Costa Cruises has restarted in Europe

Old Sep 16, 2020, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Costa Cruises has restarted in Europe

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/55...eferrer=Boards
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Very interesting. Thanks for posting. This comes from the cruise line that allowed its captain to go off course and crash a ship on rocks.

Of note, per the article:

"One of the aspects of Costa's return, similar to what MSC Cruises does, is that all passengers must take an antigen COVID-19 swab test in the terminal before boarding. People who test positive then take a second molecular test, just to make sure there's not a false positive, before boarding."

It is well known that the false positive rate of this antigen testing is low, but the false negative rate is higher. What Costa is doing is only testing those who might have to be denied embarkation and have their money returned. They care much less if you have COVID-19 and there is a failure to find it on testing.

Source:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/faq-20484429

"Antigen test. This COVID-19 test detects certain proteins in the virus. Using a nasal or throat swab to get a fluid sample, antigen tests can produce results in minutes. Because these tests are faster and less expensive than PCR tests, antigen tests may be more practical to use for large numbers of people. A positive antigen test result is considered very accurate, but there's an increased chance of false-negative results meaning it's possible to be infected with the virus but have a negative result. Depending on the situation, the doctor may recommend a PCR test to confirm a negative antigen test result." [Bolding added]
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's like playing Russian roulette. The ship has got to full of non-believers.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't this a cruise line that's known for really packing the people in on their ships? Mass market crowds.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't this a cruise line that's known for really packing the people in on their ships? Mass market crowds.
They have/had ships from 2k passengers and much more. In the earlier days of my cruising, I was on three cruises with them. Our general perspective was that the staff exerted little control over passengers who clearly needed structure. There was a laissez faire attitude amongst the staff with respect to passenger misbehavior. Many of the staff seemed incompetent, leading us to stop cruising with them even before the Concordia disaster.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
They have/had ships from 2k passengers and much more. In the earlier days of my cruising, I was on three cruises with them. Our general perspective was that the staff exerted little control over passengers who clearly needed structure. There was a laissez faire attitude amongst the staff with respect to passenger misbehavior. Many of the staff seemed incompetent, leading us to stop cruising with them even before the Concordia disaster.
Although Italian culture and society seems a bit unorganised and chaotic (*), I imagine it is poor leadership/mgmt somewhere at Costa that allowed all the unfortunate events to happen. Only been on a few larger Italian-crewed boats (assorted Corsica Ferries, Saremar and Tirrenia ships) and captained (Celebrity Millennium) and nothing short of fairly-efficient and safe operation.

* - Hence the joke about hell being organised by the Italian heaven by the Swiss).
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent Costa cruise European reports?
Am considering a 7 day RT Trieste primarily to Greece, early November. Appreciate info on covid sanitation and general info. Would purchase a suite with dining room for only suite guests so I would not have to use the buffet. I've been on Costa before and dont particularly like it but this cruise works time and port-wise. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any recent Costa cruise European reports?
Am considering a 7 day RT Trieste primarily to Greece, early November. Appreciate info on covid sanitation and general info. Would purchase a suite with dining room for only suite guests so I would not have to use the buffet. I've been on Costa before and dont particularly like it but this cruise works time and port-wise. Thanks in advance.
November is not the best time to cruise Greece. weather is iffy and most islands have begun to shut down.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by david55
November is not the best time to cruise Greece. weather is iffy and most islands have begun to shut down.
Thanks but weather not a problem. Hate the heat. Been on similar cruise, same time period.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:15 am

FYI:
currently ALL costa European cruises will not allow passengers off the ship at any ports in Europe unless passenger is on a COSTA tour. No individual passenger exploration, no NON-costa tours. This is a Costa rule except for Italy in which it is an Italian rule.

Not transparent enough on Costa site but it is indicated here. Their website should be more transparent particularly when their phone lines are never open on a weekend which would enable potential passengers to ask question and not waste time considering cruise options.
https://www.costacruises.com/cruisin...above-all.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.