Wiki Posts
Search

Long Distance Travel to Cruise Port

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2023, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Long Distance Travel to Cruise Port

We booked an Alaska cruise for late August departing from Seattle. We've always have driven to the cruise ports or were already visiting the area. I'm actually considering driving to Seattle to do some sight seeing along the way but that is a bit over 2,000 miles from DFW.

If flying what things should we consider in flight planning? I would assume at minimum flying in the day before embarkation plus transfers from airport, hotel, to the port and on return not booking a flight too early plus transfers from the port to the airport.

I've never been in Seattle so don't have any idea on lay of the land but appears the cruise port is a distance from Sea-Tac.

Any pointers or suggestions ya'll might have to offer would be appreciated.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Definitely plan to fly in at least one day prior -- and not on the last flight of the day. If you want to sightsee in Seattle prior to your cruise embarkation, you will probably want to stay in a downtown hotel. If not, you could just overnight at an airport hotel when you fly in.

Some airport hotels might have reasonably-priced transfers available to the cruise port. But transfers are typically priced per person. If there are two or more of you traveling, you might consider just getting a taxi or Lyft/Uber.

If you have airport lounge access, then choosing a later return flight (especially if it's cheaper) is also a possibility. It appears that there are two Priority Pass lounges and two Priority Pass restaurants (in case you have one of those credit cards which still pays for Priority Pass restaurant visits) at SEA.
Randyk47, gretchendz and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Definitely plan to fly in at least one day prior -- and not on the last flight of the day. If you want to sightsee in Seattle prior to your cruise embarkation, you will probably want to stay in a downtown hotel. If not, you could just overnight at an airport hotel when you fly in.

Some airport hotels might have reasonably-priced transfers available to the cruise port. But transfers are typically priced per person. If there are two or more of you traveling, you might consider just getting a taxi or Lyft/Uber.

If you have airport lounge access, then choosing a later return flight (especially if it's cheaper) is also a possibility. It appears that there are two Priority Pass lounges and two Priority Pass restaurants (in case you have one of those credit cards which still pays for Priority Pass restaurant visits) at SEA.
Thank you. Plan on leaving adequate time for a delayed arrival. Might try for a departure on day of return but flights out end around 3 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
There is a light rail from SEA to downtown. Cruises depart a little north of Pike Market Place. Get a hotel in that area and see the sights.
FlyerEC and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Does your cruise return to Seattle? If so the city offers this cool free luggage transfer/sight-seeing program:
https://www.portseattle.org/page/por...e-luggage-free
boxo likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
OP: Just to add to the above suggestions, I would emphasize that your return flight should be late enough to account for delays in docking, delays in off-loading passengers and luggage, and traffic delays to airport. Depending how much luggage you are carrying, you can off-load it yourself by keeping it in your room.

Recommend you either make your own arrangements with a limo company or see whether your cruise line sells transfers to the airport.

Have fun and be safe!
gretchendz and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Does your cruise return to Seattle? If so the city offers this cool free luggage transfer/sight-seeing program:
https://www.portseattle.org/page/por...e-luggage-free

Read about that. Looks as if the cruise line we are using doesn't participate. Thanks, appreciate the info.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. Collectively you guys can best a super computer.

Think we've decided to drive DFW-SEA-DFW to do some sight seeing along the way. We're both retired and have few strings holding us to any hard schedule. Now to plan a road trip.
HPN-HRL, wrp96, BamaVol and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
That's a lot of driving. Things happen. Might want to plan to arrive a few days early. Don't forget parking is not cheap in Seattle.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ranles
That's a lot of driving. Things happen. Might want to plan to arrive a few days early. Don't forget parking is not cheap in Seattle.
Yes, taking irrops into consideration. Worse case could leave our vehicle at a shop and continue in a rental. Will have reserved cruise parking booked well ahead of time.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I grew up a US Air Force dependent family member (aka military brat) and back in the day we moved on the average of every two years. We drove to new assignments and those were mostly in the South, Southwest, and West. Father was a bomber pilot and he could drive for hours and hours and hours. No air conditioning and vinyl seats in our cars. End result to this day I absolutely hate long distance driving. If I can’t get there in a relatively easy one day drive then I fly. 😬
747FC, gretchendz and FlyerEC like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:40 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Yes, taking irrops into consideration. Worse case could leave our vehicle at a shop and continue in a rental. Will have reserved cruise parking booked well ahead of time.
Definitely reserve the parking well in advance!

You might even want to rent a car for the whole DFW-SEA-DFW trip. The weekly rental rate with unlimited miles can be relatively inexpensive (better than one-way rental drop-off fees) and sometimes it's been necessary for us when pets need to be moved and it is too hot for pets as baggage or air cargo if they don't fit under the seat. Admittedly, I'm another former military brat and I love long road trips, so I've driven cross-country many times.

Your particular road trip offers some great opportunities for scenic western national parks - buy the annual pass, and if you are retired, maybe you are eligible for the lower senior rate, plus you have time for a leisurely trip. Driving both ways, you choose NM-CO-WY-MT-ID-WA one way, and vary a little more to the west via WA-OR-UT-AZ-NM-TX the other way. Include CA and/or NV - your discretion. I don't know much about west Texas, but that's your home territory. My bias - I'm partial to SEA and would attach at least a day or two for seeing the city and environs. This is FlyerTalk - you must want to see the Boeing plant in Everett, and the Museum of Flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.