Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What do you hear the cruise lines are offering to keep safe?

Old Jul 6, 20, 12:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

We came back from an international cruise on Feb 29th. We cancelled a cruise we were scheduled to take in November. The former, we were on pins and needles about, and the latter was a no brainer.

We like to take a cruise or two each year, but are not sure when we will be able to cruise again. As 75 years old’s, we don’t want to wait, but also, we are in the category that does not do well when infected with the covid.

What do the cruise lines need to do to get us back? I don’t know, so I am posting here.

Much of the travel and leisure industries seem to be “advertising” what actions they are taking to protect their staff and customers. I am only hearing silence from the cruise lines. My travel agent is filling my e-mail with “one-time offers’, quite the same from last years’ offers. Price is not the answer anyway. We want to know how to get to, and back from, the cruise ship with all the moratoriums on flights two and from the USA. I cannot sit for 15 days in a foreign hotel in quarantine before a cruise.

What safety protocols are they instituting? Testing before getting on the ship? Temperature testing? Mandatory hand sanitizing? How often? For who? Not just cleaning and a form! Will they increase the medical staff? Equipment? Will we be required to wear masks?

How do they propose to care for anyone who tests positive on the ship? What if the need is medical attention? Serious medical attention. Can they guarantee they can get us to care? Will they take the responsivity to get me to treatment?

Where are they going to “cruise” me to, that will allow me to get off, tour and then get back on, and safely? Have they cleared, in advance, all the ports they cruise to for access?

Finely, how do I prevent losing my booking funds when the line goes bankrupt? Before or during the cruise?

You get the point. Comments, concerns and discussion.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 20, 1:28 pm

The only thing I heard from cruise line is that "buffet" will be different. They don't know how yet. It could be using re-usable finger gloves. They could have servers at the lines. They could have individual plating (like those with dessert but for everything).

Personally I would just wait a few years. I don't have to travel on a cruise even though I have some FCC to spend until end of 2021. If I lost the FCC, I lost the FCC.
Old Jul 6, 20, 5:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Cruises will have to be operating for at least a year without a COVID-19 outbreak before I'd think about taking one. The prospect of being crammed on a boat with thousands of people in close quarters, communal dining, crew in small shared cabins, group excursions, crowded decks and COVID protocols is bad enough without the realization that should a single person test positive you risk being forced into a two-week shipboard quarantine during which time the virus can run rampant.

I can better avoid the virus on a land-based vacation than on a floating viral incubator where one positive test turns the Love Boat into a prison ship.
Randyk47 and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 6, 20, 5:46 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
We came back from an international cruise on Feb 29th. We cancelled a cruise we were scheduled to take in November. The former, we were on pins and needles about, and the latter was a no brainer.

We like to take a cruise or two each year, but are not sure when we will be able to cruise again. As 75 years old’s, we don’t want to wait, but also, we are in the category that does not do well when infected with the covid.

What do the cruise lines need to do to get us back? I don’t know, so I am posting here.

Much of the travel and leisure industries seem to be “advertising” what actions they are taking to protect their staff and customers. I am only hearing silence from the cruise lines. My travel agent is filling my e-mail with “one-time offers’, quite the same from last years’ offers. Price is not the answer anyway. We want to know how to get to, and back from, the cruise ship with all the moratoriums on flights two and from the USA. I cannot sit for 15 days in a foreign hotel in quarantine before a cruise.

What safety protocols are they instituting? Testing before getting on the ship? Temperature testing? Mandatory hand sanitizing? How often? For who? Not just cleaning and a form! Will they increase the medical staff? Equipment? Will we be required to wear masks?

How do they propose to care for anyone who tests positive on the ship? What if the need is medical attention? Serious medical attention. Can they guarantee they can get us to care? Will they take the responsivity to get me to treatment?

Where are they going to “cruise” me to, that will allow me to get off, tour and then get back on, and safely? Have they cleared, in advance, all the ports they cruise to for access?

Finely, how do I prevent losing my booking funds when the line goes bankrupt? Before or during the cruise?

You get the point. Comments, concerns and discussion.
As far as bankruptcy protection, make sure that your cruise line is on the Covered Supplier list of the insurance policy you take out. Never take one from the cruise line themselves.

