Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

The first SeaDream Caribbean Cruise shutdown after Covid scare.....

The first SeaDream Caribbean Cruise shutdown after Covid scare.....

Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
So it was all the Abbott rapid test (ID Now) and not a PCR test on board?
Did the Bermudian authorities use PCR?
I thought the Abbott rapid test was less accurate, I have only had the PCR test.
From what I’ve read, actually not read since the articles lack details, it seems the onboard tests were the Abbott rapid test. Tests to first get to Barbados had to be PRC and subsequent tests by Barbados officials have all been PRC. Onboard PRC testing seems to be a stumbling block for some lines and may be one of the reasons, among many, why at least US based cruises are still basically on hold. PRC testing requires machines, supplies, and technicians all of which are still in relatively low supply.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:39 pm

+2 Crew members now returning positive PCR test results
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5737/

Their press release cancelling all 2020 cruises issued on 17-Nov-2020
https://seadream.com/pressreleases/s...t-of-the-year/

Likely not the end of this, either, as yes, they let passengers off on Saturday where they promptly boarded flights. BA was boarding like it was 2019
Randyk47 and 747FC like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks for posting.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 2:52 pm

So it looks like Seadream was very successful in their "Ruby Princess" plan -- quickly get the potentially infected passengers off the ship and scattered onto planes to home where contact tracing would be minimal to none. 2 crew tested positive as/after the passengers were departing, anyone thing it's really likely that *zero* additional passengers were infected? I can't find any more recent information -- if there was followup with all of the passengers and all had been negative a few days after returning home *that* would have been reported by the cruise line, so it's telling that there was no further reporting.

Cruising really can't be restarted unless or until the lines, the authorities at ports, and even the passengers themselves are willing to take actual precautions and more importantly be a partner in dealing with infections that occur. That includes no-whining quarantines on or off ship when needed, participating in followup confirmations, and honest reporting of the results.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron
So it looks like Seadream was very successful in their "Ruby Princess" plan -- quickly get the potentially infected passengers off the ship and scattered onto planes to home where contact tracing would be minimal to none. 2 crew tested positive as/after the passengers were departing, anyone thing it's really likely that *zero* additional passengers were infected? I can't find any more recent information -- if there was followup with all of the passengers and all had been negative a few days after returning home *that* would have been reported by the cruise line, so it's telling that there was no further reporting.
I believe three of the four press people tweeted they'd tested negative again upon arriving home and quarantining a few days. Three of them were from UK and were required to self isolate when they returned (though I will note that two acted like they opted to self isolate "to be safe" when it is a clear gov't mandate*).

The lack of data in such a situation isn't a data point for "0 positive cases", either. Some theme parks in a state with questionable public facing metrics have previously cited that no cases can be traced to their business or other similar businesses citing those stats in hopes of reopening. Some people think the CDC puts unfair coverage on cruises but I'd also say given the metrics they do have, it is too bad they didn't have more data on other modes of transportation, airports, and large tourism attractions. Also wishful thinking that these businesses could have lobbied to get actual measures to push down cases and transmission to help address the problem. Other cruise lines likely took deep interest in this cruise and letting SeaDream be the PR guinea pig.

The Healthy Sail Panel does include some post-mortems and policy revisions but I didn't see further contact tracing for disembarked "healthy" passengers. A lot of it presumes they could have sufficient isolation and contact tracing onboard or ports would accept a COVID-19 positive passenger in critical condition. CDC's Framework for Conditional Sailing https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...us-cruise-ship does require initial sailings to test the crew. " The initial phase requires crew screening to determine the prevalence of COVID-19 among all crew members currently on cruise ships in U.S. waters." so it could be possible for them to require those numbers to continue to be reported to CDC for some time.

* Barbados is on England's current travel corridor list where they would not need to self isolate https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...avel-corridors but a cruise ship with covid positives isn't the same as 14 land days in Barbados.

Last edited by freecia; Dec 12, 2020 at 5:00 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.