Search

Something cruise ships need

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Something cruise ships need

With social distancing requirements and elevators that were slow and inadequate in number to begin with, I wonder if cruise sips should be retrofitted with these:

It'll be a lot faster than long waits for slow rides. I guess another reason why I liked cruising on Ponant's Le Soleal - only 5 levels between bottom (restaurant) and top (aft bar) so the two elevators for pax wasn't necessary (only one staircase for pax towards the aft was a bit annoying though). .

The first (and actually, only) time I've seen one in action was at a valet parking garage in Reno. Surprised it got past OSHA but they've apparently been in use for a century and a quarter.
gretchendz likes this.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Sep 1, 2020 at 4:47 pm
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:35 pm

It looks dangerous and only belongs at construction sites. If a person can't use the stairs because of mobility problem, I don't think he/she should step on to this thing...
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
It looks dangerous and only belongs at construction sites.
That's why I mentioned I was surprised that thing got past OSHA. The belt manlift I saw in Reno was working a lot faster than the videos shown.

Here's the uses a current manufacturer lists:

Common Uses for a Manlift:

• Alternative energy windmills
  • Automobile parking garages
  • Bakeries
  • Breweries
  • Can and carton plants
  • Cement, gravel, rock and sand processing
  • Chemical plants
  • Dairy processing plants
  • Dehydrating plants
  • Distilleries
  • Ethanol plants
  • Factories
  • Feed mills
  • Flour mills
  • Glass manufacturing plants
  • Grain elevators
  • Hydrocarbon processing plants
  • Malting plants
  • Meat packing plants
  • Mines and quarries
  • Oil refineries
  • Paper and pulp mills
  • Power plants
  • Rice mills
  • Salt processing plants
  • Seed handling and processing plants
  • Ships and shipyards
  • Soap products plants
  • Soybean mills
  • Sugar refineries
  • Warehouses
  • Waste incineration facilities
If a person can't use the stairs because of mobility problem, I don't think he/she should step on to this thing...
Undoubtedly but it'll make it easier/faster for the rest of us.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:46 am

Similar to Paternoster lifts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster_lift which don't have the best modern safety record. I can barely navigate the hallway when there are rough seas...
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Similar to Paternoster lifts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster_lift which don't have the best modern safety record. I can barely navigate the hallway when there are rough seas...
Oh wow, I have no idea there is something like that. Just looking at the picture makes me think of Wile E Coyote walking off the cliff!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Thanks Never knew this existed. Some mongrel of an elevator, escalator, conveyor belt and gondola lift while the belt manlift is a mongrel of a conveyor belt, escalator and perhaps chair lift.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.