Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise Stoppages Due to COVID-19 novel Coronavirus

Cruise Stoppages Due to COVID-19 novel Coronavirus

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 24, 20, 4:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: serpens
Wiki Link
The advent of COVID-19 global pandemic disease caused by the novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 is causing a number of cruise ship operators to suspend operations for a period of time. Expect possible extensions of these outage periods, depending on the growth and impact if the pandemic. Check with each line on how they’re handling cancellations, changes, refunds and compensation. Some companies continue to operate for now; many are adding health, temperature and secondary health screening.

Aida: through March 31, 2020

Carnival Cruise Line: ships based in North America canceled through June 26 but all Alaska sailings canceled through July 1, 2020 and all 2020 sailings from San Francisco canceled; Carnival Radiance canceled through November 1, 2020; Carnival Legend canceled through October 30, 2020; Carnival Sunrise canceled through October 19, 2020.
Celebrity Cruises: March 14, 2020 to May 11, 2020, Alaska through June 30
Costa: March 13 to April 3, 2020 - Italy sailings
Cunard: (as of April 24) "operational pause" through July 31; Alaska sailings canceled until September 08
Disney Cruise Line: March 14 to March 31, 2020
Fred. Olsen through May 23, 2020
Globus Tours: March 12 to April 30, 2020
Norwegian March 13 - April 11, 2020
Oceania March 13 - April 11, 2020
Princess Cruises: March 12 to May 10, 2020
Regent Seven Seas: March 13 - April 11, 2020
Royal Caribbean: March 13 thru May 11, 2020
Seabourn: March 14 for 30 days
Tauck Tours and Cruises: 16 March to April 14, 2020
Viking Ocean Cruises: March 12 to June 30, 2020
Viking River Cruises: March 12 to June 30, 2020
Virgin Voyages: Scarlet Lady inaugural postponed to August 2020
Windstar Cruises: March 14 to April 30, 2020

Feel free to add policies, changes, discussion below. Signed in members with 90 posts and 90 days’ tenure can edit this Wikipost.

Larger cruise lines: Countries not allowing cruise ships:
Australia (from foreign ports, next 30 days from from 15 March)
Canada until July 1st (Ships with 500 people or more)
Northern Canada (including the Arctic and Northwest Passage) 2020 season cancelled
New Zealand - through 30 June
Singapore
Spain 13-26 March except for disembarkation only until 15 March. All passengers ships from Italy banned during this period

Is your cruise company financially solvent? As of 3/9/20, the following cruise lines are on the Covered Supplier list of Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance:

 Alaskan Dream Cruises  All Discovery Cruising  AMA Waterways  American Cruise Lines  American Queen Steamboat  Azamara Cruises  Blount Small Ship Adventures  Carnival Cruise Lines  Celebrity Cruises  Crystal Cruises  Cunard Line  Disney Cruise Line  Holland America Lines  Hurtigruten  Imperial River Cruises  Innersea Discoveries  MSC Cruises  Norwegian Cruise Lines  Oceania Cruises  Paul Gauguin CruisePearl Seas Cruises  Princess Cruises  Regent Seven Seas Cruises  Royal Caribbean International  Seabourn Cruise Line  Scenic Luxury Cruises and Tours  Silversea Cruises, LTD  Star Clippers  Un-Cruise Adventures  Uniworld  Variety Cruises  Victory Cruise Lines  Viking River Cruises  Viking Ocean Cruises  Windstar Cruises

See Post #16 for a downloadable list of covered suppliers in the aviation, cruise and tour industries.

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 13, 20, 3:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation Cruise Stoppages Due to COVID-19 novel Coronavirus

I thought I’d start this thread, begun a Wikipost we could update.

As well, note the recommendations from the U.S. and other health authorities, travel bans and quarantine requirements for different countries.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of (US) NIAD, recommended, “elderly with underlying conditions, heart disease, chronic lung disease, diabetes...not wait, but right now, to sort of take look at things that are at high risk, crowded places, getting on airplanes, and absolutely don’t get on a cruise ship.”
Need and 747FC like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 20 at 4:04 am
Old Mar 13, 20, 8:39 am

cancelled cruises

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
1) Deviation on Itinerary on a cruise - no longer allowed to enter Russia for the disembarkation at St. Petersburg. Other than extra phone calls and hold time, Connexions rep is competent, plus Princess is very understanding. Took 2 days to get the official Request Approval with confirmation email sent to Connexions and Princess customer relations rep left a message on our phone. Easily accomplished.
You probably know by now.. that Princess pauses all cruises until May 10. But I think you will get a very nice future cruise credit though.
Old Mar 13, 20, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need View Post
You probably know by now.. that Princess pauses all cruises until May 10. But I think you will get a very nice future cruise credit though.
Yes we did. Princess sent out blanket emails between 2 to 3am the day it announced the 60 days voluntary suspension of global sailings.

https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/v...operations.pdf

There is an online form for passengers / travel agents to submit the request on which option of the refunds wanted.

