisevacationoutlet.com and I am very happy with their customer service.

It was very much worth going through cruisecompete because the published price on cruisevacationoutlet was $200 more than what I booked for,
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Just FYI, I have twice used cruisevacationoutlet and have both times had good service from them.

I love cruisecompete too.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Upnorth,

Glad you enjoyed your cruise! We love cruising, having been on 14....and our next 3 are already booked!

I started using a TA 2 years ago when booking our honeymoon cruise. Not that I couldn't do it myself, but I felt that with all the wedding drama going on, I wanted someone on our side to look out for things, make sure I paid the bill on time, etc.

On the advice of someone from this board, I found myself a Virtuoso agent, and I've used her for our cruises ever since. I'm certainly able to handle a basic Caribbean cruise, but for our 11-night Eastern Med on Celebrity Equinox next year, our agent is arranging a couple of private tours for us, one during the cruise and the other in Rome beforehand. I like the idea of building an agent relationship for those slightly more complicated vacations (like our trip to Iceland 3 years ago where we never would've seen some of the things we did without an agent).
Hopefully you see this. WE are considering the same cruise for the Juen 6 departure. By chance, do you have any pics of the cabins that show a quad setup?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:40 pm

Celebrity's prices are governed to be the same whether you call Celebrity direct or your travel agent. The prices on the Celebrity site don't include tax unless you go all the way through to the point of entering your credit card so there is the difference. I agree with above comments that travel agents, reputable ones are the best source! Celebrity will have you speaking with a different person everytime you call back for service and agents have value added offers like on oboard credits or paid gratuities on higher cabin levels. I found an agent on facebook that is affiliated with amex and she's awesome
Old Jan 19, 2011, 2:34 pm

Just to throw my two bits in...
In general, we normally like to research and book our travel ourselves direct. We only go through a TA if it's a quirky itinerary or if it's a deal through a consolidator.
However, for our four cruises, we've always gone through a TA. Main reason being is that there's no cost advantage/disadvantage in doing so, so why not have a second set of eyes for your trip. YMMV depending on how good of a TA you find but person experience has been...
We've always had to find & notify our TA about price discounts but they've been pretty good about following up with Royal Caribbean.
They've provided us some perks in our cabin
Never really got any nuggets of info that we found really handy. [Part of this tho is that we spend countless hours researching our trips as it is part of the fun. For someone where this is a chore, I can see where TA's can fill in the gaps.]
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
After using travel agents for our first 6 cruises because of the availability of better deals, we booked direct with our assigned Carnival Personal Vacation Planner (who has been very persistent in trying to get my business over the years) for the next one. It's actually been great, and I'll probably never use a TA again. I hope TA's like the results of what they pushed for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.