Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Notes about it - still looking for actual RFP ;-)
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...-princess.html
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
The WaPo article is more detailed, but still no actual RFP https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...nup-look-like/
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The RFP was announced in what seemed to be a cruise industry website, but IIRC it said that the actual RFP with legal details would be available later.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Notes about it - still looking for actual RFP ;-)
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...-princess.html
It certainly sounds like they are treating this in a serious fashion.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
One Nice Thing to Come from all this

RCL and Celebrity have announced they plan to offer free cruises to first responders on their ships that have cancelled Asian itineraries. They're still working out details.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:37 am

Anyone having any luck canceling / getting refunds for cruises departing / returning in the usa in march?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mysterym
Anyone having any luck canceling / getting refunds for cruises departing / returning in the usa in march?
So far it doesn’t appear cruise lines are offering much for passengers booked for the present Caribbean season and the upcoming Alaska season. I’m starting to see some emerging concern about trans-Atlantic cruises that end particularly in Italy. The Med season starts roughly in April and many of those cruises are based out of Italian ports so some concern starting there too.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47
So far it doesn’t appear cruise lines are offering much for passengers booked for the present Caribbean season and the upcoming Alaska season. I’m starting to see some emerging concern about trans-Atlantic cruises that end particularly in Italy. The Med season starts roughly in April and many of those cruises are based out of Italian ports so some concern starting there too.
I don't hoard miles, but use them toward a goal. The current news convinces me that this is a good time to use up all my miles and book award air travel. We may have a lower tolerance for travel than the airlines, and travel waivers may not be in effect when we decide to cancel. A mileage redeposit fee would be more palatable than dealing with change fees on paid tickets.
gretchendz and Randyk47 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I have an April cruise to Venice. Unless the cruise line cancels, I'm still going.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have an April cruise to Venice. Unless the cruise line cancels, I'm still going.
I wouldn’t have said this a week or so ago but the way things are going I think it’s very likely the decision will be taken out of your hands.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I wouldn’t have said this a week or so ago but the way things are going I think it’s very likely the decision will be taken out of your hands.
What will be the impact on cruising of a world-wide spread? Cruise ships already avoiding HK and China, perhaps Venice, and who knows how many more port cities as more cases evolve. Do cruiselines stop operating because there are not enough passengers populating their ships? What itineraries are left? Are world cruises devoid of most port stops?

I was browsing the cabin inventory for my December Antarctica cruise, and there seems to be a lot of vacancies. Will the ship still operate if only 10/20/30/40% of cabins filled? How price elastic is coronavirus fear?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Have a transatlantic on Cunard booked for June. Noticed that a lot of cabins have opened up. Still 100% committed to going. Well, maybe 98%. It's the possibilty of a quarantine that worries me, not contracting any bug. And for that reason have cancelled all travel to Asia indefinitely, even though have a home there.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) Statement on COVID-19

Here is an excerpt, with link below:

"Given the evolving nature of the ongoing COVID-19—and based upon prevailing guidance from global health authorities, including the World Health Organization (WHO)—CLIA Members have adopted the following enhanced protocols for ocean-going guests and crew who have recently traveled from or through South Korea and China, including Hong Kong and Macau. These enhanced policies, which are in effect as of 27 February 2020, build upon those which were first implemented on 31 January 2020 and continue to allow for informed decisions on a case-by-case basis whether a guest or crewmember will be permitted to board.
  • CLIA Members are to deny boarding to all persons who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in South Korea and China, including Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days before embarkation.
  • CLIA Members are to deny boarding to all persons who, within 14 days before embarkation, have had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.
  • CLIA Members are to conduct preboarding screening necessary to effectuate these prevention measures. Enhanced screening and initial medical support are to be provided, as needed, to any persons exhibiting symptoms of suspected COVID-19."

https://cruising.org/news-and-resear...virus-outbreak
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
What will be the impact on cruising of a world-wide spread? Cruise ships already avoiding HK and China, perhaps Venice, and who knows how many more port cities as more cases evolve. Do cruiselines stop operating because there are not enough passengers populating their ships? What itineraries are left? Are world cruises devoid of most port stops?

I was browsing the cabin inventory for my December Antarctica cruise, and there seems to be a lot of vacancies. Will the ship still operate if only 10/20/30/40% of cabins filled? How price elastic is coronavirus fear?
Well cruising in Asia is drying up for this season and I suspect those itineraries will be problematic next season even if we get containment. Optimistically they might have a vaccine in a year but that would be too late for a full blown Asia season. The Italian situation potentially is more problematic. A closing of Venice would certainly complicate the Med season and the worst case scenario of the virus spreading in Italy and closing Civitavecchia (Rome’s cruise port) would severely hamper the Med season. Of course if it spreads throughout Italy to that extent then that probably means Europe in general is in deep trouble. The next three to four weeks are going to be critical.

As for the cruise industry, and travel in general, I could easily see an impact that would make the post 9/11 downturn pale in comparison. Post 9/11 was almost totally an emotional response and somewhat irrational. The worst case scenario of closed countries and ports because of real health issues would be a whole different situation. I personally don’t think it will go that far but I also thought we’d have a better handle on containment by now. In the short term I think we’ll see lower fares as mass market cruise lines need butts in beds to spend money on board. If we get to long term closed countries and ports then all bets are off. No idea what that could mean. Bankrupt small lines? Mothballed ships? Cancelled new builds?
Hoyaheel and 747FC like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by 747FC
Last minute deals to Antarctica? Sounds like a plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.