Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Oceania Cruise Specialty Restaurants: What time do they open for dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oceania Cruise Specialty Restaurants: What time do they open for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by david55
I ran the idea (pros/cons) of taking a cruise to my dear friend today. She knows us well.

At the end of the conversation she said " You sound a little Woody Allen-esque. You haven't given me one compelling reason to take a cruise."

Our cons far outweigh the pros.

Pros:
Never cruised before and like to try it. Cruise Curious.

Cons:
Always Independent Travelers and don't socialize except for a dozen or so friends.
Picked Alaska because it is closest to our home port Seattle meaning less travel to the ship...but we really have no desire to go to Alaska.
Prone to seasickness.
We eat breakfast and late lunch...rarely dinner.... so we would miss out on one of the best meals of the day and all the specialty restaurants which open too late for us.
While we travel in an upscale(ish) manner... shelling out this kind of money is way more than we have ever spent for a 10 day vacation.
I haven't been on a bus in years.
I like being first in line.... although on Regent or Oceania I don't think that will be a problem.
I think maybe your friend is right. Without discussing each of your concerns in detail I’m concerned you wouldn’t have a good time. There are a few of your concerns that I might comment on:

1. No one is really going to force you to socialize with other passengers. You can be very interactive or just stay to yourself, your choice.

2. No sure I’d recommend a first cruise, and for that matter any cruise, to a destination you have little interest in seeing. Certainly you don’t go on vacation to a destination you’re not interested in now so why do it for a cruise just to see if you like cruising. Sounds a bit like planned failure that might unfairly reflect on the cruise experience itself.

3. Only you can judge your seasickness. If you get seasick on a typical Puget Sound ferry or motion sick in a car or airplane then indeed you might be too sensitive. I don’t get seasick and modern ships being what they are I rarely feel any motion. There are remedies that are readily available but again your experience is what matters.

4. Short of changing your eating and bed times there’s not much that can be done about the restaurant times. You could skip dinner by eating breakfast and a late lunch but you do miss out on one if the main attractions of cruising.

5. Not sure how you travel upscale(ish) but the cruise is way more expensive. I’ve gone through the whole cost analysis of all-inclusive resorts or nicer 4-star hotels then paying our own way for dinners and cruising virtually is always less expensive. Oceania and Regent are darn close, though granted not quite, Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton level and the food is included. Certainly if you were looking at one of really big suites on either Oceania or Regent then indeed you can get into the almost outrageous range. We’ve pretty well settled on an upper level verandah suite and since we’re out of the room most the time except for sleeping.

6. Not sure about the bus comment. We’ve been on a number of cruises and never ridden a bus. Ship land tours often use buses and we have taken some of those but prefer either private or sometimes self guided tours.

7. Lines? I’d agree if you were on one of the 5,000 to 6,000 passenger ships but not on Oceania or Regent.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:01 pm

Described DH & me to a "T"

We have always been independent travelers. But as we age I am intrigued by the convenience of a cruise.

But I think you are right about perhaps not being a good match.

Besides eating early, we tend to be somewhat loners, I get sea sick, I like BIG hotel rooms that I can't afford, and we are usually in bed by 8, up at 5.

I could have written that description of husband and myself. He's up earlier than me, 4:30 4:45. I'm up around 5. We're kind of loners. We like each others company, and not to social. But we're not antisocial, if that makes sense. I'm the President of our ladies golf league and on committees of couple charity tournaments, so I must kinda be ok with people?? We have cruised Oceania 3 times. It really suits us. We also thought we would have trouble waiting til 6:30 for dinner ( considering I usually grill some chicken and have a salad for dinner around 4:30). DH still works, so he has the same when he gets home. We are 56 and 57 and he's in bed by 8:30. I shortly follow.

As for dinner,we found we had a little snack just to hold us over. It was fine. We didn't tend to overeat, so digestion wasn't really a problem. We loved the peace and quiet of O. And we didn't find the cabins too small. Daughter and I sailed inside on Azamara, and even that was fine. Not that I would make it my first choice, but its what I could afford.

