Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Next Cruise: Are you Having Second Thoughts Due to Fears of Pandemic?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gretchendz
I am very much hoping that testing will be in place by then that allows them to test everyone quickly.
How could they possibly test for every known disease?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
How many people in a town of 3000 will have sniffles, cough, or even a sore throat? Even in a healthy population, a certain percentage of people have one, two or all 3, because we have colds and allergies. Some may even have mild flu.

But now, they are all suspects for Covid-19. And without testing for the same, we just don't know.
Even if they have known travel on Celebrity Eclipse, some people can't get tested. Thank goodness for Australia's current approach of isolating all internationally arriving passengers in hotels for two weeks. Now an Australian has tested positive for COVID-19 because they have test capacity and she disclosed symptoms. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topi...mment-59765139

Just think about if passengers or crew would need a ventilator. Or many ventilators. Or oxygen tanks.

Oasis of the Seas also 51 confirmed positives and crew only have been onboard for two weeks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVSKNAbYvEk so some ships must have ways to test or send tests out. Who knows how long their test run lag is...

I would have boarded Celebrity Solstice today (another ship with a passenger who was COVID-19 positive & has passed away). The old adage where the worst day at sea is better than the best day at home/office? I don't think I'll be saying that for a long time.
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Did not mean that

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How could they possibly test for every known disease?

Of course, I was referring only to coronavirus.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by radonc1
This is the issue with the disease. One can be asymptomatic and still be infectious.

So the cruise line will have no idea that a passenger who appears healthy is in fact a "Covid-19 Mary" spreading virus throughout a cruise ship. And since the incubation period can be as long as 14 days, one can have 10 day cruises where no symptoms appear in the carrier yet the disease is disseminated.
Someone on the Crown Coral Princess just tested positive for COVID-19. They're currently on their way to FLL. None of the passengers had set foot on land since March 1 March 5. The last time external contact was made was when Argentinean health workers boarded the ship on March 14 (in masks and hazmat suits) to take passengers' temperatures.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Apr 6, 2020 at 10:20 am
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Someone on the Crown Princess just tested positive for COVID-19. They're currently on their way to FLL. None of the passengers had set foot on land since March 1. The last time external contact was made was when Argentinean health workers boarded the ship on March 14 (in masks and hazmat suits) to take passengers' temperatures.
Oh my. Do you have a source?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:02 pm

Someone on the Crown Princess just tested positive for COVID-19. They're currently on their way to FLL. None of the passengers had set foot on land since March 1. The last time external contact was made was when Argentinean health workers boarded the ship on March 14 (in masks and hazmat suits) to take passengers' temperatures.
I think it is Coral Princess right?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry. I meant Coral. Turns out, a handful of passengers disembarked in Buenos Aries directly onto a bus, but had to return a few hours later because they missed their flight.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Sorry. I meant Coral. Turns out, a handful of passengers disembarked in Buenos Aries directly onto a bus, but had to return a few hours later because they missed their flight.
Missing the flight home and having to return to the boat--what a nightmare.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Under-repair ship's Crew has COVID-19 Outbreak

Undergoing repairs in Nagasaki since January 29th, 48 crew members have tested positive for COVID-19. Of course, no passengers aboard.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ss/3010080001/

Anyone still ready to jump on a cruise ship when the first one sets sail with passengers? If so, do you fall into one of the high-risk categories?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:46 am

2.5 year out since cancer triple cocktail (Surgery/Radiation/Chemo) so maybe risk got Doctor to write a note that I was so one of the first to work from home a week before they shut the office. Our 25th wedding anniversary Alaska cruise is cancelled and refunded. Now I am looking for a cabin in the woods...
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 747FC
Anyone still ready to jump on a cruise ship when the first one sets sail with passengers?
When cruises start operating again, there will be so many restrictions that they could well be the safest form of transportation for those who meet the requirements.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When cruises start operating again, there will be so many restrictions that they could well be the safest form of transportation for those who meet the requirements.
Perhaps the safest, definitely the least appealing. It will be like sailing in an isolation ward. What fun!

And where will this floating ICU ward drop anchor? It was never any secret that the big boats bulging with thousands of passengers were incubators for viruses but COVID-19 has taken it to a new level. The Ruby Princess is believed to be the source of 30 per cent of Australia's COVID-19 cases and is currently the subject of a criminal investigation. Countries will be very reluctant to risk the arrival of thousands of Covid Connies until there's a proven vaccine.

The conduct of the cruise lines also bears scrutiny. Norwegian agents were down playing the virus with false claims to prevent cancellations. Holland America and Princess thought March 7th (Zaandam) and 5th (Coral Princess) respectively were good dates to embark on a month long cruises weeks after the Diamond Princess went into quarantine and as nations were beginning to impose travel restrictions. Their conduct suggests they put dollars ahead of passenger safety.

As of this moment the only cruise I would contemplate is to Antarctica because a boat is the only way to get there. Otherwise I suspect my cruising days are done.

Last edited by Badenoch; Apr 25, 2020 at 6:56 am Reason: Corrected date and added information
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Their conduct suggests they put dollars ahead of passenger safety.
Sounds like you're talking about POTUS.
KathyWdrf, gretchendz and Romelle like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 747FC
Undergoing repairs in Nagasaki since January 29th, 48 crew members have tested positive for COVID-19. Of course, no passengers aboard.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ss/3010080001/

Anyone still ready to jump on a cruise ship when the first one sets sail with passengers? If so, do you fall into one of the high-risk categories?
I'm totally ready to go, and no.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Apparently everyone is not afraid...if it's a year out at least :)

https://www.businessinsider.com/crui...navirus-2020-4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.