Search

Travel insurance and cruise cancellation

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Travel insurance and cruise cancellation

What are the penalties, if any, if one gets travel insurance AFTER (well after) making the "final payment"?

Situation: We are booked on Regent 7 Seas late October. Final payment is June 2nd. The cruise line, as an inducement to book, gave passengers a guarantee of 100% credit (less $200 admin) if we back out early, UP TO 15 days before sailing. Not sure what happens if they do not sail, but would expect refund or bonus credit.

We believe that if we sign up for the insurance (not with the expensive plan of Regent, but a different carrier) and Regent does not sail, we would be out our insurance money?

If we wait until 15 days before sailing (have a better idea if the ship is sailing or not) to buy the insurance, does that in anyway change the coverage? Long ago, some told me that insurance must be bought BEFORE final payment?

On the CC Board for our sailing, someone posted that the final payment for the cruise before ours was just changed to 60 days before sailing. I do not know if this is correct. Not sure I can depend on similar happening for our cruise. Either way the questions above will help us make a decide what to do.

We can: 1. cancel before the end of May and loose a modest amount, but loose out on a cruise that seldom happens, and is not done by others. We are not young, and may not be able to reinvent this sailing; or 2. wait until the end of May and book or not book insurance (based on a ? above); or 3. keep the booking and wait until the 15 day period without insurance (accepting the credit for Regent, if we or they don't go) and make a decision at that point about the insurance.

Can you help advise us with some facts??
Old May 3, 2021, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Generally speaking, trip insurance for a cruise needs to be purchased before final payment, but I have no idea what changes have occurred due to Covid. Also, depending on the policy, the cost of the insurance may be refunded if the cruise is cancelled by Regent. I'm afraid you will need to carefully examine the details of any insurance policy that you end up considering.

P.S. - your cruise itinerary looks awesome!
not2017 likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 5:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you. They have 60 vacant cabins they are holding for covid reasons. If thing improve a lot, and they release some, I can only imagine what price will be charged!

I assumed the insurance company would not return the premium, as part of their coverage is for the months preceding the cruise.

Last edited by ranles; May 3, 2021 at 5:22 pm Reason: short data
Old May 3, 2021, 11:38 pm

One thing to keep in mind for travel insurance in current times is the CDC/US State department highest level risk travel advisories. Traveling to those countries usually voids travel insurance coverage. Most cruises would probably avoid that but say, U.K. is still currently on the list. So are Canada and Greece.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...visories.html/

ETA: This is my understanding when I read my policy in Feb/March 2020 and called the provider to clarify. This may not be accurate according to a travel insurance broker https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/...ancel-my-trip/

I have done #3 when the primary risk factor was health insurance and I was willing to absorb any non-cancellable fees or booked close enough in that it didn't matter.

Last edited by freecia; May 7, 2021 at 12:22 am
Old May 4, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ranles
I assumed the insurance company would not return the premium, as part of their coverage is for the months preceding the cruise.
Assumptions are dangerous, and I've never purchased nor researched travel insurance, but I share your assumption. After all, if you get in a car wreck, the insurance company doesn't refund your premiums--they just pay for what was covered.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:12 pm

You can usually transfer coverage from a cruise to another if travel has not started. It is all outlined in your policy which most states will even allow you to cancel a few days after purchase even if you find something in the small print you over looked. You state insurance rules may differ. You can always ask questions of the agent before purchasing too.
Most cancel of any reason, policies, except in my state which does not allow it, you have to purchase it a few days after initial purchase of the cruise even if using future cruise credits.
gretchendz and not2017 like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Whay Brighton said plus

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
You can usually transfer coverage from a cruise to another if travel has not started. It is all outlined in your policy which most states will even allow you to cancel a few days after purchase even if you find something in the small print you over looked. You state insurance rules may differ. You can always ask questions of the agent before purchasing too.
Most cancel of any reason, policies, except in my state which does not allow it, you have to purchase it a few days after initial purchase of the cruise even if using future cruise credits.
I would just add a couple things to what Brighton said. I have worked with several "outside" insurers who, when a trip was cancelled by the cruise line during Covid, allowed the insurance to be credited toward a future trip. So, if you need names of such insurance, feel free to PM me. It should be stated on the insurers website.

