Search

Stop the cruise I want to get off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Stop the cruise I want to get off

My wife and I are considering a transatlantic re-positioning cruise that ends in NYC. It coincides with a previously planned trip to Europe so instead of flying return we can take a boat back.

More convenient for us however would be disembarking a day earlier in Halifax because it lands us in our home country and we avoid having to fly back into Canada from NYC. Has anyone done something similar and how did you do it? Is this something we should notify the cruise line beforehand or just walk off with our luggage when we arrive in Halifax and let the boat carry on without us? If notice is suggested should it be before booking or after departure?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Badenoch
My wife and I are considering a transatlantic re-positioning cruise that ends in NYC. It coincides with a previously planned trip to Europe so instead of flying return we can take a boat back.

More convenient for us however would be disembarking a day earlier in Halifax because it lands us in our home country and we avoid having to fly back into Canada from NYC. Has anyone done something similar and how did you do it? Is this something we should notify the cruise line beforehand or just walk off with our luggage when we arrive in Halifax and let the boat carry on without us? If notice is suggested should it be before booking or after departure?
Yes, this type of thing can be done, "depending"...

You should arrange this with the cruise line, preferably, because there may well be a need for special arrangements regarding immigrations. It can be different if one is "getting off for the day" vs. staying off.

If Halifax is a large port where some people do "arrive", this shouldn't be a huge problem (?).

So you know, this is typically NOT possible on "closed loop" cruises from a USA port (e.g., Caribbean cruise starting/ending in Miami).
There is an obscure to most law that prohibits non-USA-flagged ships from carrying passengers (similar law for cargo) from one USA port to a different USA port, not counting "day trips/excursions" off a cruise ship" where one both arrives and departs on the same ship.

That doesn't apply if there are not two different USA ports involved.

GC
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did your cruise line say when you called to ask? Strikes me as a simple commercial question best asked of the vendor.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Agree with all above. While it can be and is done it might not be available at Halifax. Only the cruise line would know.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Often1
What did your cruise line say when you called to ask? Strikes me as a simple commercial question best asked of the vendor.
Too often I see this as an immediate response, indicating that posters should have already posed their scenario to the travel vendor before bothering the FT community. I believe that it is reasonable to post a question to get some feedback from the community before calling. It allows you to have some basis to assess the response you get from the travel company. If for example others have been successful and you call and are told no way, you already know it is reasonable to hang up and call again. There are other insights that can be helpful to have before contacting the supplier,

Discouraging people in their attempts to get travel insights on Flyertalk seems to be against the mission and spirit. I know there are plenty of annoying " Research my trip for me" posts, but one can just scroll on by.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Before booking I'm seeking the opinions of people who may have actually done it to determine what might be required. My preference would be to not signal my intent to the company and would rather let them know after we'd sailed.

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Agree with all above. While it can be and is done it might not be available at Halifax. Only the cruise line would know.
I'm a Canadian citizen and the ship is stopping in Canada. I can't be kept out of my own country or forced against my will to return to the ship. How can it not be "available?"
Silver Fox and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:48 am

Before booking I'm seeking the opinions of people who may have actually done it to determine what might be required. My preference would be to not signal my intent to the company and would rather let them know after we'd sailed.

I'm a Canadian citizen and the ship is stopping in Canada. I can't be kept out of my own country or forced against my will to return to the ship. How can it not be "available?"
No or lazy immigration officers ?? Don't you have to check in when returning?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:04 am

If the port is not set up or ready to process Immigration and Customs then it’s not available. I honestly don’t know and that’s why I suggested you contact the cruise line. Most probably it won’t be an issue but it’s worth checking. You also have to consider you’ll want to make sure the cruise line knows you’re disembarking. They keep track of all goings and comings so if you simply walk off without them knowing you’ve actually disembarked and not coming back then you’ve potentially held up the whole ship as they typically don’t like to leave without all passengers back in the ship.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"

If the port is not set up or ready to process Immigration and Customs then it’s not available. I honestly don’t know and that’s why I suggested you contact the cruise line. Most probably it won’t be an issue but it’s worth checking. You also have to consider you’ll want to make sure the cruise line knows you’re disembarking. They keep track of all goings and comings so if you simply walk off without them knowing you’ve actually disembarked and not coming back then you’ve potentially held up the whole ship as they typically don’t like to leave without all passengers back in the ship.
This!

