Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Cruise Lines

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
The "new" Windstar yachts are the "old" Seabourn ships, right? The "little sisters"?
They won't be so little by the end of next year. They will be chopped in half and a new 84' section added in the middle, increasing capacity to 312 pax..
Old May 18, 2019, 2:27 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
They won't be so little by the end of next year. They will be chopped in half and a new 84' section added in the middle, increasing capacity to 312 pax..
I am sad about this. I love them as they are.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:32 pm
Original Member

I am considering Seabourn for the PanCanal cruise but the pricing differential vis Windstar (for larger suite) is sufficiently large so as to give me pause. I don't mind spending the bucks but I am desirous of quid pro quo. The cost of our Regent and Silversea voyages was entirely egregious when compared with what was delivered. So, I'm leaning toward Windstar yet again.

Looking to book for December or January.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Of the companies mentioned, none are luxury and Windstar as luxury is the biggest joke. But Windstar fits for you and that's cool. Why debate a non issue on here?
Old May 20, 2019, 7:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hedoman
Of the companies mentioned, none are luxury and Windstar as luxury is the biggest joke. But Windstar fits for you and that's cool. Why debate a non issue on here?
Just curious...if Regent and Silversea are not " luxury" cruise lines.... what are some? ( I don't know ...that is why I am asking.)
747FC and strickerj like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by david55
Just curious...if Regent and Silversea are not " luxury" cruise lines.... what are some? ( I don't know ...that is why I am asking.)
Short of having the funds to charter a truly luxury yacht I’d say Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, and a couple of others are about as close to luxury you’re going to get. Maybe it’s a comparison thing and it might be argued there really isn’t a truly luxury line.
Hoyaheel, 747FC and strickerj like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Using TA language, there are mass market, premium, and luxury. And as Randy notes, typically Silversea, Seabourn & Regent are in the "luxury" category. I use the term because that's the way the industry categorizes them, for better or worse.....

I do think that whether or not you believe they're "luxury", you'd have to agree at least on the general hierarchy within the industry?

I think it's useful to have a common language around discussing the options.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Also not complete (and a couple years old) but also how I understand the cruise industry. Not talking about charters.....

Intro to Cruise Line Categories: Mass Market, Premium, and Luxury ? Kevin Dern Travel
Batman's brother likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
For the common USA market, I agree with the listings. Anyone that sailed Silversea or Seabourn during their first few years of existence would know the definition of luxury at sea product. Today, Hapag-Lloyd has two ships that might be considered a step above. In the future, I would expect Ritz Carlton to be closer to the luxury product offered during mid/late 1990 decade. Also, Scenic and Hapag-Lloyd have exploration ships coming up that should fit this category. All the companies have huge common problem.......they must have people that can deliver in front of passengers and behind the scenes.

Anyway, we're into 2019. I must quit crying about what was and what is. Silversea has some great core passengers that do not mind paying sky high prices for a totally inferior product with inept management and second or third rate staff that are as loyal to the company as some passengers. I've never considered Regent in the luxury category, though many do. Sea Dream would be the old, old Seabourn luxury yachts. For value today, I subscribe to Crystal and Seabourn. It's an ever evolving industry......apologies for getting carried away.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
I don't mind spending the bucks but I am desirous of quid pro quo.
I have friends who took that cruise with Seabourn recently. They can be quite...picky about their travel needs, and they loved it! They did have to teach the bartenders their favorite cocktails, but it's a long cruise, so they had the time to train them fully!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
I'm planning a multi-generational (3 gens) Mediterranean cruise Summer 2020. Looking for a line / ship that can be considered premium to luxury, primarily English speaking, and good for kids (ages 7 and 9). I also prefer smaller ships to large ones, but I suppose we have to have at least a 50,000+ ton ship to have enough kid-friendly resources. Absolutely not a Disney Cruise - been there, done that, and Disney is not premium or luxury IMHO. What does "good for kids" mean? I would say:
  • Staff that caters to kids
  • Fellow passengers who won't constantly thumb their noses up at kids
  • A reasonable number of additional kids on the ship
  • Good family pool facilities, water features / slides (prob not going to find this on the smaller luxury ships)
  • Kid-friendly entertainment
  • Kid's programming, crafts, etc. and/or Kid's Club
I've found 2 itineraries I like, one on the not-yet-launched Regent Splendor and one on the fairly new Celebrity Edge. Surprisingly, the Regent appears to be a far superior value. For suites of a similar size (3rd category from the best), Celebrity winds up costing nearly $10,000 more, all-in, for 5 people. A large portion of the price delta is driven by Regent's "Free Business Class" air package. Appreciate any insight on these 2 options, as well as any other suggestions I may not have mentioned.

