Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If Covid tests are required of Pax, I'm giving up cruises

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
So I fly to South Africa, UAE, or somewhere from USA, spend the night and go to the ship. Mid 70s and vaccinated, but we test positive and out we go? Do you really want me on your cruise?

We had this happen on our cruise Bali to Sydney, but not to us. Others were on the 4 days tours in Bali, then because their flights/travel was thru the wrong airports, they were not allowed on board. This was before/during Covid. They were refunded, and given flights home.

Today, that is why one needs insurance, if one is worried about this. They have the right to make the rules they want on board. It is their reputation and future business.

Trip report Bali, Australia, cruise, covid, fires, red alert - FlyerTalk Forums

Unfortunately, at our age, loosing a cruise is more that inconvenient. It could be our last chance. For many it is. S__t happens.
not2017 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jonsail
My wife and I just flew to Hawaii. In the first class cabin the mast requirement was very laxly enforced. At the end of our flight to HNL, our flight attendant squatted down, pulled her mask a few inches from her face (so we could see her smile) and she thanked my wife and I for flying her airline. My wife and I are in our 70's, fully vaccinated, and chose to accept the risk of a breakthrough covid infection. We didn't have to take any covid tests because we proved our vaccination status. I see cruise ship passengers as being subjected to a stricter regimen that other tourists.

I think a vaccinated 80 year old cruise ship pax should either avoid the cruise or assume the risk of breakthrough covid infection. We don't live forever and us older folks make choices about how many cautions we will take to achieve our max. life span and to what extent we will be "prisoners" of our desire to avoid risk.
So your perspective is that all 80 year-olds can damn well stay home or assume the risk because you don't want to be tested and might be somewhat inconvenienced with a quarantine should you test positive. Testing therefore has two benefits. It is another layer of protection for passengers and we won't have to share the boat with the self-absorbed who possess a massive sense of entitlement and have zero regard for the possibility they may pass the virus on to someone more vulnerable.
not2017 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I cruise in two weeks and of course they won't let me board without testing . On top of this they state if for any Covid reason are can not board the fare will not be refunded.

So I am considering visiting a local Walgreens and getting a covid test before I spend all the money to fly coast to cost to take the cruise. However I'm not sure that the cruise line is going to accept the test results from Walgreens since they are providing their own testing in the cruise terminal. And yes I am vaccinated
What cruise line is this? I'm taking a quick look at three lines that sail from near me andI'm not going to go through every line, but none of those at the terminal within driving distance from me are taking a hard "cannot board and the fare will not be refunded" position (albeit, only as credit in the case of the most budget-y of the three).
not2017 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ranles

Today, that is why one needs insurance, if one is worried about this. They have the right to make the rules they want on board. It is their reputation and future business.
Timely post. I'm scheduled to take UnCruise from Juneau on Friday (ships are typically 75 passengers, US-flagged vessels so no need to stop at a Canadian port, so very different from the mega-ships). It's been a circus- I was originally going to take them in Belize/Guatemala in October but switched to Alaska because the situation in Belize is dicey. They've been sailing in Alaska since late May. Vaccination and negative PCR test required. I just got my results this morning and I'm negative. Thank heaven.

Insurance- the only kind that would apply is "cancel for any reason" and I've never bought that. Typically you have to buy that type when you book the cruise except that they won't issue a policy more than a year before the trip. I typically book more than a year out so I guess I'd have to wait and then buy the policy one year out. The ones I saw available recently covered COVID only if you caught it and were too sick to travel, so a positive test result wouldn't have been covered.

My next major trips are small group tours with Overseas Adventure Travel, the first in May of next year. Anyone wanna take bets on how things will be then? :-)
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jonsail
My wife and I are both fully vaccinated, and we have resumed traveling, but we are thinkng that we will not take any cruise that does routine covid testing because of the risk of us testing positive with a "break through" asymptomatic case and then being forced into a quarantine. Do others feel the same way?
If you are saying you won't travel because the ship is being careful but you would if they weren't, then please remind me not to travel when you do.

We've been vaccinated but it's still possible to get Covid, albeit more mild than the stupid ones. However, we consider that not only our children but other children and those who are truly unable to be vaccinated, depend on intelligent, vaccinated people for their possible survival. So we want to be sure that if, on the oft chance, we catch Covid, we don't want to be the cause of harm to the innocent. As to those choosing not to be vaccinated, we prefer to keep away from them as stupidity might be contagious and apparently masks don't help with that issue.
estnet and not2017 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
From a health care provider

