Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Planning for first cruise trip from Galveston port

Planning for first cruise trip from Galveston port

Old Sep 16, 22, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wasn't my intention to imply that excursions had to be purchased through a cruise line. My intent was to caution about being late returning if heading out on your own or taking an excursion through a third party. Doesn't happen often but unless on a ship sponsored excursion being late returning is a good way to wave at your ship as it's sailing off into the sunset. There's at least one place that walking to the beach isn't permitted. Progresso is one. The ship ties up at the end of a pier about 4 miles from shore. Didn't go ashore there but there is suppose to be a shuttle that takes people to town.

Cruise Port Guide: Progreso, Mexico (Tips, Maps, and Things to Do)

A few of my favorite excursions were in Cozumel and Grand Turk. One out of Cozumel was taking a water jet powered boat, Twister, to the beach for a day of sun and fun. The second out of Cozumel was taking a ferry boat to mainland Mexico then a bus to take a walk in an underground river (Cenote). The last I'll mention was in Grand Turk where we kayaked then took a boat about 3 miles out to a sand bar where we swam with sting rays. All low energy excursions but we are older and limited in some ways. We've snorkled, zip lined, river rafted, went on a submarine, walked Aztec pyramids, and just plopped down on the beach. Choices are many and time limited.
Jaimito Cartero and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Sep 17, 22, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
The second out of Cozumel was taking a ferry boat to mainland Mexico then a bus to take a walk in an underground river (Cenote).
We did that underground water cave tour 5 or 6 years ago and it was "AMAZING". The only thing is that the ferry/speed boat to/from mainland is nicknamed "Vomit Comet" or so I was told. It lives up to its name LOL. Bring ginger candy or Dramamine!
Old Sep 17, 22, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need View Post
We did that underground water cave tour 5 or 6 years ago and it was "AMAZING". The only thing is that the ferry/speed boat to/from mainland is nicknamed "Vomit Comet" or so I was told. It lives up to its name LOL. Bring ginger candy or Dramamine!
Our ferry crossing wasn't bad. Large boat and airline style seats. Flying a light plane during summer is a rougher ride.
Old Sep 18, 22, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We took the “Vomit Comet” a few years ago and while we did fine there were several passengers who lost it. It was like the wildest carnival ride I can remember being on. There was one family of four from our ship and the husband turned the famous green. He made it across and they got on the bus with us for a tour of Tulum. We probably didn’t move 10 feet and the guy says he can’t take it and the family got off the bus. His two teenage daughters were not happy and not very sympathetic for poor dad. Not sure how they made it back to the ship though our ride back wasn’t nearly as bad as the way over in the morning.
Old Sep 18, 22, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruise lines are year round operators out of Galveston with seasonal cruises by Disney and I believe Celebrity. Royal Caribbean has a new large terminal being constructed to host one their new larger ships and Carnival has a new ship of the Mardi Gras class under construction that will call Galveston home.

Found this article comparing Royal Caribbean and Carnival.

Royal Caribbean vs. Carnival: Which Is the Better Cruise Line?

Trying a short cruise on a mid-tier ship from both lines is an excellent way to gauge the key differences between the two. If that's not possible, it's really important to understand what you value most -- is it food? Drinks? Entertainment? Pools? Price? Once you know that, you can narrow your choices and set sail on a trip that's more likely to be the dream vacation you hope for.
Old Sep 18, 22, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
We get the 2 full beds also, but our kid loved the wall mounted bunk bed on our first cruise. There are rooms that have both.

We are not big drinkers, so usually just buy a case of water, and refillable containers. Water, lemonade and tea are free.

What dates are your holidays? I’d be happy to scout the trips out.
Thanks for helping and great information provided by everyone. We have high school kid and 6th grader. Based on pictures provided by wrp96, we might need a room with bigger beds. I need to book for balcony room which seem to have bigger beds. Our holiday weeks are thanksgiving week (11/20-11/27), 2 weeks during Christmas (12/18 - 12/31), Spring break (03/12 - 03/18) and summer break in 2023.

We are not into drinks (one to two drinks per week max). We are looking for cruise experience, some activities on ship and food. Regarding destinations, is there any difference in visiting ports from central America vs including port in Jamaica in the itinerary. Looks like there are more options if we stick with ports in central America.

Last edited by rustum76; Sep 18, 22 at 10:50 pm
Old Sep 19, 22, 9:00 am

Programs: AC E50 / Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rustum76 View Post
Thanks for helping and great information provided by everyone. We have high school kid and 6th grader. Based on pictures provided by wrp96, we might need a room with bigger beds. I need to book for balcony room which seem to have bigger beds. Our holiday weeks are thanksgiving week (11/20-11/27), 2 weeks during Christmas (12/18 - 12/31), Spring break (03/12 - 03/18) and summer break in 2023.