Ponant, for one, has articulated their COVID-19 response plan--safety protocols: https://fr.calameo.com/read/00013242...d=ekgNT5Wj7RSN
FlyerEC and Randyk47 like this.
Old Jul 6, 20, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
We currently have three crusies booked for 2021 (first one is in May) and two more for 2022. I assume plans will be announced sometime before the end of this year, giving us plenty of time to cancel if we don't feel the response is sufficient. Fortunately, Canada takes COVID seriously, but all of our cruises involve U.S. ports, so there is some risk.
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
We currently have three crusies booked for 2021 (first one is in May) and two more for 2022. I assume plans will be announced sometime before the end of this year, giving us plenty of time to cancel if we don't feel the response is sufficient. Fortunately, Canada takes COVID seriously, but all of our cruises involve U.S. ports, so there is some risk.
The environmental engineering risks of COVID-19 don't care from what port you enter. Aerolsolization of coronavirus is a threat that is hard to mitigate:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/h...-aerosols.html

239 scientists, many from building engineering and medical fields, basically say your goose is cooked if you are in an indoors setting when COVID-18 is shed. One can download the original letter and supplement here: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article...iaa939/5867798
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:37 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
The environmental engineering risks of COVID-19 don't care from what port you enter.
But dealing with port cities in a countrry that has no respect for the virus is a major issue. At this point, I would feel safer on a cruise ship than I do with traveling to the continental U.S.

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
239 scientists, many from building engineering and medical fields, basically say your goose is cooked if you are in an indoors setting when COVID-18 is shed.
And thousands upon thousands of scientists and public health experts disagree. If that were really the case, every person who has gone grocery shopping and everyone who has been in an airplane this year would have gotten sick. If people are responsible with their behaviour, the facts show that transmission can be minimized. The primary transmission mechanism is personal irresponsibility.
nnn likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jul 6, 20 at 7:45 pm
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ranles View Post
With the information we currently have - it takes unified group effort to keep a region's COVID count low. The responsibility doesn't just belong to officers and crew, it also needs to be shared by the passengers. ​​​​​​ I don't think I'll be taking the published cruise protocols at their word since they can't ensure the passengers will follow everything thoroughly. How good are cruise passengers at washing hands to reduce the risks of norovirus? I am sure those outside the US have also seen videos of people showing up in US stores and throwing tantrums over clearly stated mandatory mask policies and/or not social distancing? Or how people take said policies and use masks as chin guards, necklaces, wrist decor, and otherwise leave their noses uncovered?

I think it'd be more fruitful to check cruise deposit policies and look into some other travel options. Cruise line emails pretty much go to trash for me right now.
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:49 pm

And thousands upon thousands of scientists and public health experts disagree. .
Thanks for this information. Can you share the citation?
Old Jul 7, 20, 5:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
But dealing with port cities in a countrry that has no respect for the virus is a major issue. At this point, I would feel safer on a cruise ship than I do with traveling to the continental U.S.
I wouldn't feel safer on a cruise ship than anywhere in the continental U.S. At least on land it is easier to social distance than a cruise where space is limited. Departing from a U.S. port, particularly one in Texas or Florida, only increases the risk that one of the thousands of people you are sharing the boat with is infected and all it takes is one.

In the world as it exists today I'd put taking a cruise on the same level of stupid as participating in one of those massive American beach parties.
jmastron likes this.
Old Jul 7, 20, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Q. What do you hear the cruise lines are offering to keep safe?

A. Refunds.
freecia, gretchendz, 747FC and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 20, 8:15 am

Aren't the cruise lines sailing from the US still waiting on CDC to issue guidelines?
Isn't the CDC still banning cruising in the US?
Personally not cruising anytime soon most likely not this year at all, and we used to do two 7 days or one long cruise a year for over 25 years. More back in the days of short CTN's or 3 day cruises weekends out of NYC before they got rid of those (only time on Carnival ugh).
For now I will just simulate cruising by pressing every button in the elevator, yelling out each floor, walking slowly in front of people kicking shins and saying beeb beeb like I am on a scooter, eating in the bed room, leaving the dishes at the door. Throwing the towel on the floor in the bathroom.
I just don't understand why for the past few nights I have been told to sleep on the couch by the wife...
nnn, Randyk47 and Badenoch like this.
Old Jul 8, 20, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
Aren't the cruise lines sailing from the US still waiting on CDC to issue guidelines?
I believe the CDC has issued guidance. It's up to the cruise lines to propose how they intend to act on that guidance.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 4, 20 at 7:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 8, 20, 3:12 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Today I received a thick brochure from Viking Cruises. Not one paragraph on safety, covid or similar.

Where are all these cruise ships being stored?
Old Jul 8, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: FB Gold, BA Blue; BW Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold, Wyndham Gold
Not even thinking of a traditional cruise until the world is truly "immunized" in one form or another. There is no way the cruise company can insure passengers and crew adhere to protocols to ensure safety. And the cruise participants will need to interact with others at the ports.

So to keep safe, maybe the first post Covid cruise should only take passengers/crew who have all been immunized a month prior. That is the only way the risk is greatly reduced.

Last edited by smf_ltn; Jul 9, 20 at 7:57 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: