FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   Coronavirus: 3,700 pax & crew 14+ day quarantine @ Yokohama COVID-19 [2019-nCoV] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/2007769-coronavirus-3-700-pax-crew-14-day-quarantine-yokohama-covid-19-2019-ncov.html)

JDiver Feb 5, 2020 9:22 pm

Coronavirus: 3,700 pax & crew 14+ day quarantine @ Yokohama COVID-19 [2019-nCoV]

The Diamond Princess is quarantined in Yokohama for at least 14 days since twice ten passengers were removed and taken to hospital with Wuhan 2019 novel Coronavirus. The Captain announced at early breakfast all passengers are confined to quarters for the quarantine period. Passengers may not access their balconies, nor emerge from their cabins. According to information, passengers are being delivered “bread rolls, sandwiches and juices” to their cabin. I don’t want to imagine being trapped in a smaller inside cabin without natural light or fresh air for two weeks.

Health workers said 10 more people from the Diamond Princess were confirmed ill with the virus, in addition to 10 others who tested positive on Wednesday.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/new...ectid=12306562

NOTE: As the ship has 1,353 cabins and published capacity of 2,706 to 3,247 passengers and a crew of 1,100, its highly unlikely the number given of 3,700 pax is accurate.

“The Diamond Princess’ schedule included Ship's Japan 2020 cruise program was also based on homeports Kobe and Tokyo, with over 50 departures to 50+ destinations in 11 countries. The planned 2020 itineraries (ranging 5-28 days) included special onboard events and shore activities themed on Japan’s traditional cherry blossom celebrations and summer festivals. The program features:
  • 8-day "Japan Explorer with Kumano Fireworks" (roundtrip from Tokyo) visits Wakayama, Kumano, Kochi, Kanmon Straits, Busan, Nagasaki, Gunkanjima, Kagoshima. The voyage departs on August 15 (2020), with prices starting from GBP 1450 pp.
  • 9-day "Japan Explorer Spring Flowers" (roundtrip from Tokyo) visits Gamagori, Osaka, Kochi, Hiroshima, Busan, Sasebo. The voyage departs on April 2 (2020) with prices starting from GBP 1400 pp.
  • 14-day "Borneo and Japan" (from Singapore to Tokyo) visits Bandar Seri Begawan, Kota Kinabalu, Manila, Hong Kong, Taipei, Okinawa, Osaka, Shimizu. The voyage departs on December 30 (2020), with prices starting from GBP 1770 pp.” — CruiseMapper.com
I’m wondering how many itineraries they’ll have to cancel.

MSPeconomist Feb 5, 2020 9:33 pm

Yikes, although I wonder since the contracted cruise itinerary and duration seems to have been concluded, how much will they be charged for this forced quarantine period of being almost locked in their cabins with virtually no F&B, no services, no facilities, no entertainment, etc.? If the cruise line can charge the daily rate for a normal sailing or whatever they determine, I see a real problem.

Badenoch Feb 6, 2020 6:20 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32038222)
Passengers may not access their balconies, nor emerge from their cabins.

Not quite correct. Passengers who were smart enough to book balconies can use them but are supposed to wear masks although judging by the picture in this article not everyone does.

https://time.com/5778937/coronavirus...an-quarantine/

If passengers venture out onto the balconies leading off their cabins, they are supposed to wear masks.
The penny pinchers who took tiny inside cabins are incarcerated in circumstances that would make solitary confinement in Supermax look appealing.

pseudoswede Feb 6, 2020 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 32039322)
The penny pinchers who took tiny inside cabins are incarcerated in circumstances that would make solitary confinement in Supermax look appealing.

There is an article on Reuters about an American who got a great deal on an inside cabin for the cruise. So good, in fact, he brought along his brother...and 80-year-old grandparents. :eek:

The grandparents shared a tour bus with the person who disembarked in HK and was the first confirmed coronavirus case on the cruise.

Badenoch Feb 6, 2020 8:28 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 32039710)
There is an article on Reuters about an American who got a great deal on an inside cabin for the cruise. So good, in fact, he brought along his brother...and 80-year-old grandparents. :eek:

The grandparents shared a tour bus with the person who disembarked in HK and was the first confirmed coronavirus case on the cruise.

Four people in an inside cabin for 14 days? Supermax solitary would be better. You get out for exercise once a day and you are by yourself the rest of the time.

Global Adventurer Feb 6, 2020 9:55 am

It's at least 20 passengers that tested positive, and more waiting on test results. So, the numbers will increase some.

JDiver Feb 6, 2020 10:21 am

It appears passengers are now allowed to exit their cabins 1-1.5 hours deck by deck, as long as they wear a face mask and maintain a one meter (39”) distance from others.

mctaste Feb 6, 2020 12:37 pm

another reason i dont think i will ever go on a cruise. the rampant hershey squirts on typical cruises are bad enough...

OUTraveling Feb 6, 2020 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 32040263)
It appears passengers are now allowed to exit their cabins 1-1.5 hours deck by deck, as long as they wear a face mask and maintain a one meter (39”) distance from others.

So like they are in prison? I would venture they probably have some eagle eyed health department worker telling the to keep their distance.

Badenoch Feb 6, 2020 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by OUTraveling (Post 32040802)
So like they are in prison? I would venture they probably have some eagle eyed health department worker telling the to keep their distance.

Yes, much like prison except the prospects of being shanked on the Lido deck or gang raped in the wave pool are quite remote. Conversely, drugs and alcohol would be much harder to get on the ship compared to prison.;)

AussieExPat Feb 6, 2020 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 32040900)
...the prospects of being shanked on the Lido deck...are quite remote.

Normally, sure. Wait until they're told their 1.5 hours of freedom is up and it's back to the inside quad cabin with 12" TV for the rest of the day.

Seriously though, I really feel for those passengers. And I was seriously considering booking an inside cabin on a transatlantic cruise next month. I may wait for this to blow over...and book a balcony.

Badenoch Feb 6, 2020 6:31 pm

41 more positives among the passengers. And to pass the time the Diamond Princess internees have set up their own Twitter account.

LAXlocal Feb 6, 2020 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 32041988)
41 more positives among the passengers. And to pass the time the Diamond Princess internees have set up their own Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/quarantinedond1/...87892250001408

At least they have WiFi :) Riots will happen if the WiFi goes down !

BuildingMyBento Feb 6, 2020 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 32042025)
At least they have WiFi :) Riots will happen if the WiFi goes down !

Worse yet, if a norovirus makes an appearance

Badenoch Feb 7, 2020 8:50 am

The broader question would be the potential impact on cruising in general. In addition to the quarantines other cruise ships are being turned away from ports and if Cruise Critic is any indication many cruisers are cancelling their trips even if their itineraries are going to regions far away from the affected area. The constant flow of video and news from the Diamond Princess appears to be having repercussions far beyond Asia.