Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Cruise Lines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Don't think I've ever been inside a RC but one major aspect that will be different for the hotelier is finding staff motivated to give the same level of service over the long-term (relatively speaking) when they're away from home for long stretches, away from family/friends/social life, living in rather-cramp quarters working long days (and evenings) without a break of more than a couple of hours, I imagine even the worst hotel chain's land-based hotel workers get days off and go home at the end of the day (or evening) except those in remote areas.

It's not luxury by any stretch (ship is a former old European ferry) but there is this "cruise" (also serves as a ferry) that goes between parts of Canada. For (and only during) the summer season, the ship is gone 4 nts before coming home for 3 nts on a weekly schedule. Supposedly the service is decent and the work's seasonal and not weeks/months on end..
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Don't think I've ever been inside a RC but one major aspect that will be different for the hotelier is finding staff motivated to give the same level of service over the long-term (relatively speaking) when they're away from home for long stretches, away from family/friends/social life, living in rather-cramp quarters working long days (and evenings) without a break of more than a couple of hours, I imagine even the worst hotel chain's land-based hotel workers get days off and go home at the end of the day (or evening) except those in remote areas.
Agree. I doubt seriously that many if any of on-ship staff and crew will come from land based Ritz hotels. That’s a completely different environment. I suppose since there are Ritz hotels in numerous countries, some not so nice outside of the hotel, there might be a few at the lower service levels but that’s hard to say. More likely to me is that rather Ritz might use some of its land-based staff to train ship staff. That would probably be something like train the trainer as they’d also like to draw on the experience of people who had already worked on a cruise ship and just imbed what Ritz sees as their service model. Might note that there actually is a lot of line to line headhunting and movement of staff. Years ago we had just boarded the Silversea Wind when we were enthusiastically greeted by one of the senior bar managers. A bit surprising since we’d never been on a Silversea cruise but it turned out she’d been a senior bartender/beverage manager in Holland America and she remembered us. Silversea and Holland America have no relationship, she’d been hired away by an offer of higher pay and shorter contracts.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No doubt the land-based staff will be training the crew. If the RC yacht sailings are repetitive 1-week type cruises, it may be that land-based crew may be staffing them on a 1-week-on-1- week-off schedule or something like that (not a dissimilar environment to those working in fly-in camps or on oil rigs).

Though I will probably never sail a true luxury line, I am interested in how they staff. I've heard that cruisecos are actually finding (or expect to find) it more difficult to recruit suitable staff from their current recruiting grounds (namely Indonesia and the Philippines) than in the past. I went to an Oceania presentation a few years ago (where I noted that a business school classmate of mine was one of the then-bigwigs and featured prominently in the propaganda videos) and noted that the faces of crew seemed to be primarily European so I wonder if some would prefer to recruit from Eastern Europe and Portugal (which Princess and Celebrity seem to do).

My upcoming cruise is on a French line where the propaganda videos on Youtube would have you believe that at least the chef de cuisine and maitre d'hotel as well as some servers and front desk staff are French (to cater to the primary target market's language preference). I watched a couple of French documentaries about one of the ships sailing the northwest passage a few years back and it would appear a lot of the kitchen and housekeeping staff, and servers, as well as sailors are either Filipino or Indonesian. Will be interesting to find out how different the wage and contract/work conditions for the French and non-French crew are. Ships are actually flagged in a French overseas collective.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im kind of skeptical regarding relationship RC/marriott actually has with cruise companies in question

RC hotels can vary fairly dramatically, although not as dramatically as say Four Seasons hotels

would be interesting to see more like Four Seasons Explorer Maldives, but thats due to Maldives owner

hyatt now owns alila, which currently sometimes sells cabins on alila purnama, usually charter only
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Speaking of Silversea

Here's a nice offer:
The luxury Silversea Muse sailing Sept. 5 to Alaska. For the seven night cruise, a suite is only $4,500 per person. (Regular price is $17,280) This price includes so much that others do not: free beverages--including alcohol, free gratuities, free internet.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Here's a nice offer:
The luxury Silversea Muse sailing Sept. 5 to Alaska. For the seven night cruise, a suite is only $4,500 per person. (Regular price is $17,280) This price includes so much that others do not: free beverages--including alcohol, free gratuities, free internet.
Just a question about (mainly U.S.) luxury line fares. I see the fares usually advertised at many % off (usually 60-80) at VTG and the daily cost still seems high. Granted, a cabin on a m-m cruise ship of similar calibre is going to cost you at least half that with a lot of optionals that will add up quickly. Still, does Silversea really sell any cabins at anywhere close to $17k for a week or is the big discount something that makes people think they got a bargain? It's almost as much as a Ponant trans-Arctic 22-day cruise (though travel through the Northwest Passage is not gauranteed and no refunds if so).

I've been getting so many Silversea mailers lately and choose to ignore them.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I think the luxury lines do have some cabins and some itineraries that sell for a high per diem. I don't think ANYONE pays brochure rate on anything, do they? I'm not a TA so I'm just guessing.....

