Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Old Oct 16, 22, 8:16 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
In the past 7 weeks, I have done two-weeks each on the Queen Mary 2, the Queen Elizabeth and the Regal Princess.

Not once did I see an ambulance at a port, nor were people regularly coughing on board. There were no rumors of infections on the ships or evidence of passengers quarantined as I did see in January.

Passengers were not required to wear masks on any of those cruises. Crew were required to wear them; however, Princess dropped that requirement for crew last Friday before we disembarked on Saturday.

I'll be on the Seabourn Sojourn in a few weeks.

Odd that the experience on the Ovation was seemingly so different.
There are quite a few reports in the NCL Facebook pages about pretty substantial numbers of passengers testing positive immediately following a cruise, These reports come through "roll call" groups so it's not purely anecdotal or hearsay.

I'm wondering how much of the reported staffing shortages are due to Covid. It's a can't-win situation for the cruise line; if they test for Covid, they're going to find it, including minor cases often without symptoms. If they don't test for it, they can pretend it's not a big deal publicly, but it's going to run through staff and passengers. I doubt it makes a difference in the end.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Oct 16, 22, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
That's a good itinerary - enjoy! (I'll be on Seabourn next March/April.)

Regarding Covid, who knows what next Spring will bring, but I intend to stay vigilant. Friends just disembarked from Seabourn Ovation a couple of days ago, and they both had to self quarantine for 6 days, one after another. All 4 of their friends also tested positive, and one of them was offloaded at a port onto an ambulance. My friend remarked that he saw an ambulance at practically every port, and many guests were coughing on the ship the whole time.

All the cruise lines are pretending that covid is conquered and over, having relaxed all rules and protocols on vaccinations, testing, and masking for both guests and crew. (Well, for Seabourn at least, as their crew is no longer required to wear a mask.)
Thanks for your report about your friends' experience. My wife and I are just planning our excursions and one thing that we know is that we will be masking up with N95s or KN95s when we are in close contact with others. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 16, 22, 9:11 pm

I'll be on the Seabourn Sojourn in a few weeks.

Odd that the experience on the Ovation was seemingly so different.
Not just on the Ovation, according to passengers posting on cruise critic, there have been many cases on the Sojourn and Quest as well. It's easier to tell on the smaller ships, when your favorite crew member would suddenly disappear for a few days and when you can see the tell tale signs for guests - the low stools stationed outside cabins that are under quarantine with the room service trays & dishes stacked up.
747FC likes this.
Old Oct 18, 22, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not just on the Ovation, according to passengers posting on cruise critic, there have been many cases on the Sojourn and Quest as well. It's easier to tell on the smaller ships, when your favorite crew member would suddenly disappear for a few days and when you can see the tell tale signs for guests - the low stools stationed outside cabins that are under quarantine with the room service trays & dishes stacked up.
Yes, I know how to determine if a cabin is a quarantine cabin. In January, there were quite a few.

In September/October, I saw none.

On the 4-weeks on Cunard, I was in Queen's Grill and it would have been quite evident if passengers/crew had gone into quarantine.

While it was an issue earlier in the year, it does not appear to be so any longer.
Old Oct 18, 22, 1:47 pm

Yes, I know how to determine if a cabin is a quarantine cabin.
I was in no way implying that you didn't know how to determine if a cabin is under quarantine. I was merely reporting what my friends who got off the Ovation a few days ago told me about his recent experience on that ship, as well as recent online reports from other guests on the Quest and the Sojourn.
Old Oct 18, 22, 2:44 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
I know nothing of the itineraries of the Quest, Sojourn or Ovation, but I suspect there will be greater, or fewer, issues depending upon which ports are visited as well as point of embarkation/disembarkation. I'll go further and suggest that the percentage of guests on a higher-level cruise are likely to travel in business class (greater spacing between passengers) but perhaps more importantly, even if not in business, airline elites spend far less time in airport lines, probably a major source of exposure.

