Cruise ship quarantined for suspected coronavirus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
More cruise ships quarantined for suspected coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

An Italian cruise ship with 7,000 people on board is being held off the coast after a Chinese woman fell ill with a suspected case of coronavirus.

The Costa Smeralda vessel is currently being held in port at Civitavecchia, 35 miles north of Rome, after a 54-year-old woman from Macau came down with a fever.
With 7,000 people crammed together on that boat if it's coronavirus it is quite likely someone else on board has it too.

Last edited by Badenoch; Feb 5, 2020 at 6:11 am Reason: Changed title instead of starting new thread
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are too many of these Corona virus threads...it appears now that those suspected tested negative.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Two more ships are quarantined.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/asia/...hnk/index.html
Hong Kong (CNN)More than 5,300 people are being quarantined on two cruise ships off Hong Kong and Japan amid concerns passengers and crew were inadvertently exposed to the Wuhan coronavirus by infected passengers.
The impact of coronavirus on cruising may be greater than other vacation modes as it crams thousands of people into tight spaces. Based on the demographic of most cruises there is a greater proportion of elderly who are a greater risk of the virus.

Older people are especially susceptible to the Wuhan coronavirus -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that 80% of all fatalities in mainland China were over the age of 60.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Cruising is all drinks and fun until you are quarantined. Passengers on the Diamond Princess are under 24-hour lock down in their cabins. I suspect those passengers who paid extra for balconies are glad they did. Those locked in cramped inside cabins would be regretting their decision.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-as...-a-cruise-ship
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Time to short cruise stocks?

FWIW (as of 5 Feb 2020 @1250 EST)

CCL $44.09
RCL $118.09
NCLH $55
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently

CCL 38.29 (-13.2%)
RCL 97.62 (-17.3%)
NCLH 42.62 (-22.6%)

As of close Friday they were down ~5%, 10% and 15% respectively so this is another big hit over the weekend.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
Royal Caribbean:Tried to cancel...

My sister has a cruise booked on Royal Caribbean next week. The cruise was a gift to her daughter for graduating college but now her she and her daughter are seriously afraid to go, and as a small business owner the possibility of anything keeping her away for longer than planned is a huge problem. So my sister called and asked to cancel. The customer service rep told her he wouldn’t want to go on a cruise right now either but they had been told not to refund and that they weren’t allowing people on the boat from China so it shouldn’t be a problem. If she arrives at the boat sick though she can get a refund.

I know most everyone here are seasoned travelers but they aren’t. Does anyone think Royal Caribbean should have any responsibilities to address this with truly frightened passengers at all?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not unless they bought cancel-for-any-reason insurance. Personall,y I think they love taking the money of Johnny and Jane Peepants
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by Veloce916
My sister has a cruise booked on Royal Caribbean next week. The cruise was a gift to her daughter for graduating college but now her she and her daughter are seriously afraid to go, and as a small business owner the possibility of anything keeping her away for longer than planned is a huge problem. So my sister called and asked to cancel. The customer service rep told her he wouldn’t want to go on a cruise right now either but they had been told not to refund and that they weren’t allowing people on the boat from China so it shouldn’t be a problem. If she arrives at the boat sick though she can get a refund.

I know most everyone here are seasoned travelers but they aren’t. Does anyone think Royal Caribbean should have any responsibilities to address this with truly frightened passengers at all?
heck no!!

If being ’frightened” allowed people able to cancel trips for a full refund - can you imagine what a disaster that would be for any travel company??

No way. Buy insurance or take the loss if you don’t feel safe. The rest of us are doing that. goodness
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
@RoyalCaribbean can know if a pax is via/from #COVID areas within 15d by passport stamps, but HK, KR et al. use landing slips stapled into passport on entry, removed on exit, leaving no evidence. Their loophole endangers all passengers, crew, and downstream.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
@RoyalCaribbean can know if a pax is via/from #COVID areas within 15d by passport stamps, but HK, KR et al. use landing slips stapled into passport on entry, removed on exit, leaving no evidence. Their loophole endangers all passengers, crew, and downstream.
How would you propose they check a person’s travel?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
https://www.kron4.com/health/coronav...r-coronavirus/

SANTA ROSA (KRON) – A local emergency has been declared in Sonoma County after a person has tested presumptive positive for the coronavirus, the Sonoma County Department of Health Services announced Monday.

Authorities said the patient had recently returned from a cruise ship that departed from San Francisco to Mexico. The patient, who has been in Sonoma County for 10 days, is showing symptoms of coronavirus and is currently in stable condition and under isolation at a local hospital.
Based on the article, the ship the patient was on mostly likely is Grand Princess, it dparted SF on 2/11/2020 and returned on 2/21/2020. It's currently returning from Hawaii.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
delete
Old Mar 4, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
As I suspected, it was the Grand Princess. Currently there are 21 people onboard showing symptoms. It has cut the trip short and is waiting off the coast of Northern California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ng/4950651002/
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
Tracking the Grand Princess impact:

The city of Calgary in Alberta, Canada has just now announced its first presumptive case of Covid-19: a woman who was a passenger on the Grand Princess during the same Mexican cruise as the fellow who passed away. She is expected to make a full recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.