[we did Alaska on Seabourn this past August because the fare/per diem was quite a bit lower than their norm - which I'd been watching on a few itineraries - and because the Alaska fare on Seabourn was quite close to a fare on a non-all-inclusive line we were also looking at - Oceania. We like small ships]
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Just a question about (mainly U.S.) luxury line fares. I see the fares usually advertised at many % off (usually 60-80) at VTG and the daily cost still seems high. Granted, a cabin on a m-m cruise ship of similar calibre is going to cost you at least half that with a lot of optionals that will add up quickly. Still, does Silversea really sell any cabins at anywhere close to $17k for a week or is the big discount something that makes people think they got a bargain? It's almost as much as a Ponant trans-Arctic 22-day cruise (though travel through the Northwest Passage is not gauranteed and no refunds if so).

I've been getting so many Silversea mailers lately and choose to ignore them.
I’d actually like to see that ad. I think some agency is playing fast and lose with cabin categories as there’s no way Silversea is going to discount what would have to be an Owner’s Suite at $17,000 per person that much. The quoted fare of $4,500 per person is more in line with their Vista Suites which with subcategories makes up about 90% of their cabins. Silversea rarely has deeply discounted sales and in fact has a fare guarantee program where if they do reduce the fare for your cabin category you are automatically refunded the diffference. As to do people actually book cabins that run $2,000 +/- per person per day per diem? Yup. The upper suites rarely go empty and Silversea, unlike the mass market lines and maybe some of the luxury lines, does not offer discounted up sells to unbooked suites and will let them sail empty. We were on a cruise on the Silver Spirit and about a day or two into the cruise we found out there were a number of empty Silver Suites. We knew the Hotel Manager having cruised with her before and asked about moving to one of them. It could be done but only at the full fare difference, adjusted slightly since two days had gone by, between our cabin and the Silver Suite. Since it was a 14-day cruise the difference in fare was substantial and more than we were willing to pay.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I think the luxury lines do have some cabins and some itineraries that sell for a high per diem. I don't think ANYONE pays brochure rate on anything, do they? I'm not a TA so I'm just guessing.....

[we did Alaska on Seabourn this past August because the fare/per diem was quite a bit lower than their norm - which I'd been watching on a few itineraries - and because the Alaska fare on Seabourn was quite close to a fare on a non-all-inclusive line we were also looking at - Oceania. We like small ships]
"Brochure rate" is a ridiculous, meaningless number. Still, per diems of $1000 on luxury lines are not unusual once you get to the "penthouse" and higher categories.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
"Brochure rate" is a ridiculous, meaningless number. Still, per diems of $1000 on luxury lines are not unusual once you get to the "penthouse" and higher categories.
As ridiculous as the “brochure rates” are it’s surprising, at least to me, the number of cruisers who actually pay the published rate. I know experienced cruisers who pay it without question or at least for whatever reason or reasons believe it’s better to book directly with the cruise line or with a full service travel agency. They feel comfortable with that and are thrilled when they get an inexpensive bottle of wine or a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries or a $50 OBC. Us? We have a great Internet agency/agent who first gives us a 10-12% cash discount and will throw in a thank you OBC for our business.

Last edited by Randyk47; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:50 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:16 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Randyk47

I’d actually like to see that ad. I think some agency is playing fast and lose with cabin categories as there’s no way Silversea is going to discount what would have to be an Owner’s Suite at $17,000 per person that much. The quoted fare of $4,500 per person is more in line with their Vista Suites which with subcategories makes up about 90% of their cabins. Silversea rarely has deeply discounted sales and in fact has a fare guarantee program where if they do reduce the fare for your cabin category you are automatically refunded the diffference. As to do people actually book cabins that run $2,000 +/- per person per day per diem? Yup. The upper suites rarely go empty and Silversea, unlike the mass market lines and maybe some of the luxury lines, does not offer discounted up sells to unbooked suites and will let them sail empty. We were on a cruise on the Silver Spirit and about a day or two into the cruise we found out there were a number of empty Silver Suites. We knew the Hotel Manager having cruised with her before and asked about moving to one of them. It could be done but only at the full fare difference, adjusted slightly since two days had gone by, between our cabin and the Silver Suite. Since it was a 14-day cruise the difference in fare was substantial and more than we were willing to pay.
Friends of ours are currently on their second Silver Sea World Cruise. This one is for 5 months. They are currently docked in Hong Kong. They are annoyed as Govt officials came on board and removed all of the liquor with exception of beer and wine. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening on a cruise?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Friends of ours are currently on their second Silver Sea World Cruise. This one is for 5 months. They are currently docked in Hong Kong. They are annoyed as Govt officials came on board and removed all of the liquor with exception of beer and wine. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening on a cruise?
Wow! Did they go on a room-to-room search, or just take the inventory out of the storeroom?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by 747FC
Wow! Did they go on a room-to-room search, or just take the inventory out of the storeroom?
Apparently, they confiscated what they found in the public bars, not individual cabins.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Apparently, they confiscated what they found in the public bars, not individual cabins.
How weird. Glad my Seabourn cruise next year will end at HK, rather than begin there.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:53 pm

Never heard of such a thing on any cruise line. That would be a lot of spirits and would take some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.