Also, *don't* wait until you're on board and have sailed!
Then you've just made it MUCH more difficult for the cruise line to help arrange this, plus the time crunch and uncertainty for you.

GC
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by xooz
Too often I see this as an immediate response, indicating that posters should have already posed their scenario to the travel vendor before bothering the FT community. I believe that it is reasonable to post a question to get some feedback from the community before calling. It allows you to have some basis to assess the response you get from the travel company. If for example others have been successful and you call and are told no way, you already know it is reasonable to hang up and call again. There are other insights that can be helpful to have before contacting the supplier,

Discouraging people in their attempts to get travel insights on Flyertalk seems to be against the mission and spirit. I know there are plenty of annoying " Research my trip for me" posts, but one can just scroll on by.
+10000

It's more common of course on another well known travel site where people like to continuously chirp "What did the airline/hotel/cruiseline/tour company say when you called them'. Let's think about this...some airlines and tour companies may have you on hold for an hour or more to even talk to someone., There is also the distinct possibility that the answer given is incorrect due to lack of training or lack of customer service skills.

There's nothing wrong at all about going to a travel forum such as flyertalk or others and asking a travel related question. No use crabbing out about it.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I would definitely let the cruise line know to prevent them waiting for my return. I wouldn't tell them however until we'd sailed and probably not sooner than the day before we arrived in Halifax. It's quite unlikely they would forcibly keep me on the vessel.

I would assume there is a CBSA facility at Halifax or at least an office I could contact. I'm not looking to circumvent immigration and customs. If "not available" is that really my problem? Canadian passenger gets off cruise boat and goes home. Is it possible to be an illegal immigrant in your own country? It's an intriguing question.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
+10000

It's more common of course on another well known travel site where people like to continuously chirp "What did the airline/hotel/cruiseline/tour company say when you called them'. Let's think about this...some airlines and tour companies may have you on hold for an hour or more to even talk to someone., There is also the distinct possibility that the answer given is incorrect due to lack of training or lack of customer service skills.

There's nothing wrong at all about going to a travel forum such as flyertalk or others and asking a travel related question. No use crabbing out about it.
Exactly. FT people of all people should know that you don't always get the correct answer from low level agents. Just like knowing what alternate flights you want to take will help when trying to rebook, OP knowing what his real options are will help when he finally does call the cruise line.

CruiseCritic.com would say the same thing.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:14 pm

I would definitely let the cruise line know to prevent them waiting for my return. I wouldn't tell them however until we'd sailed and probably not sooner than the day before we arrived in Halifax. It's quite unlikely they would forcibly keep me on the vessel.

I would assume there is a CBSA facility at Halifax or at least an office I could contact. I'm not looking to circumvent immigration and customs. If "not available" is that really my problem? Canadian passenger gets off cruise boat and goes home. Is it possible to be an illegal immigrant in your own country? It's an intriguing question.
Guess you’ve figured it all out by yourself. Have a great cruise.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

In my experience, if you're not back on time, the ship will leave you there. I've seen this happen. They will NOT wait. I've also seen people disembark a cruise earlier than the scheduled end (in Europe).

Honestly, being that you're Canadian, I doubt this will be a problem. Unless they were not planning on letting anyone even disembark for the day in Halifax, you should be able to leave then. Ask the cruise line.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
You really need to contact the cruise line before you sail. Most if not all lines will permit this.The issue is whether or not there will be customs officials available for "permanent disembarkation" versus just "clearing the ship" to dock and allow people off to do tours, etc. Your cruise line would know and probably assist you in doing this if it is not always a regular service.
Not sure if disembarking early without notice would cause a fine to the cruise line(and since they have your credit card they would pass it on to you).
But I don't think you can bypass customs and immigration in Halifax when you were outside of Canada because you are Canadian.
You can ask if they will reduce your cruise fare by disembarking early or at least not charge you for gratuities after you leave so it could save you some money!
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.