Luxury Cruise Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Cruise Lines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BeatCal
very excited. Booked the new Ritz Yaught cruise 2020
I hope there's a mini Trip Report or at least a couple pics for us after you take it!

(I started writing this before I fully looked at the 2020 date. But...I'll wait. )
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone seen higher end cabins offering truly priority embarkation?
- oceania - marina / riviera - 12 oceania 8 vista 3 owner (total 23) 11am embark
thought regent said new suite first onboard, now very vague for top 3 categories

new celebrity cabins - iconic , edge (first appear on edge ship)
tere moana became clio under grand circle cruises
for scuba divers , in asia - alila purnama

would have been cool if ritz did something like regent's new suite
how long will it take for someone to match/beat regent's new suite
crystal dropped their plans for residences on their new ships
I have not noticed any special treatment for the highest cabin category passengers. Not saying there isn’t any but if there is it’s not obvious or over the top. Part of it might be the passengers themselves and their personal requirements. I know on Silversea once you’re on the ship the treatment is pretty evenhanded and you don’t see any obvious preferential treatment. On our cruise last year we met an English couple who were really friendly and what I would call “salt of the earth”. We were on board with them for 18 days and ate lunch with them several times and a couple of dinners. They got on in Rome with us but we found out through just casual conversation they were in an owner’s suite and still had 99 more days on the ship when we got off. Whatever they did for a living they did it well. On a cruise a few years ago we and friends were kind of adopted by this very large American family, like 20+ members, that turned out had booked every upper end cabin on the ship. Again just normal folk. Turned out these “normal folk” live in Thailand and own one the largest construction companies in Asia.

Last edited by Randyk47; Dec 17, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

clearly true 'first' embarkation is high value benefit when available.
oceania might be the only one to offer it as a published benefit.
some might pay more than usual when things like that are published

there was a couple that spent half the year every year on seabourn.
many on FT spend a fortune on travel, not all super wealthy.
most on FT spend way above average on travel vs income.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 17, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47

I have not noticed any special treatment for the highest cabin category passengers. Not saying there isn’t any but if there is it’s not obvious or over the top. Part of it might be the passengers themselves and their personal requirements. I know on Silversea once you’re on the ship the treatment is pretty evenhanded and you don’t see any obvious preferential treatment. On our cruise last year we met an English couple who were really friendly and what I would call “salt of the earth”. We were on board with them for 18 days and ate lunch with them several times and a couple of dinners. They got on in Rome with us but we found out through just casual conversation they were in an owner’s suite and still had 99 more days on the ship when we got off. Whatever they did for a living they did it well. On a cruise a few years ago we and friends were kind of adopted by this very large American family, like 20+ members, that turned out had booked every upper end cabin on the ship. Again just normal folk. Turned out these “normal folk” live in Thailand and own one the largest construction companies in Asia.
I've seen special checkin lines for Seabourn for highest category suites, but since there really aren't lines for any category, it is not a biggie. Of course, on non-luxury lines, the apparent segregation begins at checkin, where one gets an expedited line in order to receive a different color key card

We too have been pleased with the down-to-earth nature of many of the passengers we meet on Seabourn and Silversea. Only after you get to know them do you eventually realize that some are captains of commerce somewhere in the world. Of course, there is the rare narcissistic developer who brags about having a box at the stadium
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
I've seen special checkin lines for Seabourn for highest category suites, but since there really aren't lines for any category, it is not a biggie.
cumulative count for top 5 seabourn >
2 , 4 , 9 / 11 , 13 / 16 , 32 / 36
seabourn went from 100 cabin to 225 / 300 cabin
top seabourn can run just $1.6k per nt, great value
i'm odd, but i would've paid to avoid line on 200 cabin

was looking around, didnt see any publish but oceania (23) ; vs for example >
regent "Priority boarding on embarkation day with suite access at Noon" which like NCL basically does not say anything, only earliest access to suite, vs embark

interesting celebrity suite - reflection - glass bottom shower !
celebrity edge pretty aggressive - $4k $6k $9k per nt top 3

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 17, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I've seen special checkin lines for Seabourn for highest category suites, but since there really aren't lines for any category, it is not a biggie. Of course, on non-luxury lines, the apparent segregation begins at checkin, where one gets an expedited line in order to receive a different color key card

We too have been pleased with the down-to-earth nature of many of the passengers we meet on Seabourn and Silversea. Only after you get to know them do you eventually realize that some are captains of commerce somewhere in the world. Of course, there is the rare narcissistic developer who brags about having a box at the stadium
Having not cruised Seabourn yet I wasn’t aware of a special line and don’t recall one for Silversea. Truth is we’ve arrived at Silversea cruise terminals in Barcelona, Civitavecchia (Rome), Piraeus (Athens), Istanbul, Venice, San Juan, and Ft Lauderdale at a variety of times from early in the morning to mid afternoon and never experienced long lines. All in all I’d say we’ve checked in and boarded in as little as 10-15 minutes and maybe once 40 minutes but that was because we got to the terminal so early the terminal wasn’t even open. Big difference between boarding a few hundred on a relatively smaller luxury line ship to up to a few thousand on mass market line.