Link is in FAQ 5).

The system was overwhelmed yesterday, or Princess saw almost all requests submitted were for 100% refund + 25% FCC versus the 150% FCC it prefers passengers to take... So they took down the form and redesigned it.
Today the form changed from very plain, matter of factly design to an elaborate affair with Jan the CEO's video at the top, and Bolded, Green with tick marks 150% FCC Option One emphasized at the bottom, versus the Red, 100% Refund + 25% FCC

https://princess.qualtrics.com/jfe/f...IPGcxcN0jSk6c5

My take is, very few people want the 150% FCC hence Princess rushed to modify the form hoping to sway people's decisions. I doubt that would make much difference.

I will send the rep at Connexions an email next Monday asking to clarify some technical aspects (Refund would be back to Connexions credit card even for the 150% FCC because of the taxes / port charges / fee - are all refunded to original form of payment anyway), before we submit our request which would be for 100% refund + 25% FCC.

Will update in due course.
Old Mar 13, 20, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Costa just announced curtailment through 3 April. Just surprised it took so long given its home ports are in Italy. I suspect the Princess suspension was a move to get the brand name out of the (bad) limelight. Carnival (the line) is still offering OBC bribes if you sail as booked.

Addenda: Seems to affect only ships that sailed from and to Italy. Not on most ships that are currently outside Italy.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 13, 20 at 11:49 am
Old Mar 13, 20, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Added a section for countries not allowing cruise ships. Even if your cruiseline is still sailing, a lot of places aren't allowing them to sail.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I didn’t think I’d actually start thinking that cruising pretty much anywhere is close to being totally shut down for at least the next three to four months. Someone asked on another thread about cruise lines going under and I was skeptical. Not so skeptical right now.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
Someone asked on another thread about cruise lines going under and I was skeptical. Not so skeptical right now.
Was me and it was more of a speculative question. The answer will lie in which cruiseco has the highest fixed cost and what their cash position is and what's due debt obligation wise. They'll be fine for the next 60-90 days as they've got the cash from impending cruises (those who are not giving refunds past final payment anyway) but future bookings must be down significantly. Most will probably scrape by but future earnings will be impacted, even if demand mostly but not fully returns (since each marginal cruiser probably costs very little but contributes a lot.).

Cruise ships running out of power or running aground and sinking may be one-ofs but I wonder if this is a the equivalent of a Hindenburg event.
Old Mar 13, 20, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Norwegian is reported to be cancelling sailing for all its brands (Norwegian, Oceania and Regent) through 11 April.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...nt-brands.html

Royal Caribbean Ltd (not sure if that is corporate or just Royal Caribbean Line) is halting U.S. sailings for 30 days starting midnight tonight. Still not clear if it is ex-U.S. sailings only or sailings that touch a U.S. port.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com...n-of-cruising/

It's now on the Celebrity site so most likely will affect all RC family lines,

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 13, 20 at 4:03 pm Reason: Addenda
Old Mar 13, 20, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
There are a bunch of people on the Princess board on CC suggesting that Carnival take out a huge loan to refurbish all Princess ships during this time. "Interest rates are so low!"
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Royal Caribbean Ltd (not sure if that is corporate or just Royal Caribbean Line) is halting U.S. sailings for 30 days
Corporate.
Old Mar 14, 20, 7:30 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Per CNN: "US President Donald Trump tweeted on Friday that at his request, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and MSC cruise lines will suspend outbound cruises for 30 days."

Full article: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/c...ice/index.html
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Norwegian is reported to be cancelling sailing for all its brands (Norwegian, Oceania and Regent) through 11 April.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...nt-brands.html

Royal Caribbean Ltd (not sure if that is corporate or just Royal Caribbean Line) is halting U.S. sailings for 30 days starting midnight tonight. Still not clear if it is ex-U.S. sailings only or sailings that touch a U.S. port.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com...n-of-cruising/

It's now on the Celebrity site so most likely will affect all RC family lines,
It changed from US sailings to Global today and it is on all the cruise lines owned by Royal Caribbean corp.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 4:10 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Seabourn pulls the plug

Seabourn suspends operations For 39 days:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301023392.html
Old Mar 15, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, SW
I have a cruise booked around Spain in October on Ponant. I would like to wait awhile before canceling for sure, but worried about the financial health of the cruise line. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenpasadena View Post
I have a cruise booked around Spain in October on Ponant. I would like to wait awhile before canceling for sure, but worried about the financial health of the cruise line. Any suggestions?
It's owned by a French collector of luxury brands. I'd wager less indebted/deeper-pocketed than most but who knows since it is private.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: