Reload this Page >

Cruise Stoppages Due to COVID-19 novel Coronavirus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serpens
The advent of COVID-19 global pandemic disease caused by the novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 is causing a number of cruise ship operators to suspend operations for a period of time. Expect possible extensions of these outage periods, depending on the growth and impact if the pandemic. Check with each line on how they’re handling cancellations, changes, refunds and compensation. Some companies continue to operate for now; many are adding health, temperature and secondary health screening.

Aida: through March 31, 2020

Carnival Cruise Line: ships based in North America canceled through June 26 but all Alaska sailings canceled through July 1, 2020 and all 2020 sailings from San Francisco canceled; Carnival Radiance canceled through November 1, 2020; Carnival Legend canceled through October 30, 2020; Carnival Sunrise canceled through October 19, 2020.
Celebrity Cruises: March 14, 2020 to May 11, 2020, Alaska through June 30
Costa: March 13 to April 3, 2020 - Italy sailings
Cunard: (as of April 24) "operational pause" through July 31; Alaska sailings canceled until September 08
Disney Cruise Line: March 14 to March 31, 2020
Fred. Olsen through May 23, 2020
Globus Tours: March 12 to April 30, 2020
Norwegian March 13 - April 11, 2020
Oceania March 13 - April 11, 2020
Princess Cruises: March 12 to May 10, 2020
Regent Seven Seas: March 13 - April 11, 2020
Royal Caribbean: March 13 thru May 11, 2020
Seabourn: March 14 for 30 days
Tauck Tours and Cruises: 16 March to April 14, 2020
Viking Ocean Cruises: March 12 to June 30, 2020
Viking River Cruises: March 12 to June 30, 2020
Virgin Voyages: Scarlet Lady inaugural postponed to August 2020
Windstar Cruises: March 14 to April 30, 2020

Feel free to add policies, changes, discussion below. Signed in members with 90 posts and 90 days’ tenure can edit this Wikipost.

Larger cruise lines: Countries not allowing cruise ships:
Australia (from foreign ports, next 30 days from from 15 March)
Canada until July 1st (Ships with 500 people or more)
Northern Canada (including the Arctic and Northwest Passage) 2020 season cancelled
New Zealand - through 30 June
Singapore
Spain 13-26 March except for disembarkation only until 15 March. All passengers ships from Italy banned during this period

Is your cruise company financially solvent? As of 3/9/20, the following cruise lines are on the Covered Supplier list of Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance:

 Alaskan Dream Cruises  All Discovery Cruising  AMA Waterways  American Cruise Lines  American Queen Steamboat  Azamara Cruises  Blount Small Ship Adventures  Carnival Cruise Lines  Celebrity Cruises  Crystal Cruises  Cunard Line  Disney Cruise Line  Holland America Lines  Hurtigruten  Imperial River Cruises  Innersea Discoveries  MSC Cruises  Norwegian Cruise Lines  Oceania Cruises  Paul Gauguin CruisePearl Seas Cruises  Princess Cruises  Regent Seven Seas Cruises  Royal Caribbean International  Seabourn Cruise Line  Scenic Luxury Cruises and Tours  Silversea Cruises, LTD  Star Clippers  Un-Cruise Adventures  Uniworld  Variety Cruises  Victory Cruise Lines  Viking River Cruises  Viking Ocean Cruises  Windstar Cruises

See Post #16 for a downloadable list of covered suppliers in the aviation, cruise and tour industries.

Print Wikipost

Cruise Stoppages Due to COVID-19 novel Coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
It's currently a game of chicken with Princess Cruises for our 5/27 sailing. We have until 3/30 to cancel to get back almost all of our fare, except for a $200/cabin fee, which will be applied as FCC. If CCL decides to file for Chapter 11, we probably won't get that $600 (booked three cabins) back. It's tough to determine whether if Princess cancels the cruise eventually whether we could actually claw back the $600.
What if they run the cruise? Would you be willing to get on? They could also do rolling cancellations to move some spring/summer cruises past 3/30 refund date.

