Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Cruise ships were quarantined in harbours, turned away by ports, crew were stranded and a few passengers and crews died of the virus. A travel mode that herds thousands of people into a cramped space with communal eating, has tiny rooms that are often shared and narrow hallways were it is impossible to maintain social distance is a recipe for an outbreak. I've stayed at hotels since all the fuss began and would travel on an aircraft with appropriate safety precautions but there is not a chance I'd take a cruise.
A friend of ours who is a high up in the chain of travel industry consultants recently was on a conference call where poll results were offered. 37% said they would not fly until a vaccine is available. 68% said they would NEVER cruise. Ever.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by david55
A friend of ours who is a high up in the chain of travel industry consultants recently was on a conference call where poll results were offered. 37% said they would not fly until a vaccine is available. 68% said they would NEVER cruise. Ever.
If this is not a proprietary poll, can you get and post the link?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
If this is not a proprietary poll, can you get and post the link?
deleted by OP.

Last edited by david55; Jul 17, 2020 at 8:02 am
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
What percentage of people said they would NEVER cruise before coronavirus? I've got to think it was already something like 40-50%, given how many people hated the very idea of cruising for one reason or another.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
What percentage of people said they would NEVER cruise before coronavirus? I've got to think it was already something like 40-50%, given how many people hated the very idea of cruising for one reason or another.
Agree. Anytime I told somebody I was going on a cruise all I received was a negative response. Either they mentioned getting the cooties, large herd of people or simply feeling like they would be in prison and seasick. Yep, lots of negative comments way before coronavirus.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Even if 40-50 percent would never cruise the survey results means that 18-28 percent of people who have cruised or were at least open to cruising would now never cruise again under any circumstances. Of the remaining 32 percent how many of them (us?) would cruise under the conditions set by the health authorities including the distinct possibility of being quarantined in your cabin for two weeks should an outbreak occur? I know I wouldn't.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 7:54 am

Here is the poll.......I was off...it is 61% that will never cruise.

https://ilovebonaire.com/wp-content/...-19-travel.pdf
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Agree. Anytime I told somebody I was going on a cruise all I received was a negative response. Either they mentioned getting the cooties, large herd of people or simply feeling like they would be in prison and seasick. Yep, lots of negative comments way before coronavirus.
Of the 30 of so people on our team at work, only 2 of us had ever been on a cruise... before Covid-19. If I had to guess, I would say more than 50% of my coworkers will say they will probably never go on a cruise before this year. Right now, I would guess it would be closer to 80%. I am not sure myself if I will ever go back on one.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Looks like Crystal cruises have cancelled all cruises until 2021:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise...cel-into-2021/

I really have a hard time imagining cruising coming back until a proven vaccine is introduced or some miracle treatment.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
Looks like Crystal cruises have cancelled all cruises until 2021:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise...cel-into-2021/

I really have a hard time imagining cruising coming back until a proven vaccine is introduced or some miracle treatment.
We are well beyond second thoughts about when and if we’ll cruise again. Cruising has been our major vacation mode for 22 years. Yes, we’ve done resorts, Vegas, short staycations, etc., but we’ve invested way more time and money in cruising than any vacation mode. It is not easy, quick, or without thought and discussion that we’ve put cruising way way back on the back burner. Yup it’s a bit depressing and at the least disappointing but it is what it is. Optimistically we’re thinking it will be 2022 before we cruise again if ever. Understand we are no spring chickens, age is unfortunately catching up with our more adventure oriented selves. Just cruising around the Caribbean on a cruise does not interested us.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
One cruise line reopening

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/55...eferrer=Boards

These cruises are of the Mediterranean, and for Europeans only, but it is quite interesting the lengths the changes they have made, especially a quick swab test before boarding, no independent touring at ports, and contract tracing. Of course, no self-service buffets.
747FC likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by gretchendz
https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/55...eferrer=Boards

These cruises are of the Mediterranean, and for Europeans only, but it is quite interesting the lengths the changes they have made, especially a quick swab test before boarding, no independent touring at ports, and contract tracing. Of course, no self-service buffets.
I fins it interesting that we are still dealing with the concept of fomite transmission for this disease when we now know that almost all cases are transmitted by aerosols and droplets. Thus, self serve or no self serve buffets are not really going to impact the spread and transmission of this specific disease unless sick people are sneezing into them. If that is the issue, then we could say the same thing about door handles and walls as well.
You could do just as well by making people who are using the buffet line wear a mask while serving themselves which in essence is what the cruise staff is doing anyway.

A cruise line will still need daily rapid testing for the passengers and crew to ensure safety, imo.

I still do not know (nor have seen) what a cruise line is going to do when one of their passengers or crew tests positive for Covid. Will they be allowed to dock at the next port?? Will they be able to offload a sick passenger who needs hospitalization?? Will the cruise end at the time of diagnosis.???

So many questions, so few answers at this time.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by radonc1

I still do not know (nor have seen) what a cruise line is going to do when one of their passengers or crew tests positive for Covid. Will they be allowed to dock at the next port?? Will they be able to offload a sick passenger who needs hospitalization?? Will the cruise end at the time of diagnosis.???

And that is why I won't book another cruise in the near future. Sitting on a $1500 credit with Cunard and will likely just let it expire.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I

At least three cruise lines that I have read about re- starting ( including the high end Paul Gauguin) have had infections on board and returned to port.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...d-19-case.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...se/5570867002/
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by gretchendz

No sure if any of the big cruises have actually got going yet but I doubt if any will be successful given that infection rates are back on the rise.

It's going to take quarantining passengers and probably crew before each and every cruise. Tests will be of no good if there are false negatives.

FWIW, the Paul Gauguin cruise was scuttled because a pax that had a prior -ve test retested +ve. I think the same with the small cruise line in Alaska. Hurtigruten because they didn't retest crew after they had last tested in the Philippines (and did not quarantine them on arrival i Norway). Don't know details of the scuttled German cruise Only cruises that seem to have gone w/o hitch (at least lack of reports of cruises hung up on infections), and at drastically-reduced capacity, have been Ponant cruises around France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.