Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

CDC extends no sail order to September 30.

Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
What I find interesting is there are still 9 ships with active COVID-19 cases. I’d be interested to know which ships and at what level of reduced manning.
Ship status here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...al-travel.html

No Carnival corp ships currently? Perhaps they haven't filed a No Sail Order response plan?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by freecia
No Carnival corp ships currently? Perhaps they haven't filed a No Sail Order response plan?
I read somewhere Carnival moved all their ships out of U.S. waters, or pulled planned U.S. sailings or some such so it doesn't have to respond as its ships thus were outside U.S. jurisdiction.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I read somewhere Carnival moved all their ships out of U.S. waters, or pulled planned U.S. sailings or some such so it doesn't have to respond as its ships thus were outside U.S. jurisdiction.
Yes, looks like a pod in the Bahamas and another near Aruba
https://www.marinevesseltraffic.com/...-ships-tracker

Several Princess ships near Malaysia

Various lines have a pod near Manila but a few will go into port over the next few days. Some have been at sea for a while so hopefully repatriation, though Manila seems to be the center of the outbreak last week?

The Carnival ships near the Bahamas really aren't tracked putting into port very often. I hope they really only have essential crews and they're still able to get supplies. Similar pod neighbors like Oasis still port into Miami every so often https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/OASIS-OF-THE-SEAS-IMO-9383936-MMSI-311020600 The recent ban on US tourists to Bahama doesn't seem to include include crew only passenger vessels.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 9:41 pm

Looks like TUI resumed sailing today July 24 while Hapag-Lloyd and Aida also have few sailings in the coming weeks. All are sailing within Europe and Hapag-Lloyd has agreed to only welcome guests who are residents in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland at this time.
https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...ainst-cruising
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Looks like TUI resumed sailing today July 24 while Hapag-Lloyd and Aida also have few sailings in the coming weeks. All are sailing within Europe and Hapag-Lloyd has agreed to only welcome guests who are residents in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland at this time.
https://www.maritime-executive.com/a...ainst-cruising
I understand these cruises are no-stop.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I understand these cruises are no-stop.
Apparently, the first one was only for sale to 60% capacity, and went out about 40% full.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Apparently, the first one was only for sale to 60% capacity, and went out about 40% full.
I wonder if we are going to get to see a Miami Marlins result :
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:08 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think it's pretty safe to assume no North American cruises until 2021 (at least).
In spite of that news, our Holland America cruise we booked a year ago on the Oosterdam SEA-SYD is still scheduled to leave on 9/27/20. In fact, HAL is still selling cabins for that cruise. Plenty of our shipmates have already cancelled with no penalty but we have not cancelled. Our final payment is due tomorrow but HAL has allowed us to hold off on that as long as we'd like with no penalty which is very fair. Granted, at this point it looks like it would be quite unlikely that we go but who knows. If we go, we could be the canaries in the coal mine for the cruise industry...
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My spouse read that information has gone out to TA indicating that Carnival intends to resume cruises beginning November. Can't vouch for the accuracy of that claim. We're booked for a 14 day cruise early November.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Not really an official announcement, but a tease on FB

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
My spouse read that information has gone out to TA indicating that Carnival intends to resume cruises beginning November. Can't vouch for the accuracy of that claim. We're booked for a 14 day cruise early November.
A Carnival Cruise Line official announced the company is “extremely hopeful” it will once again offer shortened cruises in November.

Carnival brand ambassador John Heald
expressing the cruise line’s excitement for the successful relaunch of voyages by another brand in the Carnival Corporation portfolio, Costa Cruises.

Heald said with the launch of Costa and the upcoming restart of services by AIDA Cruises, Carnival Cruise Line is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to develop a plan to bring back voyages safely for all passengers and crew members.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CLIA has produced action steps if approved by CDC would allow a return to cruising in U.S. waters.

New regulations announced for cruising's return to US waters

CNN) — Universal mask wearing, physical distancing, Covid-19 testing and increasing fresh air into ventilation systems could allow cruising in the US to return before the end of 2020.
The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the industry body that represents the world's major cruise lines, on Monday announced the "mandatory core elements" of a new set of health regulations for the return of cruising in the Americas. CLIA says these protocols will allow for a safe and healthy cruising experience.
I see some issues in this proposal making compliance difficult for passengers.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
CLIA has produced action steps if approved by CDC would allow a return to cruising in U.S. waters.

New regulations announced for cruising's return to US waters

I see some issues in this proposal making compliance difficult for passengers.
Sufficiently difficult enough for us that we won’t be cruising under the conditions outlined. Actually the bigger issue is that if these measures are required then that means the virus is prevalent and not under control.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Sufficiently difficult enough for us that we won’t be cruising under the conditions outlined. Actually the bigger issue is that if these measures are required then that means the virus is prevalent and not under control.
We're scheduled to go out on November 1, 2020 but I suspect that will be cancelled. Wife wants to go so guess I'll risk it. Don't think there is anyway in the world for the different cruise lines to implement all of those guidelines in time for any sailings this year. I can't see wearing a mask full time on the ship + ashore and our trip is scheduled for 14 days.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:44 am

I remember that CDC report didn't include Carnival ships COVID-19 stats as they moved out of US waters during the No Sail. Three ships still in Red, ship status last updated Sept 15.

CLIA's recommendation:
https://cruising.org/en/news-and-res...alth-protocols
Testing. 100% testing of passengers and crew for COVID-19 prior to embarkation.
Just once? When did they have to get that test? Is that really all that's needed on this flyer along with rather confusing graphic or emoji of two test tubes/sunglasses with socks? Any specific result of the test? https://cruising.org/-/media/Infogra...20TESTING%20V1

RCL & NCL's recommendation:
https://www.royalcaribbeangroup.com/...1.20_FINAL.pdf
Testing
2 Cruise operators should implement a crew surveillance program, including periodic testing for SARS-CoV-2, to provide a reasonable level of assurance that the virus is not circulating among crew.
3 Other employees and ancillary staff (e.g., luggage porters and transportation providers) should undergo daily symptom screening but do not need to be regularly tested like crew or guests.
4 All guests joining a ship, regardless of method of travel to the ship, should be tested for SARS-CoV-2 between 5 days and 24 hours before boarding and receive a negative result that is shared with the cruise operator, before coming on board.

Onboard Symptom Tracking and Monitoring
13 Cruise operators should conduct once-daily temperature checks for guests and crew on board.
14 Cruise operators should employ routine symptom screening methodologies to help ensure that potential SARS-CoV-2 infections are identified as quickly as possible.
15 Cruise operators should ensure education efforts are in place to help guests understand the importance of reporting symptoms and potential repercussions of failure to report symptoms.

55 There are two essential prerequisites that need to be satisfied in order for a ship to sail to a given port:
1) Approval from the local government to visit a port.
2) Agreement to allow safe passage to SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals and their close contacts to debark and travel home.

56 Cruise operators should rely primarily on three key parameters when determining whether to travel to a given port:
1) Current burden of SARS CoV-2 as defined by testing rate, positivity rate, and death rate.
2) Local testing capacity.
3) Local/regional/national implementation of SARS CoV-2 mitigation protocols.
"SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals and their close contacts to debark and travel home". Debark - we've been speculating on that. Travel Home - Clarification needed. "SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals", so really individuals with COVID-19, to get on a plane while positive with their close contacts, likely also positive if they've been sharing a cabin, taking transit where that local shore worker also doesn't get any testing, just symptom screening?

Nothing mentioned about testing after return or suggesting quarantine. Not that I'd expect the cruise lines to mention this as people don't want to quarantine, but the federal level's messaging on this is absent and I feel my state and county don't really mention anything about this in their social media channels, lest it be seen as encouraging personal travel.
@Boggie Dog - The joint RCCL/NCL recommendation notes they'll start with shorter cruises to private islands, first. Is it specifically the cruise or would just about anything other than your own home do?

Last edited by freecia; Sep 22, 2020 at 2:29 am
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The record of the cruise lines was less than stellar during the early phase of the pandemic and the mouthpiece for the cruise lines talks a good game but when the boats sail will they be any better than Hurtigruten?

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2020/09...s-hurtigruten/

Norway’s maritime authority has issued a highly critical report of how shipping and cruise line Hurtigruten deviated from health and safety policy and regulations in the midst of the Corona crisis. It notes that Hurtigruten failed to announce or log both suspicion and subsequent confirmation of the Corona virus on board its MS Roald Amundsen last month, even though some crew members were ill more than a week before alarms were sounded on July 31.
And considering the reluctance of crew to enforce other rules would they be equally lax about enforcing mask and distancing requirements particularly given the subset of [mod edit] those who believe wearing a mask is an affront to their "personal freedoms?"

"SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals and their close contacts to debark and travel home". Debark - we've been speculating on that. Travel Home - Clarification needed. "SARS-CoV-2-infected individuals", so really individuals with COVID-19, to get on a plane while positive with their close contacts, likely also positive if they've been sharing a cabin, taking transit where that local shore worker also doesn't get any testing, just symptom screening?
It would be surprising if any country gave a blank cheque to cruise lines to off-load and transport COVID-positive passengers/crew and their close contacts. You could potentially be handling hundreds of people.

Last edited by Badenoch; Sep 28, 2020 at 5:58 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.