I'll also point out other ships with positives which aren't getting much news attention
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2741820-confirmed-covid-celebrity-silhouette-feb-23-mar-6-southern-caribbean/?do=findComment&comment=59692522
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...fV8faBeJhQFOkI
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
Not to be uber pessimistic, but what do most think the likelihood that river cruise companies that operate in Europe will be functional by May?

Even if they were, would there be flights to cities like BUD where such cruises would originate? I have a cruise and am waiting for Viking to cancel it. I cannot imagine that Europe will be back to normal in 6 weeks (although I wish it would).
This is probably old news three days after your question given the pace of developments, but AMA canceled all river cruises through May. They are not offering refunds (!), but rather calling our May cruise "postponed" and offering a 115% Future Cruise
Credit. This deceitful manipulation in language will likely come back to haunt them. I totally get they want/need to preserve cash, but maybe offering a much larger credit or a refund would allow them to please more people. The situation changes
almost daily, so I'm going to just sit back and wait to see where the needle lands. Many are talking about using credit card suppliers to recoup payments.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
we were on a Viking ocean Bali to Bangkok, and Viking cancelled about Feb 21. Rather than roll the trip we took the refund. It just posted today. We were kinda down on Viking but in retrospect they did the right thing earlier than many, and came through with a no hassle complete refund. So back in our good graces. Plus we have a negative balance on the card, but no place to travel with it.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Updated the Wiki to show that Celebrity is now shut down through 11 May, with Alaska sailings cancelled through 30 June.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Updated the Wiki to show that Celebrity is now shut down through 11 May, with Alaska sailings cancelled through 30 June.
Thanks
I am going to be somewhat pessimistic here.

Who among us would want to get on a cruise ship while the pandemic is still flaring in various countries? Do I actually believe that the pandemic will be "under control" by May?? Or even June. The biggest issues now for countries such as China and Korea is that disease is being imported from outside the country (rather than internally generated). So even if a cruise ship was leaving from a "safe port" and a "safe country" (whatever that means ), what assurance could I or any passenger have that someone coming from an "unsafe port or country"" doesn't "import" the disease to the ship .

Are we all going to have to be tested for Cova 19 antibody existence prior to boarding?

I hate to say this but I will not feel comfortable boarding a cruise until either I am been exposed and recovered from the virus or have gotten immunized against it. I don't particularly look forward to the former and think the latter is going to take at least 6-12 months to happen.
freecia, Randyk47 and Offshore171 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by radonc1
Thanks
I am going to be somewhat pessimistic here.

Who among us would want to get on a cruise ship while the pandemic is still flaring in various countries? Do I actually believe that the pandemic will be "under control" by May?? Or even June. The biggest issues now for countries such as China and Korea is that disease is being imported from outside the country (rather than internally generated). So even if a cruise ship was leaving from a "safe port" and a "safe country" (whatever that means ), what assurance could I or any passenger have that someone coming from an "unsafe port or country"" doesn't "import" the disease to the ship .

Are we all going to have to be tested for Cova 19 antibody existence prior to boarding?

I hate to say this but I will not feel comfortable boarding a cruise until either I am been exposed and recovered from the virus or have gotten immunized against it. I don't particularly look forward to the former and think the latter is going to take at least 6-12 months to happen.
FYI, there is an existing thread about future cruise anxieties: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/crui...-pandemic.html
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:41 am

Viking extends its cruise cancellations timeline

An FYI for all
Viking has cancelled its European river cruises through the month of June (apparently also includes their ocean cruises as well). I have edited the Wiki to include this fact

They sent my wife an email offering 125% on a future cruise or refund. At this point, I am taking the current value of my "investment" rather than trying to figure out what a cruise will be worth in one or two years.

