Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Family of 5 on cruise -- cabin approach?

Family of 5 on cruise -- cabin approach?

Old Jul 18, 2021, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Clan Loganair
Originally Posted by albie
I've never cruised before with my family (husband/me + 3 kids, currently ages 12, 12, 13).
We're considering a cruise -- actually a transatlantic crossing -- in the coming year or two, and trying to figure out how families of 5 book cruise cabins?
When we stay in hotels, we usually get a suite (us) + adjoining room with 2 doubles (kids). Is there a cruise ship equivalent of that?

I've had a look at Cunard's QM2, and they don't book cabins for U16 without an adult -- but presumably we could just book an adult for each room, and then sleep differently.
Any experience on the QM2 -- are there adjoining rooms?

Thanks for any guidance!
When my 3 kids were littlem wife and I rented balcony suite and an inner cabin for them (figured they just needed it for sleep), Disney shifts their boats cross Atlantic - they were also rated #1 for both kids and adults and many cruse lines "train" their staff on a Disney boat. Have done a Queen many times and it is a great way to cross the pond, but not many kids. See: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=259
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.
Thanks for all the input! Mr Albie and I have taken several cruises, so know what we’re getting into (and quite like sea days)… although I think we’ve decided against the Cunard crossing on the grounds that, upon further reading, it doesn’t seem to match the premium level we’re looking for. But the overall tips and comments above about cruising with kids is quite helpful, as we’ll likely do a cruise in the next year or two with 3 teenagers! Thanks!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If money is no object, see if Ponant has a TATL cruise when you have the time. The olded class of ships (soleal, austral, lyrial and boreal) have a very few cabins at the forward end of the bottom passenger deck (3) that has a day bed that can be a 3rd berth bed too. Ideal for the children.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.