The majority of posts seem to agree that the OP should look at the situation from a different point of view and be healthy.
I will add that a reason for flip flopping from policy to policy is the fact that many folks don't want to get vaccinated and have very little issue telling lies. So many folks say they were tested yesterday, or they haven't been to any large gatherings, or haven't traveled, etc.
Does anyone realize this is likely the ONLY point in American history where health care, even if only in the form of a Covid vaccine is FREE to EVERYONE. Why not join the millions of others and either protect yourself, protect others, or both?
I heard a young woman say she didn't want the vaccine because of her asthma. Our questions to her would be: Did you have asthma before Covid? Will you have the same asthma after the vaccine?
Spiff, estnet, gretchendz and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by 7Continents
The majority of posts seem to agree that the OP should look at the situation from a different point of view and be healthy.
I will add that a reason for flip flopping from policy to policy is the fact that many folks don't want to get vaccinated and have very little issue telling lies. So many folks say they were tested yesterday, or they haven't been to any large gatherings, or haven't traveled, etc.
<snip>
Yep. I was in a local Hilton overnight with my 2 granddaughters, ages 4 and 7, so too young to be vaccinated. I really want to resume taking them on overnights to Chicago (one-hour flight) but of course that's off the table for now. Business meetings in full force again, signs said that vaccinated employees and customers didn't need masks. About 95% of adults were unmasked. Uh-huh. Sure.

I'm glad the cruise line is asking for proof.
estnet and not2017 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by freecia
A little perspective......

Exactly where the goal posts are is unknown. I get wanting some target and criteria. I think that's an okay thing to request so communities can work towards agreed upon priorities, given what is currently thought to be true. A lot of people are still upset about the goal posts having moved, though.
My issue is that we now have no end game.

IF one remembers well, back in March 2020, we were told if we got tested and waited for the vaccine that once 70% of the populous was so treated (along with those who did recover from the virus) that we would return to pre-Covid life and all would be normal again. There was the endgame to justify our personal sacrifices.

Now, we hear that even if the nation were fully vaccinated, other Covid related restrictions such as testing, social distancing, masking would not disappear. The original end game has vanished and I do not hear a new one being promulgated any longer.

I suspect this is why we get posts such as the one which started this thread
Rare, DJ_Iceman, susiesan and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I agree with you, OP.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
My issue is that we now have no end game.

IF one remembers well, back in March 2020, we were told if we got tested and waited for the vaccine that once 70% of the populous was so treated (along with those who did recover from the virus) that we would return to pre-Covid life and all would be normal again. There was the endgame to justify our personal sacrifices.

Now, we hear that even if the nation were fully vaccinated, other Covid related restrictions such as testing, social distancing, masking would not disappear. The original end game has vanished and I do not hear a new one being promulgated any longer.

I suspect this is why we get posts such as the one which started this thread
Why is "no end game" an issue? We are learning about how this affects our lives as we go along. We have not had a pandemic like this in the modern travel era, why would you expect all the answers to be foreseen and laid out in advance?

Take care of yourself, and most importantly, have empathy and care for others. Things will change but we eventually will adapt to this thing.
estnet, boxo and not2017 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:52 pm

My boss, fully vaccinated was contacted by his home county Department of Health doing a test and trace on a recent pub crawl and he came back with positive antigen and then PCR tests and is asymptomatic.
His wife is negative twice but his unvaccinated son is positive and is starting to have symptoms (an adult that refused to get vaccinated).
So for me, now knowing someone with a break thru infection that might have passed it along, I'm fine if cruise line want to test before a cruise.

Stop passing the infection and we may slow down the virus mutating and finally get rid of it.
estnet, gretchendz, boxo and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ForSpud
Why is "no end game" an issue? We are learning about how this affects our lives as we go along. We have not had a pandemic like this in the modern travel era, why would you expect all the answers to be foreseen and laid out in advance?
I agree. This has been a moving target and we've learned as we went along. (I no longer spray down my groceries or quarantine nonperishables in the garage!) It was common knowledge among scientists that viruses mutate but when, and how (more or less dangerous? more or less contagious?) were unknowns. The scientist who developed the rotavirus vaccine said in an interview with Dr. Peter Attia that ordinarily it would have taken us 10-15 years to clear all the legal, regulatory and testing hurdles to get us to this point with aa vaccine.

It's bad news for those of us who love travel but we have to flex.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by nbs2
What cruise line is this? I'm taking a quick look at three lines that sail from near me andI'm not going to go through every line, but none of those at the terminal within driving distance from me are taking a hard "cannot board and the fare will not be refunded" position (albeit, only as credit in the case of the most budget-y of the three).
NCL as posted in the WIKI

"guests denied embarkation or reboarding for failure to comply with NCL Covid-19n policies or procedures will not be entitled to a refund or any compensation of any kind".
not2017 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
"guests denied embarkation or reboarding for failure to comply with NCL Covid-19n policies or procedures will not be entitled to a refund or any compensation of any kind".
There's a major difference between failing a test and failing to comply with policies and procedures.
gretchendz and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:31 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
NCL as posted in the WIKI

From NCL.com:

1 - If one person in our party tests positive, will we all be denied boarding? Will the Company assist with travel arrangements?

If one person in the party tests positive for COVID-19, immediate family members, those traveling in the same cabin as the guest who tested positive and those identified as a close contact will be denied boarding.

If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements, for you and those traveling with you if they are also denied boarding. The cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise line’s health and safety protocols.

2 - If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a full refund?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.

All refund requests must be made within six months of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should visit https://www.ncl.com/case-submission.

So what you posted and what NCL actually states on their website are not the same. Be fair and post the whole policy, and not what you pick and chose to ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.