Heck, I might not even be around in one or two years

Last edited by radonc1; Mar 31, 2020 at 5:47 am Reason: Added Wike edit
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Just saw this article: The US government just banned Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean from sailing again for up to 3 months as the coronavirus throws the cruise lines into peril
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Just saw this article
U.S. is basically following Canada's lead, just about a month behind. The biggest difference is requiring a plan, which is really a good idea for any situation.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
U.S. is basically following Canada's lead, just about a month behind. The biggest difference is requiring a plan, which is really a good idea for any situation.
Thanks for posting hhoope01 and mahasamatman .

A few cruise lines like Oceania have yet to cancel cruises ( except for April / current ones ) - does anyone expect to sailing in July or June ?? Extremely irresponsible to passengers who cannot even reach embarkation ports .
Many borders still likely closed from the looks of the current situation and along with sensible projections ..

Will anyone have confidence to cruise these lines ( let alone cruise in the first place ) ?
As it it , cruising will not feature for the next few years and for others numerous in years to come ..
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Will anyone have confidence to cruise these lines ( let alone cruise in the first place ) ?
Many people will. I'm still optimistic about our October cruise.

Also note the article headline is misleading. The U.S. did not target specific cruise companies, it's just that those lines cover the vast majority of U.S. port calls, so the press wanted to sensationalize them.
CarolinaCoopers likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
As it it , cruising will not feature for the next few years and for others numerous in years to come ..
Cruising as we now know it may be the biggest victim of this pandemic. It's no a secret that the big boats are floating disease incubators and cramming thousands of people into close quarters is an open invitation to the widespread sharing of bacteria and viruses.

Dead bodies coming off cruise ships, lengthy quarantines that spread the virus among passengers and crew, armed patrol boats blocking cruise ships from entering ports, emergency medical and supply drops, etc. have left a lasting impression. The Diamond Princess, Regal Princess, Westdam and Zaandam won't be forgotten soon.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Cruising as we now know it may be the biggest victim of this pandemic. It's no a secret that the big boats are floating disease incubators and cramming thousands of people into close quarters is an open invitation to the widespread sharing of bacteria and viruses.

Dead bodies coming off cruise ships, lengthy quarantines that spread the virus among passengers and crew, armed patrol boats blocking cruise ships from entering ports, emergency medical and supply drops, etc. have left a lasting impression. The Diamond Princess, Regal Princess, Westdam and Zaandam won't be forgotten soon.
People said that same thing after the Costa Concordia disaster (and others).

We have a very short memory after the causes of disasters are "mitigated"

I do not think that a cruise ship is any different than a very large city. Lots of people in close quarters with lots of diseases, any of which we could catch.
People use to get sick on cruise ships all the time. They were simply off-loaded at the next port of call (assuming one wasn't in the middle of the ocean) and the cruise continued without them.

Covid-19 changed all that. Ships weren't allowed into port and passengers were not allowed to disembark. This is the anomaly. When the cruise industry reestablishes the right of a ship to enter ports and disembark the sick, then cruising as we knew it will return to normal.
In fact, probably safer than big cities, since cruises can keep ships cleaner than most cities and in fact are forced to. (As I remember, the last cruise I was on had staff squirting hand sanitizer on our mitts each time we went to a meal (both buffet and sit down). I don't see that happening at restaurants in large cities, at least not yet
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The Costa Concordia was a one-off event due to an individual act of negligence and really not comparable to COVID-19.

There are other ways to see the world. Unlike cruise ships I don't recall holiday resorts being cordoned off by armed guards or airlines being denied landing after they'd taken off because of the virus.

Airlines never returned to pre-9/11 status. Cruise ships won't return to pre-COVID status. No longer will the companies be able to dismiss or conceal the health risk of being crammed on to a large boat with passengers and crew.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Expectations

I do expect at least a few changes to cruising, at least for awhile. Some small lines have already announced that when the return they will implement:

1) Buffet lines will not be self-serve but crew will serve you. (This has always been a biggie with rhinovirus outbreaks).
2) Older passengers, and maybe all, will need a medical form from doctor saying it is safe to travel.
3) More frequent (like hourly) sanitizing of high touch points like stairway banisters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.