Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Royal Caribbean stock jumps 10 percent on demand for cruises next year

Old Aug 10, 20, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...BCOXAVYPQRDPA4

Last week I booked a cruise with Regent for December 2021. See you all on board or onshore!

Stocks of Royal Caribbean surged 10 percent Monday as optimistic customers book trips for next year, in what the chief executive described as passengers yearning to return to travel after months of isolation.

In an interview with CNBC Monday, company head Richard Fain said: “I think we are seeing that there is a pent-up demand. People are frustrated being at home and being isolated."

Bookings for 2021 are trending within the company’s historical ranges, according to Royal Caribbean’s recent earnings report, released Monday. ~snip
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Batman's brother View Post
Bookings for 2021 are trending within the companyís historical ranges, according to Royal Caribbeanís recent earnings report, released Monday.
That's almost to be expected as all the bookings (except from Jan to March) have to re-book in 2021 to use the FCC. I am sure people who booked interior will also move up to a balcony.
Old Aug 11, 20, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Need View Post
That's almost to be expected as all the bookings (except from Jan to March) have to re-book in 2021 to use the FCC.
According to Jim Cramer, 60% of the bookings are from first-time cruisers. I believe that's quite a bit higher than historical averages.
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
According to Jim Cramer, 60% of the bookings are from first-time cruisers. I believe that's quite a bit higher than historical averages.
I’m surprised at that number. With all the past and present negative news I’d think that it would be hard to attract new cruisers. It would be interesting to see how that breaks down with the major brands. Some, like Carnival, typically attract new cruisers while other lines, like Holland America, are known for their high percentage of returning cruisers.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 12, 20 at 7:46 am
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:40 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
Iím surprised at that number. With all the past and present negative news Iíd think that it would be hard to attract new cruisers.
Well, it is Jim Cramer, so who knows how accurate it is. Maybe people are sensing a bargain. For the average traveler, price supercedes all.
Old Aug 12, 20, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I am not sure how the math works out. If the total is trending toward the same as previous years, and 60% of the booking are first time cruisers, that would mean 60% of the 2020 cruisers will have to give up their FCC. Because 2021 will have less spaces available, they can't fit 60% of the fresh cruisers and 100% of the existing 2020 cruisers.
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Because 2021 will have less spaces available, they can't fit 60% of the fresh cruisers and 100% of the existing 2020 cruisers.
Without seeing the raw data (untilfered by the press), it's impossible to tell. But not every cancelled cruise was 100% booked in the first place, and a lot of people took cash refunds instead of FCC.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: