Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

CDC extends no sail order to September 30.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
We're scheduled to go out on November 1, 2020 but I suspect that will be cancelled. Wife wants to go so guess I'll risk it. Don't think there is anyway in the world for the different cruise lines to implement all of those guidelines in time for any sailings this year. I can't see wearing a mask full time on the ship + ashore and our trip is scheduled for 14 days.
I’d be beyond surprised if there is much of any cruising out of or into the US the rest of this year much less by 1 November.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It would be surprising if any country gave a blank cheque to cruise lines to off-load and transport COVID-positive passengers/crew and their close contacts. You could potentially be handling hundreds of people.
I also wonder if there will be provisions for land quarantining passengers who test negative. If there's wide spread on the ship in a Diamond Princess scenario, will non-COVID passengers be given a choice to quarantine on land to await testing in ~5-14 days in Grand Princess style? Healthy passengers normally can't disembark from the ship early without pre-arranging with the cruise line (downline).

Crew did get off at intermediate ports more often, potentially transferring ships. Seems like one could be effectively at sea without passengers in a cruise stop for quite some time, though https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...arkations.html
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
I remember that CDC report didn't include Carnival ships COVID-19 stats as they moved out of US waters during the No Sail. Three ships still in Red, ship status last updated Sept 15.

CLIA's recommendation:
https://cruising.org/en/news-and-res...alth-protocols

Just once? When did they have to get that test? Is that really all that's needed on this flyer along with rather confusing graphic or emoji of two test tubes/sunglasses with socks? Any specific result of the test? https://cruising.org/-/media/Infogra...20TESTING%20V1

RCL & NCL's recommendation:
https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/...1.20_FINAL.pdf

"SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals and their close contacts to debark and travel home". Debark - we've been speculating on that. Travel Home - Clarification needed. "SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals", so really individuals with COVID-19, to get on a plane while positive with their close contacts, likely also positive if they've been sharing a cabin, taking transit where that local shore worker also doesn't get any testing, just symptom screening?

Nothing mentioned about testing after return or suggesting quarantine. Not that I'd expect the cruise lines to mention this as people don't want to quarantine, but the federal level's messaging on this is absent and I feel my state and county don't really mention anything about this in their social media channels, lest it be seen as encouraging personal travel.
@Boggie Dog - The joint RCCL/NCL recommendation notes they'll start with shorter cruises to private islands, first. Is it specifically the cruise or would just about anything other than your own home do?
In this case it's the cruise, I see a cruise to a private island to just be a revenue generator. Pretty much the same as flights to nowhere that some airlines are offering.

Carnival and Celebrity ships are clustered south of Grand Bahama making runs into Freeport for provisions. Saw one ship from that cluster head down to Sint Maarten. It's been in port for several days.

My confidence in the CDC is lagging. CDC needs to up its game when releasing position announcements.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:05 am

My confidence in the CDC is lagging. CDC needs to up its game when releasing position announcements.
Bit of a catch 22, isn't it? Plenty of politics within the government vs public and shifting COVID-19 spikes over the last few months. Public comments were taken until yesterday and CLIA + NCL/RCCL took until the last days to provide them. If the CDC provided a position statement this week, they're seen as not taking the cruise line comments under due consideration. Take more than a week or so and they'll be "slowing down business".

I'd rather they change the publishing access passwords/permissions and tighten up their reviews prior to publication. I do wonder if some of the slip ups and insertions to the CDC website is due to political infighting to make them appear untrustworthy or restart things which the majority of career CDC doesn't feel should be restarted.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I read the CDC No Sail order correctly it will expire next Thursday. I would have expected an announcement to be released by now if there was any intention to further extend the order.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would have expected an announcement to be released by now if there was any intention to further extend the order.
Probably not really necessary. The cruise lines have already extended their voluntary shutdowns into December.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Probably not really necessary. The cruise lines have already extended their voluntary shutdowns into December.
Apparently not all of them. We are scheduled for a November 1st departure from a U.S. port and it's not a short cruise.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:22 am

Apparently not all of them. We are scheduled for a November 1st departure from a U.S. port and it's not a short cruise.
Which cruise line?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Which cruise line?
Carnival.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:12 pm

Carnival.
Interesting. I see a 5-day on 2 November but the longer 7-8 day cruises are later in the month.

Last edited by Randyk47; Sep 27, 2020 at 3:22 pm
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Interesting. I see a 5-day on 2 November but the longer 7-8 day cruises are later in the month.

14 days departs Galveston.

edit to add:

Just searched for our booking and can't find any new current offers for that sailing. Wife read some scuttlebutt that all cabin assignments were frozen and no additional bookings allowed. That may just be a pile of hokum.

I still expect this cruise to be cancelled and surprised it hasn't had the plug pulled already. Seems like the carrier is taking a lot of risk to push ahead at this time not to mention passengers.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Sep 27, 2020 at 6:39 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:51 am

Just searched for our booking and can't find any new current offers for that sailing. Wife read some scuttlebutt that all cabin assignments were frozen and no additional bookings allowed. That may just be a pile of hokum.

I still expect this cruise to be cancelled and surprised it hasn't had the plug pulled already. Seems like the carrier is taking a lot of risk to push ahead at this time not to mention passengers.
It is cruise cancellation chicken and the resulting knock-on cancellations. Also partially why I decided cash refund was better.

Public comments were taken until yesterday and CLIA + NCL/RCCL took until the last days to provide them.
The comments are available here:
https://www.regulations.gov/docketBr...2020-0087-0001

Clicked through and noted a few things:
1. Not sure if commenters read the CDC's no sail order & COVID-19 on ships statistics.
2. Sure are a lot of CLIA points in resume sailing posts, almost verbatim. Do they run these through machine learning filters to group them?
3. Not a single one I've clicked on has addressed the quarantine ship scenario where it is turned away at all ports and how much that would hurt consumer trust.
4. Some eco champions also submitted comments. Again, machine learning filters?

Plenty of people stating they trust the cruise lines, but are also travel agents by profession who earn commission on cruises (they're not hiding this). Some are cruisers who just want to go on vacation, though most say nothing about caring for the health of crew or the communities they'd presumably visit. Only financial concerns.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:40 am

https://www.axios.com/scoop-white-ho...4e9a39fb6.html

Looks like next extension of No Sail will be until October 31, 2020.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Ummm

https://www.axios.com/scoop-white-ho...4e9a39fb6.html

Looks like next extension of No Sail will be until October 31, 2020.

These people are insane. Politics should never. over-rule public health. I am a huge cruise proponent--but my personal extension is "Until I really believe it's safe,"
freecia likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:24 am

No Sail order update https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/C...-30-2020-p.pdf

Cumulative CDC data from March 1 through September 28, 2020, show a total of 3,689 confirmed cases of COVID-191 or COVID-like illness cases on cruise ships and 41 deaths. These data have also revealed a total of 102 outbreaks on 124 different cruise ships, meaning more than 82% of ships within U.S. jurisdiction were affected by COVID-19 during this time frame. In addition, four cruise ships still have ongoing or resolving COVID-19 outbreaks on board. Recent outbreaks on cruise ships overseas continue to demonstrate that reduced capacity alone has not diminished transmission.
Still four ships with outbreaks currently going in and out of US waters. With protocols presumably in place to get to green/"clean" for several months to repatriate crew.

Carnival ships generally moved outside US waters so they aren't included in the count. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...al-travel.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.