While I gave examples of two down-to-earth families and couples we’ve met I should have said indeed we’ve met just couple of don’t-you-know-who-I-am types. Fortunately we’ve met more of the former than the later. Easy to avoid and since at least on Silversea it’s basically open dining in a number of venues where you’re not assigned a fixed table at a fixed time you’re not stuck with potentially uncomfortable dining companions.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one reason not to use cruise air (even if free) which then buses pax to terminal at same time

didnt see any problematic types on cruise, worst (only one) i ran into at luxury property was not that bad

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 18, 2018 at 11:33 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
one reason not to use cruise air (even if free) which then buses pax to terminal at same time

didnt see any problematic types on cruise, worst (only one) i ran into at luxury property was not that bad
That’s also true if you use cruise line provided pre-cruise hotel arrangements. Our experience with that has been from awful to excellent. Awful was a last minute cruise out of Ft Lauderdale and we couldn’t find reasonable accommodations ourselves. Opted for a Holland America hotel and that included transfers to the terminal. That turned out to be a madhouse of loading four 40-passenger buses with not only the people but luggage too. Excellent was a Silversea hotel in Rome. Embarkation morning Silversea had contracted a transfer company that picked up my wife and I and our friends in Rome. They sent a luxury Mercedes limo van with individual leather seats for the four of us and offered us coffee and champagne for the almost two hour trip to the port.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Did a world cruise with silver seas and it was wonderful. The bar tenders had my 5:00 martini ready for me every night. 90% of the guests knew each other from previous cruises.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Zurick
Did a world cruise with silver seas and it was wonderful. The bar tenders had my 5:00 martini ready for me every night. 90% of the guests knew each other from previous cruises.
We’ve gotten that same level of service on Silversea even on shorter cruises. Of course they are dealing with a much smaller population than the mass market lines. What we found remarkable was we cruised on the Silver Wind in 2014 and then switched to the Silver Spirit in 2015. Turned out the same server from the Wind in 2014 was on the Spirit in 2015 and he remembered our drinks. Funny that in now seven cruises with Silversea we now have favorite servers, bartenders, and cruise directors who we remember and remember us from cruise to cruise ship to ship. It’s touches like that that keep us coming back.
NYC Flyer and gretchendz like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
I agree. My favorite steak house in Chicago The owner sat at the end of the bar and welcomed you with your name and told the bar tender to make your drink even if you had not been there for years Rare to see such service nowdays
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

handful of amazing staff?

small independent places can still do well, but their best makes it hard to go back to 'regular' luxury
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BeatCal
very excited. Booked the new Ritz Yaught cruise 2020
We're looking at the Ritz. The ship is a thing of beauty, but sadly the itineraries are mostly "yawn, been there done that." Maybe they're cutting their teeth on tried and true, but also wonder if they think most pax will be booking for the onboard experience and don't especially care where they go.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
The cunard queens grill got special service: binoculars in the room, free wifi, 1:1 butler, same day request at all restaurants with no "full"
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by milepig
We're looking at the Ritz. The ship is a thing of beauty, but sadly the itineraries are mostly "yawn, been there done that." Maybe they're cutting their teeth on tried and true, but also wonder if they think most pax will be booking for the onboard experience and don't especially care where they go.
While the cruise line comes from a corporation with hotel experience all over the world I suspect there is a learning curve. Certainly they most probably have hired experienced management, staff, and crew from other cruise lines but they still have to bring them together to support and run a new line in whatever the Ritz Corporation sees as its “at sea” image. Even drawing on a fairly substantial existing cruise line support cottage industry they still have to find and contract port agents who in turn can help them with reprovisioning, refueling, etc., etc. Lots of moving pieces and parts to pull together and maybe better to gain experience in a well known area than get too adventurous.

Last edited by Randyk47; Mar 1, 2019 at 8:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.