N.B. I have read good things about Crystal Serenity as it relates to family friendly cruising, but I haven't found a good itinerary for our dates.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by trojanman
I'm planning a multi-generational (3 gens) Mediterranean cruise Summer 2020. Looking for a line / ship that can be considered premium to luxury, primarily English speaking, and good for kids (ages 7 and 9). I also prefer smaller ships to large ones, but I suppose we have to have at least a 50,000+ ton ship to have enough kid-friendly resources. Absolutely not a Disney Cruise - been there, done that, and Disney is not premium or luxury IMHO. What does "good for kids" mean? I would say:
  • Good family pool facilities, water features / slides (prob not going to find this on the smaller luxury ships)
I've found 2 itineraries I like, one on the not-yet-launched Regent Splendor and one on the fairly new Celebrity Edge. Surprisingly, the Regent appears to be a far superior value. For suites of a similar size (3rd category from the best), Celebrity winds up costing nearly $10,000 more, all-in, for 5 people. A large portion of the price delta is driven by Regent's "Free Business Class" air package. Appreciate any insight on these 2 options, as well as any other suggestions I may not have mentioned.

N.B. I have read good things about Crystal Serenity as it relates to family friendly cruising, but I haven't found a good itinerary for our dates.
Hard to answer or advised you. Generally speaking “kid friendly” and “luxury cruise line” are mutually exclusive. It’s not that luxury lines are anti-children as much as it is they simply don’t have the space on smaller ships to provide dedicated child friendly facilities or programs. Because of that they don’t really market themselves as fun for the whole family. Now I think up this thread somebody posted that they were on a luxury cruise line, I think Seabourn, on an Alaskan cruise and the ship cobbled together a “children’s program” because of the number of children. Good for the cruise line but this probably the exception rather than the norm. Crystal might be slightly different as they were a premium line with bigger ships that recast themselves as a luxury line and have more space.

Without getting into the debate about what lines are really premium Celebrity might be a better match at least for children venues and programs. At 129,500 tons Celebrity Edge has enough room to do that. Of course you’re also on a ship with 2,900 other passengers which is enough to make me run for the exit.

A word about Med cruises in general that may or may not impact your choice. With few exceptions Med cruises are port intensive itineraries with very few sea days. We’ve cruised exactly 100 days in the Med in the past six years and have had a total of five or six sea days in eight cruises meaning two or three cruises have had no sea days at all. Unlike the Caribbean few of the Med ports are destinations in and of themselves so you find yourself traveling sometimes substantial distances and away from the ship for hours. That might make ship venues and programs a little less important.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:08 pm

we will sail florida straits on oceania

Originally Posted by KatW
I am considering Seabourn for the PanCanal cruise but the pricing differential vis Windstar (for larger suite) is sufficiently large so as to give me pause. I don't mind spending the bucks but I am desirous of quid pro quo. The cost of our Regent and Silversea voyages was entirely egregious when compared with what was delivered. So, I'm leaning toward Windstar yet again.

Looking to book for December or January.
as i have been on many cruises really like regent for small ship more cosy never been on sea born if you want luxury cruise look for deals as these line not going to cuba next spring our trip new england a couple of years ago on regent mariner out of new york city super
e
Old Sep 14, 2019, 4:29 am

I can only think of one cruise ship where luxury and kid-friendly go hand-in-hand and that is Hapag Lloyd's Europa 2. The ship is bilingual but it would by primarily German-speaking.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've found 2 itineraries I like, one on the not-yet-launched Regent Splendor and one on the fairly new Celebrity Edge.
Celebrity is a good mid-range cruise line, but definitely not a luxury line by any stretch of the imagination.
Randyk47 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.