Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

8AM disembark in Seward.... safe time to book flight from Anchorage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thinking of taking our first cruise and the ship ends in Seward. Disembark at 8AM. Knowing it takes approx. 3 hours to get from Seward to ANC ( probably Uber it), what would be a safe time to book our flight from ANC back to Seattle.

Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by david55
Thinking of taking our first cruise and the ship ends in Seward. Disembark at 8AM. Knowing it takes approx. 3 hours to get from Seward to ANC ( probably Uber it), what would be a safe time to book our flight from ANC back to Seattle.

Thanks.
Does your cruise line offer a transfer from your Seward port to ANC Airport? Depending on how many are in your party, that might be a cheaper option than Uber.

Even if you cruise line does not offer a transfer, it appears that there is bus service from Seward to ANC Airport -- at least on some days. Departs at 10:30 am; arrives at 1:30 pm. Fare is $65/person.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by david55

Thanks.
Are you confident that there will be an abundance of Uber drivers in Seward? It is a small town.

Seward is in of those ports at which that I would recommend purchasing a ship’s transfer. There can be significant traffic delays on the roadway.

Silversea, for one, brings passengers from the ship to the airport by scenic train.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by 747FC

Are you confident that there will be an abundance of Uber drivers in Seward? It is a small town.

Seward is in of those ports at which that I would recommend purchasing a ship’s transfer. There can be significant traffic delays on the roadway.

Silversea, for one, brings passengers from the ship to the airport by scenic train.
We took that train from Seward, and we had seats in an observation car (with clear ceilings most of the way up). The scenery was spectacular, and the train stopped at a few places for photos. They announced what to look for as we passed certain landmarks, etc.

I'm not sure if all of the cruiseline trains offer this option.
We stayed in Seward an extra day, and took an all day small-boat tour of some of the fjords there. Very worthwhile!

I think the times of the trains differ for the cruiseline trains and the "public" trains, but perhaps there is some cross-selling (?).

We ended up taking a later train to spend more time in Seward, and then flew out later the next day.
A lot of flights are red-eyes depending upon where one is headed, so there's a lot of "late" activity.

Gc
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:33 pm

Agree with the train. It costs more, but gorgeous!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the size of the ship, not everyone can disembark at 8 am, and there can be further delays for luggage. Depending on the itinerary, customs and immigration might slow down the process too, although since you didn't say otherwise, I'm going to assume that the cruise stayed in Alaska.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.