Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What to wear on a cruise?

Old Mar 1, 08, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Hi.
I need some help. I am going on a cruise party and I do not know what 2 wear!!
My friends are wearing designer dresses with the latest trends. I have consulted them but they all give outdated ideas, as you know that everyone wants to be at his best.
So it beats me as what to do and I know later that it will be a puzzle for me on what to wear. I have heard about accessories being sold online with the best tags on them. I have never purchased anything via net, so I require the suggestions of online shoppers who can guide me with their experience on online shopping.
Old Mar 1, 08, 9:29 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by marris_cook View Post
Hi.
My friends are wearing designer dresses with the latest trends. I have consulted them but they all give outdated ideas, as you know that everyone wants to be at his best.
So it beats me as what to do and I know later that it will be a puzzle for me on what to wear. I have heard about accessories being sold online with the best tags on them. I have never purchased anything via net, so I require the suggestions of online shoppers who can guide me with their experience on online shopping.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, marris_cook!

You will get a beter response by posing this question in the Cruises forum http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=179 with a more appropriate title, such as "What to wear on a cruise?"

Hope this helps.

Aloha kakou!
Old Mar 1, 08, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kaukau View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk, marris_cook!

You will get a beter response by posing this question in the Cruises forum with a more appropriate title, such as "What to wear on a cruise?"

Hope this helps.

Aloha kakou!
excellent advice

welcome to FlyerTalk, marris_cook

for your convenience, I edited the thread title and moved the thread into the cruises forum. please make yourself comfortable with the topics of each forum, before you start a new thread. and if you need any help, please don't hesitate to contact a forum moderator.

regards

chrissxb
co-moderator
communitybuzz!
Old Mar 1, 08, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by marris_cook View Post
Hi.
A lot about how you dress depends on the cruise line, ship and itinerary. Could you tell us that so we can better assist?

Regarding accessories, I've always found the best buys are actually onboard the ship on the day of or evening before the formal night (as long as you're at sea and the shops are open) - you're "in the mood" and happy and the deals are great and very blingy!

Most of all -- be comfortable, lose the stockings (if you're in the Caribbean it's usually hot and muggy), and have a lot of fun! No one really cares in the end what you're wearing as long as you like it.
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:28 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
what to wear

I have been on several cruises, and women wear the gamut - from cocktail dresses, to business suits, to dresses to sundresses...don't worry - you'll be fine
Old Mar 8, 08, 11:37 pm
formerly Baxter&Bessies'Mama

Originally Posted by DADISGARYK View Post
I have been on several cruises, and women wear the gamut - from cocktail dresses, to business suits, to dresses to sundresses...don't worry - you'll be fine
Yup!

As my hub said, "How come men have to wear a tux or a least a suit, but a woman can show up on formal night looking like she's wearing her pajamas?" Because women's fashion runs the gamut in style and preference. Lucky us!
Old Mar 9, 08, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont think theyd let you into queens grill wearing something that looked like pajamas

i skipped formal nights on seabourn, and took mostly beachwear(linens, khakis,etc) and some dress separates.
(transatlantic FLL>LIS)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 10, 08 at 3:34 pm
Old Mar 10, 08, 8:53 am

Several questions:
What is the length of the cruise?
What is the Itinerary?
What cruise line is it?
What kind of activites is the cruise line offering?
What kind of climate will you be in?
You answers will help us help you.

Also, despite the most careful consideration of appropriate clothing, many passengers still find themselves lacking an essential item or two. If this is the case, the boutiques on board can supply most items, including swimwear, t-shirts and sweatshirts, and even formal attire.
Old Mar 10, 08, 11:55 am

Iím a cruise neophyte, but will be taking a Disney Cruise in May. My father has set up a family get together. It is a bit daunting the amount of stuff I will probably need to haul down to Florida. We have one 5 year old.

Iíll be dragging the Tux I own down, and Iíve bought the kid a dark suit on Ebay. Who knows if he will actually wear it.

Any tips on what I should and should not bring will be most appreciated.
Old Mar 10, 08, 2:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Since it's a Disney cruise, I think you'll be able to be on the more casual side of the evenings dress code requirements. Look carefully at your cruise packet to see how many formal, informal, and casual evenings you'll have. Usually the cruise line will also give some suggestions for attire (i.e. slacks and a polo shirt for casual nights, blazer for informal, and tux or dark suit for formal evenings).

As other people have said, don't sweat the small stuff! If you need extra suntan lotion or tshirt, you can always buy them on the ship or onshore. They might jack you an extra buck or two, but try to relax and have fun!
Old Mar 13, 08, 9:33 am
ecq

i'm going on a 5-day cruise to canada in july. first time, didnt' want to go to bahamas with such a long time to get there, also didnt' want to fly down. i live in ny, we have ports here.

so i'm wondering what to bring? i was thinking of jeans, tank tops, some t-shirts, jackets (just in case it's cold). but do i need a dress for dinner? it's a carnival cruise.

any help would be graet.
Old Mar 15, 08, 1:33 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
You can find lots of answers to these questions on cruisecritic.com.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: