FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Solo Cruiser Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/2077510-solo-cruiser-question.html)

wharvey Apr 29, 2022 6:30 am

Solo Cruiser Question

Gang,

I will be on my own in Orlando area for 3 weeks from June 19 - July 9.

I thought I would potentially take a cruise out of Port Canaveral or Tampa for a few days. However, I am not finding any cruises where I do not have a substantial single supplement charge. Anyone know of any cruise line or cruise where they do not penalize for a solo traveler?

Just thought I would do something different... rare I am on my own.

Thanks in advance,

SCEflyer Apr 29, 2022 7:33 am

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 34206402)
Gang,

I will be on my own in Orlando area for 3 weeks from June 19 - July 9.

I thought I would potentially take a cruise out of Port Canaveral or Tampa for a few days. However, I am not finding any cruises where I do not have a substantial single supplement charge. Anyone know of any cruise line or cruise where they do not penalize for a solo traveler?

Just thought I would do something different... rare I am on my own.

Thanks in advance,

Have you looked at the “Vacations To Go” Website? It will often show last minute deals, as well reductions or total elimination of the single supplement. If you do give it a try, start with the “90 Day Ticker”. I have never booked a trip with them, but have had on board table mates who appear to have been satisfied.

whitewave Apr 29, 2022 7:50 am

I was also just going to suggest checking with vacations to go as they do sometimes find waived single supplements under the last minute cruises ticker (90 days ticker)…

good luck! It’s standard for singles to have to pay double occupancy.

wharvey Apr 29, 2022 8:06 am

Thank you !

I keep hearing some cruises have "single" rooms but I have yet to find one!

ajeleonard Apr 29, 2022 8:20 am

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 34206596)
Thank you !

Amongst others:
Celebrity Apex
Celebrity Edge
Celebrity Silhouette
Quantum of the seas
Anthem of the seas
Harmony of the seas
Ovation of the seas
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Niuew Statendam
Koeningsdam

gretchendz Apr 29, 2022 1:14 pm

Ideas

• Norwegian Getaway has a June 27 cruise advertising no single supplement
  • Norwegian Sky has a bunch with a 50% supplement

wharvey Apr 29, 2022 2:00 pm

Thanks

YVR Cockroach Apr 29, 2022 3:30 pm

Ponant offers repo cruises w/o single supplements. I know people travelling together who get a cabin each for this deal. Doubt any such offerings will fit your schedule though/

YZF_Elite Apr 29, 2022 3:49 pm

You'll find a no single supplement cheaper than a solo room in my experience. You'll find many sailings offer the lower or no single supplement as a last minute thing. NCL on all recent sailings had 0 supplement within two weeks of sailing.

whitewave Apr 29, 2022 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 34206596)
Thank you !

let us know if you find anything interesting! I have often wanted to get on like a 4 day and just go New Orleans to Cozumel and back by myself, but most cruises (well, in the before times) sail out of New Orleans full. They aren’t ever that many sailings on the 90 day ticker in New Orleans (they do have some like 18 day repositioning cruises…. Again in the before times)…

FlyerEC Apr 29, 2022 11:48 pm

Oceania has just launched single staterooms with balconies

hedoman Apr 30, 2022 11:47 am

My standard line is to avoid getting carried away with the single supplement mentality. And it is a mentality. It's human nature to not want to pay double for the same space. Change thinking to YOUR per diem cost and not what others are paying. It's either doable for you,......or not.

Not that this helps sailing out of central Florida, but if you look at pricing of so called luxury lines, you can find decent value versus the mass market ships.

gretchendz Jun 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Tips

Originally Posted by milagrosTMT (Post 34338533)
hey! I've never been on a cruise alone and I'd like to, but it really scares me. any advice you can give me?

I don't know how out-going you are, and others can weigh-in, but my overall advice:
  • Dine with a large group table. You may make some good friends. Even if you go to a lunch or breakfast without advance seating, ask to be seated at a larger table. You will not meet many people at the buffet.
  • Play games you like (trivia, for example) and try to join a team that is likely to stick together for the cruise.
  • Don't just sit in your room.
  • There is almost always a singles meet and greet near the start of the cruise. Go to it and any other meetings or groups that strike your fancy.
  • Almost certainly you will not be the only single traveler on the cruise. Reach out and have fun!

freecia Jun 15, 2022 8:30 pm

It also depends on what scares/intimidates you about solo cruising. If you like exploring places with others and socializing, some of NCL's ships have a solo lounge and had a staffer organize other solo traveler get togethers. I've also found roll calls on Cruise Critic to be a good way to find people to share excursions with or specialty dinner reservations.

mahasamatman Jun 15, 2022 10:20 pm

My first cruise was as a solo cruiser. I used a travel agent who had put together a group of singles.