Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Informal Clothes for a Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Informal Clothes for a Cruise

Hi - I'm Starr, and new to this cool site. I've already gotten some great tips, and would like some advice on what to take for a December cruise to the Panama Canal and other warm places. My husband and I took a cruise to the "Mexican Riviera" for our honeymoon on the Celebrity line (great) and a second one on another line that was not so great. These cruises had formal and informal nights as well as casual ones.

The cruise we will be taking is on Azzamara, Celebrity's smaller ship line. There will be about 700 passangers, and no formal nights - the brochure says dress is casual. I'm not sure what to take. Black is usually my travel staple color, but on the last cruises, to warm places, I took lighter colors - tan and khaki with some accent colors.

I would appreciate any advice!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Welcome to FT. I took Celebrity to Alaska and it was a nice cruise line. Since you're going to hot climate, I'd say some sort of khaki/docker pants and any time of short sleeve shirt--polo or button down style for dinner. Otherwise, I'd say you could go around in shorts and polo shirt with sandals or similar. No flip flops.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
You'll want to be a step or 2 above jeans and t-shirts. They'll let you into the dining room unless you're neckid, but you'll attract stares if you're not properly dressed. If you were going to work, the term would be smart casual. For ladies; slacks or skirts with casual tops. For men; khakis and golf shirts or aloha shirts (not too loud). Enjoy - I'm jealous.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 8:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Starrella, welcome to FlyerTalk! For added replies, please follow this in our Cruise forum, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat Elite Royal Ambass, HHon Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hertz 5*
In June/July I did a 14 day Med Cruise with Azamara Quest, the ship is beautiful and so nice being a smaller ship. The entertainment is not what you get on a bigger ship but the itin was so shore intensive that it didn't matter.

People dressed in all styles on the ship, some too casual and then some people still dressed up. If you plan to eat in either Aqualina or Prime C the dress code is still Casual just Smart Casual. In Discoveries it is Nice Casual. A few people came in in shorts etc, but not many. If eating in the buffet Windows, it is extremely Casual, as it is just beside the pool.

It was extremely warm during this cruise and it was nice to be able to dress in dockers and linen etc for the meals.

The Azamara Ship Journey is exactly the same.

Have a great time, I hope you enjoy it.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In spite of the already good advice you've gotten here, don't neglect asking any cruise questions on cruisecritic.com It's the flyertalk for cruising.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 9:19 am

I would bring light colored casual clothes and maybe a set of more formal clothing for events. don't make the mistake of wearing dark clothes to a hot climate. You'll really feel it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.