FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Transatlantic cruises - weather? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/797068-transatlantic-cruises-weather.html)

Romelle Mar 2, 2008 8:23 pm

Transatlantic cruises - weather?

I'm looking at a transatlantic cruise from Europe to Brazil - probably either Holland America or MSC. I know they run just when the good weather ends in one area and move to another where the good weather is just starting. I'm wondering just what sort of ride one will get across the Atlantic. In my worst nightmare, I see these huge waves sloshing across the ship's deck and glasses/dishes crashing to the floor?

Comments anyone?

The price for the trip is wonderful, and I think I can swing the two OW flights at the endpoints via miles, so it is a great deal if it makes sense.

Thank you,
Romelle

oldpenny16 Mar 3, 2008 6:46 am

Been there and done that! My husband was very seasick and miserable!

Those crossings are often priced cheap for a reason! You need to find out which ship and do some checking. Some of the cruise ships ride very badly in rough seas.

puppysara Mar 3, 2008 6:59 am

We've done three crossings. I don't do well with movement, but take sea sick meds 24/7. Never done Europe to So America, just Europe to US. Out of about 40 days at sea, we had only two with any significant movement. Those days I retire to bed with a book and I'm ok. All three crossings were in the fall, Oct/Nov. Good luck.

boxo Mar 3, 2008 3:07 pm

I circled the North Atlantic last Aug/Sept: HAM-Orkney-Faroe-KEF-Greenland-Canada-Ireland-HAM. Yes, there were nights at sea with pitching and rolling, creaking and groaning :p I prayed would pass quickly, but never did I feel in any danger.

The longest (and easiest) stretch at sea was 3-4 days, between Canada and Ireland. The most "turbulent" were the 1-2 nights in the north, north seas.

Would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat! Like everyone else said, be sure to take meds. BTW, pills were available at the concierge's desk on board - two types: one "strong" and one "less strong". I opted for the less strong which worked like magic and... turned out to be ginger capsules!

How many nights at sea between EU and Brazil?

boxo Mar 3, 2008 3:16 pm

Just thought I'd add: the ship I was on was a smaller vessel, max. paying pax of 500. The size of the ship may play a role in how much movement is felt as well as its stabilization gizmos.

Romelle Mar 3, 2008 6:05 pm

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Very helpful!

The MSC one I'm looking at:

Sun Nov 30 Venice, Italy
Mon Dec 1 Dubrovnik, Croatia
Tue Dec 2 At Sea
Wed Dec 3 Tunis, Tunisia
Thu Dec 4 At Sea
Fri Dec 5 Malaga, Spain
Sat Dec 6 Casablanca, Morocco
Sun Dec 7 At Sea
Mon Dec 8 Tenerife, Canary Islands
Tue Dec 9 At Sea
Wed Dec 10 At Sea
Thu Dec 11 At Sea
Fri Dec 12 At Sea
Sat Dec 13 Fortaleza, Brazil
Sun Dec 14 At Sea
Mon Dec 15 Salvador, Brazil
Tue Dec 16 At Sea
Wed Dec 17 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thu Dec 18 Sao Paolo (Santos), Brazil

Romelle

obscure2k Mar 3, 2008 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Romelle (Post 9352276)
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Very helpful!

The MSC one I'm looking at:

Sun Nov 30 Venice, Italy
Mon Dec 1 Dubrovnik, Croatia
Tue Dec 2 At Sea
Wed Dec 3 Tunis, Tunisia
Thu Dec 4 At Sea
Fri Dec 5 Malaga, Spain
Sat Dec 6 Casablanca, Morocco
Sun Dec 7 At Sea
Mon Dec 8 Tenerife, Canary Islands
Tue Dec 9 At Sea
Wed Dec 10 At Sea
Thu Dec 11 At Sea
Fri Dec 12 At Sea
Sat Dec 13 Fortaleza, Brazil
Sun Dec 14 At Sea
Mon Dec 15 Salvador, Brazil
Tue Dec 16 At Sea
Wed Dec 17 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Thu Dec 18 Sao Paolo (Santos), Brazil

Romelle

This looks like one fabulous cruise. I have done several Transatlantic crossings. The only rough one was on the QE2 in December. There was snow on the decks and the pax were confined to indoors. The best T.A. crossings have been on the very much smaller Sea Goddess ships (more like yachts). We sailed several times from (either Portugal, Canary Isles) to the Caribbean. I found the South Atlantic cruises in late November to be wonderful; very relaxing, great weather and very CALM waters. Nothing more relaxing than days at sea. The only dicey water you may encounter is out of VCE. The sailing out of Tenerife is very calm and beautiful. I'm sure you'll love it.

boxo Mar 4, 2008 10:53 am

Nice itin. I'm envious. You had me searching for repo cruises yesterday just for the fun of it.

You may already know this, but your cabin location can be crucial. Less movement is felt if you are lower & midship.

ConciergeMike Mar 5, 2008 8:53 pm

Not only cabin location, but ship itself. Newer and heavier tend to equal a better ride. According to Cruise Critic, the yard that builds MSC also built QM2. Hard to argue with that.

oldpenny16 Mar 6, 2008 6:38 am

but the Queen Vic has been nicknamed 'Sicky Vicky' for very good reason! Not all new is great.

Nobbi Mar 6, 2008 3:30 pm

A more southern route may be better. I did a Norway-Faroe-Iceland-Greenland-NYC crossing im September. We were caught in hurricane winds with ashtrays flying, closed decks, panels coming of walls and flooded cabins.

We were fine. I just don't get seasick. It was fun, but the engineers were nervous, checking the life boats. Many criuse ships are NOT built for this crossing like the QM2.

jackthebox Mar 9, 2008 12:23 pm

Wow. This really looks like a nice cruise. Hope you don't get sea sick! Enjoy! ^

The Winger Apr 11, 2008 1:21 pm

I did a crossing with my family on the QM2 last October NYC-Southampton and it was absolutely brilliant. My wife was a little concerned she wasn't going to be able to handle it but you could barely feel any movement. One afternoon we sat in the Golden Lion Pub and watched as we were going through some huge waves that were crashing against the ship (well huge to us), and being from the prairies we thought it was pretty cool, but it was the only rough day at sea.

We are doing the crossing on the QM2 again this August but this time Southampton-NYC. Can't wait!

YVR Cockroach Apr 11, 2008 1:32 pm

You'll survive just fine. :) Until 20 years ago, there were still liners plying the north Atlantic. My partner's parents immigrated to Canada taking a ship from Bremen to Quebec on a German liner (should have taken an Italian liner as it was much nicer for the same fare) in the early '50s. Treated themselves on their first trip back home after 6-7 years in Canada. Roundtrip ship fare for a couple, an infant and a huge Chrysler was about the same as flying from western Canada to Austria.

Pincus Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm

No one can predict weather or the seas. One seasoned sailor that I respect says: "The ocean is always in motion."

Have you ever experienced motion sickness?

Each individual is different. Only you can know if you are susceptible.

You've received very good advice here.

Good luck!