Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

My friend is going onboard as an " artist in residence" "

Old Jun 21, 22, 4:53 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have a good friend who is a well-known Pacific NW painter and he has been asked to do several cruises this summer on Holland America Seattle to Alaska. He has never been on a cruise in his life. HIs paintings will be in the art gallery (for sale) and he has been asked to give a talk ( maybe a class) .

Curious.... what kind of cabin accommodation might they offer him?
Old Jun 21, 22, 7:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I have a good friend who is a well-known Pacific NW painter and he has been asked to do several cruises this summer on Holland America Seattle to Alaska. He has never been on a cruise in his life. HIs paintings will be in the art gallery (for sale) and he has been asked to give a talk ( maybe a class) .

Curious.... what kind of cabin accommodation might they offer him?
I've talked to some folks who have been in his situation. The last one had to move his cabin two times on a 14-day cruise to accommodate the line for which he was giving talks. Some had just windows, some had balconies. Expect little and be happy if something special is given....
trooper and ysolde like this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
If the cruise line is asking your friend to come on board, there should be a contract and your friend should be able to negotiate something reasonable. If I were in that situation, I would not accept anything worse than a balcony.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Usually guest entertainers or artists are put in passenger cabins, but it just depends on what is available that cruise.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:03 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Usually guest entertainers or artists are put in passenger cabins, but it just depends on what is available that cruise.
I don't know much about cruising but when I looked up his cruise, cabins were going for $449pp for a week.....I'm not sure these are his art buying customers.
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I don't know much about cruising but when I looked up his cruise, cabins were going for $449pp for a week.....I'm not sure these are his art buying customers.
You'd be surprised. I have friends that look for the cheapest deals possible on the cruise itself but then their onboard bill is quite large.

Search this Thread