Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone feel dizzy and have a spinning head days after cruising?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone feel dizzy and have a spinning head days after cruising?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have been off the ship for 3 days now and am experiencing dizziness but only at night in the dark. I can't seem to walk a straight line to the bathroom.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:36 am

the last 2 cruises (both on RCL) we got back on land, a day or 2 before Christmas.

All I recall is that whilst at mass, I was evvverrr so slightly rocking back and forth and I tell 'ya, it was such a 'floaaaaty' feeling' that eventually went away.

Sadface!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question cruise boats with pontoons

I have been told that this syndrome is reduced/eliminated with certain cruise boats which use pontoons (presumably for stabilization @ sea)? Anyone heard of this?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I have been told that this syndrome is reduced/eliminated with certain cruise boats which use pontoons (presumably for stabilization @ sea)? Anyone heard of this?
Cruise ships don't have pontoons. What they do have are stabilizers. Stabilizers look a lot like small aircraft wings that are below the waterline and work by counter balancing the rolling of a ship. To the best of my knowledge there isn't a cruise ship/ocean liner in use today without stabilizers. Not exactly a new invention as they've been used in some form since the 1930's though the technology has improved. Stabilizers don't in and of themselves eliminate the syndrome though they can and do make a cruise more pleasant. The actual cause of the syndrome is generically being at sea but there are many factors like length of the cruise, weather/sea conditions, and most importantly the individual's propensity to be sensitive or not that come into play. There is no single known cause or for that matter treatment.

Last edited by Randyk47; Sep 14, 2016 at 6:19 am
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:56 am

This happened to my first cruise. Lasted probably 5 days before my sea legs wore off. Hasn't happened on my 2 cruises since though. Same for my sea sickness.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:07 pm

I get this after every cruise I've been on, with the longest lasting about a month afterwards! I've discovered that if I take gravol before bed once home, it eliminates this problem immediately.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:01 am

I just got off the Paradise

Originally Posted by briksitmedial
Well it's 2016 and there is still no remedy for this very common feeling. I just wanted to respond and say Thank you to all those who contributed to this reply..
I just returned from Cozumel, Mexico through Carnival Paradise and I must say we had a blast. I got very sea-sick the first night of our 4 day cruise, but the next day and days thereafter I was fine. Now, 2 days after debarkment I am back home eating dinner at the kitchen table and I feel like I am in the Titantic as it's sinking...
Very weird feeling because I look at everyone else and they seem to be fine.. JUST ME..
According to the replies above I'm going to wait it out...It's simply just a very weird feeling.. dizzy and rocking but definitely on solid soil.

Thanks guys.. See you next cruise.

My boyfriend and I just got off of the Paradise from Cozumel just this past Monday. Both of us are very dizzy, and very tired. I can't believe he went back to work so fast. Fortunately I have the rest of the week off, and really hope this wears off soon, because I don't even feel comfortable driving my car right now.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
After over 2 weeks on a TPAC, we still had the rolling sensation when lying down or staying still for most of the week after. Ship was large and long (there was pitching but you didn't feel it - more see it) but had no stabilisers and the seas were rough with up to 15 degree rolls in the 1st half of the voyage. Didn't help to be near the top of the ship.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:06 am

Definitely common..... after 48 days continuously at sea (small frigate) I was like others in this thread... couldn't walk a straight line on the wharf...lol

It goes away......
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Yes, I have experienced this "reverse sea sickness" (or perhaps I should call it "land sickness") a little bit as well. Luckily, not too severe for me.

BTW, great question by the OP!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Yes, I have experienced this "reverse sea sickness" (or perhaps I should call it "land sickness") a little bit as well. Luckily, not too severe for me.

BTW, great question by the OP!
Our youngest child suffered from such horribly severe motion sickness that it resulted in her suffering symptoms of severe stomach flu (or poisoning) for several days after a flight. We seldom flew when our children were young, and I'm still embarrassed to say that it took two flights to Europe with her separated by several years to finally figure out her problem. Fortunately she largely outgrew it. Some interesting thoughts on motion sickness here. The very word "nausea" derives from the Greek word for "boat."

Agreed, great post by the OP!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:41 am
Suspended

Its pretty normal even just for a day tour in a cruise or just simply in a barge. Some usually carry an ointment or first aid kit before their travel. the feeling of nausea indeed, after the travel its like your still floating in the water with an aching head.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
I have this issue every time I take a cruise, regardless of length or roughness of seas. My doctor prescribed the seasickness patch for me to wear when I get off the ship. My symptoms have really decreased in severity and I'm now better in 2-3 days rather than suffering a week or more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.