We are not into drinks (one to two drinks per week max). We are looking for cruise experience, some activities on ship and food. Regarding destinations, is there any difference in visiting ports from central America vs including port in Jamaica in the itinerary. Looks like there are more options if we stick with ports in central America.
The balcony rooms aren't really much/any bigger tbh. One option is to get two rooms adjoining with a connecting door and put two people in each.
gretchendz and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Cabins

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite View Post
The balcony rooms aren't really much/any bigger tbh. One option is to get two rooms adjoining with a connecting door and put two people in each.

We used to do this when kids were younger....it's even cheaper if you can find an inside cabin right across the hall from a balcony cabin Of course, you may prefer connecting. Either option will add to the costs vs cramming all 4 of you into one cabin.
YZF_Elite and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rustum76 View Post
The bed sizes will be the same even in larger cabins. A balcony cabin might have a little bit more room to walk around but that's it. Definitely look into the suggestion above of two connecting rooms or an inside across from a balcony. You may have to book one kid and one adult in each room though.

Of the ports available from Galveston, I prefer Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya over Jamaica and Grand Cayman but a lot of that is personal preference. You can have a good time in all the ports.
YZF_Elite likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:28 am

Programs: AC E50 / Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
The bed sizes will be the same even in larger cabins. A balcony cabin might have a little bit more room to walk around but that's it. Definitely look into the suggestion above of two connecting rooms or an inside across from a balcony. You may have to book one kid and one adult in each room though.

Of the ports available from Galveston, I prefer Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya over Jamaica and Grand Cayman but a lot of that is personal preference. You can have a good time in all the ports.
Jamaica is ok and interesting enough to visit once. I'm not a big Mexico fan. I enjoyed Roatan, however doing stuff with kids there without an organized tour would be a little wild given how "on you" the locals seem to be when you hit the street.
Old Sep 20, 22, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite View Post
Jamaica is ok and interesting enough to visit once. I'm not a big Mexico fan. I enjoyed Roatan, however doing stuff with kids there without an organized tour would be a little wild given how "on you" the locals seem to be when you hit the street.
Roatan is one of my favorite ports. I book directly with Daniel John's Monkey and Sloth sanctuary, and depending on what I'm looking for the day I get an island tour, beach time, snorkeling, all with the opportunity to hold cute animals. Cozumel I like to go to Paradise Beach. Costa Maya the pier area has a great pool area.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Sep 20, 22, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sailings on Carnival Vista to Grand Turk and Jamaica for certain sailings have been change to Roatan and Belieze. Some type of repairs that impact the speed of the ship are going to be needed and accomplished while underway. The change impacts our January cruise. For cruisers who had been looking for a trip to Jamaica or Grand Cayman might be able to find a different cruise, full refunds or a $50/person of On Board Credit will be posted to the guests account.

Six Itineraries Changed for Carnival Ship Due to Unexpected Issue

Due to cruising speed reductions necessary for onboard maintenance, Carnival Vista‘s itinerary will be changed for six upcoming sailings. The ship’s 2022 departures on October 15, October 29, and November 12, are affected, as well as 2023 departures on January 21, February 4, and February 18.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:46 am

Carnival just announced propulsion issues with Carnival Vista and port of call changes to future cruises. Appears they will no longer visit Jamaica or Grand Cayman and giving a $50 OBC. The ship will stay further west and stop in Belize and Roatn as alternative ports of call and stay longer in Cozumel.

Not the first time Vista has had propulsion issues, she had them in 2019 and earlier in May of this year.
Old Sep 21, 22, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
Carnival just announced propulsion issues with Carnival Vista and port of call changes to future cruises. Appears they will no longer visit Jamaica or Grand Cayman and giving a $50 OBC. The ship will stay further west and stop in Belize and Roatn as alternative ports of call and stay longer in Cozumel.

Not the first time Vista has had propulsion issues, she had them in 2019 and earlier in May of this year.
i posted the same info in this thread yesterday since OP had specifically mentioned Jamaica and sailing out of Galvestion which is currently homeport for Vista. Vista and its class sister ships have all had propulsion issues.
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
i posted the same info in this thread yesterday since OP had specifically mentioned Jamaica and sailing out of Galvestion which is currently homeport for Vista. Vista and its class sister ships have all had propulsion issues.
Thanks for the information. Instead of Jamaica and Cayman island, we can pick 2-3 stops from central America coast (Costa Maya Belize Cozumel). Vista is showing something for 5k. But it is 1 room with 3 adults and 1 kid. i have to check for 2 rooms. Can i just book it. RC is around 8k for 7 day cruise.

Thanks

Search this Thread