You did not mention what you want to insure against. As you surmise, if Regent cancels they will almost certainly refund or offer you future cruise credit. The big exception to this if the cruise line goes into financial default or bankruptcy (2 different things, actually). Then you are just another creditor. Honestly, Crystal is the Cruise line with the most concerns out there now. You can google it if you want to know more.

However, to get the maximum benefits, such a financial default of the cruise line, preexisting condition coverage, etc. you need to purchase the policy within x days (varies with the insurance company) from payment of INITIAL deposit. They'll still take your money after that, of course, you will just typically get a bit lesser coverage. If you are mainly looking for the standard things like medical evacuation, serious illness (without a pre-existing condition) you should be able to pick some up around the time of your final payment or soon thereafter.

Not part of your question, but one of things I do not like about Regent is they expect final payment so much further out than almost any other cruise line.
not2017 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:57 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you.

As we are seniors, we are concerned with medical when ever we leave the US (Medicare does not cover). Dealing in non English situations, coordinating getting care, transportation, quality of care etc. Coverage might make the difference between life and death (not financial coverage, but the coordination and assistance part). I am unaware of buying just that coverage. Cruise cost coverage is measurable, and we historically did not buy insurance. As we get older, this becomes more concerning. This year, with the residual of covid, it is even more concerning. Getting to the right place for treatment is key.
Old May 6, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ah yes

Thank you.

As we are seniors, we are concerned with medical when ever we leave the US (Medicare does not cover). Dealing in non English situations, coordinating getting care, transportation, quality of care etc. Coverage might make the difference between life and death (not financial coverage, but the coordination and assistance part). I am unaware of buying just that coverage. Cruise cost coverage is measurable, and we historically did not buy insurance. As we get older, this becomes more concerning. This year, with the residual of covid, it is even more concerning. Getting to the right place for treatment is key.
Me too! When we were younger I never gave it a thought. Now-between becoming older and what's happened in the last year, I won't take a cruise without it. These are the very things I think that should concern you . PreCovid, many travel agents would recommend buying through the cruise line as it was often less expensive than buying through a third party. Covid has changed things a bit--and also made it more likely someone wants to insure against the financial default of the cruise line. And Covid, of course.

Most of the major travel insurance companies would cover want you want, but policies vary a LOT. Feel free to PM me if you need help.
not2017 likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:04 am

As we are seniors, we are concerned with medical when ever we leave the US (Medicare does not cover). Dealing in non English situations, coordinating getting care, transportation, quality of care etc. Coverage might make the difference between life and death (not financial coverage, but the coordination and assistance part). I am unaware of buying just that coverage.
There are also travel medical policies without things like trip interruption, supplier default, lost luggage, and identity theft. My senior aged parents have used GeoBlue for annual policies https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-b...medical-plans/ https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-b...medical-plans/ and there are also a few other companies.

Independent evacuation coverage also exists like MedJetAssist. International SOS would also help with coordinating local resources & doctors. There's also extraction services like RipCordRescue and Global Rescue which are suitable for more extreme rescues.

Good that you're checking into medical travel coverage. I've often insured for cruises due to potential medical evacuation and medical coverage costs. I also wouldn't want to be the only one advocating for my healthcare (often travel solo) in a foreign country especially if it wasn't known to be strong in that area. The pricing for just covering medical and evac at a stated total is actually pretty reasonable cost. The more expensive components were trip interruption and cancellation (which are worthwhile considerations) since you have to insure for the full non-refundable cost/potential loss of the trip. Perhaps it was odd as a younger traveler but I figure seniors have learned those lessons, some first hand, and packages aimed for young backpacker/flashpacker were often inferior coverage for the cost. Pre-existing condition coverage also matters as people get older and have more medical needs.
gretchendz, not2017 and ysolde like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 10:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
I was a travel agent for a long time. I don't like cruise line cancelation policies. There are 2 websites: insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. Squaremouth has policies that cover Covid issues. As you are so close to departure, you can not get coverage for pre-existing health conditions. But the Covid insurances are more important. You can check all these policies on-line. But you can also call and ask if you have concerns about what you purchasing. If the ship doesn't sail, then Regent will probably take care of you. On the other hand, you need coverage in case you catch Covid, even if you do sail.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
JDiver has suggested an annual medical evacuation policy oriented toward scuba divers at times as good value for travelers.

There should be medicare supplement policies that cover international travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.