I can tell you that the roll call groups on Facebook are still seeing pretty substantial numbers of their groups reporting post-cruise Covid positives (actually an uptick from a month ago). Since these are real live people reporting in after their cruises, I have no reason to doubt that it's happening. As regulations for testing increasingly relax, my guess, and this is only a guess, is that people feeling mildly sick simply aren't testing anymore. They're just hoping it's a cold. I know I was VERY surprised when I tested positive early June this year. That shut down our business for 5 days. Would I test prior to a cruise if I had a stuffy nose?
sfvoyage and ysolde like this.
Old Oct 18, 22, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
As regulations for testing increasingly relax, my guess, and this is only a guess, is that people feeling mildly sick simply aren't testing anymore. They're just hoping it's a cold. I know I was VERY surprised when I tested positive early June this year. That shut down our business for 5 days. Would I test prior to a cruise if I had a stuffy nose?
You're absolutely right. Without mandatory testing, there is no reason for people to visit the ship's clinic to see a doctor or request a test unless they have bad enough symptoms (or mild/moderate symptoms and are honest and conscientious). Chances are there will be a lot of asymptomatic passengers roaming around on the ship. They did mention that most guests were not wearing a mask and many were coughing.

My friends who were quarantined on the Ovation last week were the most careful one can be; they keep their mask on unless they are actively eating and drinking at a table and avoid crowds and tour buses. I was very surprised and dismayed that they caught it; one had more symptoms than the other. They did mention that most guests were not wearing a mask and many were coughing.
Old Oct 18, 22, 3:20 pm

You're absolutely right. Without mandatory testing, there is no reason for people to visit the ship's clinic to see a doctor or request a test unless they have bad enough symptoms (or mild/moderate symptoms and are honest and conscientious). Chances are there will be a lot of asymptomatic passengers roaming around on the ship. They did mention that most guests were not wearing a mask and many were coughing.

My friends who were quarantined on the Ovation last week were the most careful one can be; they keep their mask on unless they are actively eating and drinking at a table and avoid crowds and tour buses. I was very surprised and dismayed that they caught it; one had more symptoms than the other. They did mention that most guests were not wearing a mask and many were coughing.
I think "coughing" tends to be over-played; a lot of people cough due to either persistant post nasal drip or very dry air (common on planes and other heavily air-conditioned environments... like ships!). I think Covid has made us hyper-vigilant about things like coughing and what wouldn't have paid much attention to before, suddenly becomes "everyone's coughing left and right."
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 16, 22, 4:42 pm

I am aboard the Seabourn Sojourn at present.

Masks are not required for passengers (I have only seen two walking around with them on . . . including outdoors on deck).

For the first three days, crew was required to wear masks, but that requirement is now gone as well.

No obvious signs of infections on board.
DJ_Iceman and FlyerEC like this.
Old Nov 17, 22, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
a lot of people cough due to either persistant post nasal drip or very dry air (common on planes and other heavily air-conditioned environments... like ships!).
My cough has been lingering ever since my bout with COVID in June. What I hate is that most people do not cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Nov 17, 22, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
My cough has been lingering ever since my bout with COVID in June. What I hate is that most people do not cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.
Try this. You will never have any lingering cough again.

Amazon Amazon
Old Nov 20, 22, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
My cough has been lingering ever since my bout with COVID in June.
Me too.

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Try this. You will never have any lingering cough again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018S55NIC
Looks like snake oil to me.
Old Nov 20, 22, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Me too.

In big letters: "Supports a healthy immune system*

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease"

So... Yes. If it works, be happy with the Placebo. I still wouldn't waste 20 bucks on it.
Old Nov 20, 22, 7:42 pm

Back in the early 2000, I had a cough that won't go away for weeks after a cold. I tried all the cough medicines from CVS but they only stop it for a like 30 min top. I should have gone to see a doctor but back then I was young with no health issue and think that I don't need antibiotic and recover on my own. I went to a local small health store to see if they have anything stronger. The guy who works there just went to shelf and grab me the black elderberries bottle. I look at it and it didn't say anything about coughing. I was thinking "snake oil" too. He told me to take this for 7 days if the cough did not go away, come back and he will give me a refund. The cough went away in about 3 days. After that I was a believer.

My wife, son, mother, sister, brother, niece, great-niece, etc... all use it and no one ever cough more than a day or 2. But don't buy the cheaper blackelder berry candy... they don't really work as they are not concentrated enough. The one that I link are SUPER concentrated. They tasted like alcohol. They work for everyone I know. You can buy the same one from Whole Food or Sprout too, but they are much more expansive there. Try it or not, I am just passing on the info like I did to my family. Maybe it would help someone, if not, you are out like $30.

You don't take it everyday like vitamin. You just take it when you have a cough after a cold/flu, etc... And you stop taking it when the cough goes away.
Rare likes this.

Last edited by Need; Nov 20, 22 at 7:57 pm
Old Nov 25, 22, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
After taking some supplements like antioxidants, vitamin d, etc, I rarely get sick anymore. When I do, it is very mild. Before I took these, I was getting sick often.

Search this Thread