Also, I get seasick, and starting on my first cruise in 1996 on Celebrity, I start taking Bonine ( not dramamine) 1/2 tab chewy couple times a day few days before cruise. Works fine. I do this at DisneyWorld so I can ride RocknRoll Roller coaster. Keep taking through trip. Never makes me drowsy.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162
I could have written that description of husband and myself. He's up earlier than me, 4:30 4:45. I'm up around 5. We're kind of loners. We like each others company, and not to social. But we're not antisocial, if that makes sense. I'm the President of our ladies golf league and on committees of couple charity tournaments, so I must kinda be ok with people?? We have cruised Oceania 3 times. It really suits us. We also thought we would have trouble waiting til 6:30 for dinner ( considering I usually grill some chicken and have a salad for dinner around 4:30). DH still works, so he has the same when he gets home. We are 56 and 57 and he's in bed by 8:30. I shortly follow.

As for dinner,we found we had a little snack just to hold us over. It was fine. We didn't tend to overeat, so digestion wasn't really a problem. We loved the peace and quiet of O. And we didn't find the cabins too small. Daughter and I sailed inside on Azamara, and even that was fine. Not that I would make it my first choice, but its what I could afford.

Also, I get seasick, and starting on my first cruise in 1996 on Celebrity, I start taking Bonine ( not dramamine) 1/2 tab chewy couple times a day few days before cruise. Works fine. I do this at DisneyWorld so I can ride RocknRoll Roller coaster. Keep taking through trip. Never makes me drowsy.

Just my 2 cents.
That’s a very good “2 cents” worth! My other thought for David55 is he/she might be over thinking their decision.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 30, 2019 at 3:08 pm
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

There is another con I forgot to add..... my husband says " NO ".

But I figure I have a year to convince him if I was so motivated.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:56 pm

Well that certainly is a problem that needs to be addressed. 😳😀 My wife is more like “Can we go tomorrow?” when I mention a cruise. 👍😀 We have an 11-day booked for next January when she has a break in her graduate studies and she wishes it was sooner, much sooner.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
ROFL

ROFL...maybe you should consider a ferry to Seattle and back

Either way, you started an interesting thread, so there's that
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:46 am

I understand...

My DH said NO at first, but I found itineraries with Zero sea days, and he finally agreed. He just can't sit around. Our best cruises are European ones where we can walk 6-8 miles a day in a city. Lisbon, Barcelona. He also has finally agreed boarding a ship and unpacking once is really, really nice. Getting up early, getting coffee and sitting outside while sailing into a harbor is pretty special.

Also, we are cruisers with champagne taste on a beer budget. I am very price sensitive. If I do a land trip ( we did London for a week) last year, we rented an 3BR apartment near Hyde Park for the 5 of us. DH and 3 grown children, with air ( some miles some $$) for 10K.

Another example. We are doing South America this fall. Our ship docks outside Santiago Chile. I can hire a car for 181.00 one way. Or I can take a perfectly acceptable bus for $7.00. I chose the bus. We take public transport in every port. I've hired a driver ONE time ever. Marseilles. To take us to Casis.

I think you will be able to convince your significant other. You just have to find the right fit, ship and itinerary...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Another "DH said NO WAY EVER" at first, for years!
I had cruised previously, and loved it.
I went on one cruise without him, and did not enjoy it at all, even though there was a general group I knew (but no close friends).

I finally got him to "try it once" ["Haven't you always totally enjoyed *ever* vacation I've arranged for us?" A= "Yes!"] with a 7 day cruise.
By day 2, he was hooked.

We booked a longer cruise almost as soon as we were on land again.

But I "knew my customer", so to speak. Otherwise, it might not have worked.

GC
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:47 pm

This probably at least semi qualifies as thread drift though the OP is talking about getting to go on their first cruise so I’ll just go with it. For our honeymoon my bride to be said “plan something and surprise me”. Good by me. So I worked with my TA and we came up with a 10-day Caribbean cruise. Turned out the ship that was doing that itinerary was the same one I’d been on three years earlier with my ex. No problem for me and I made sure we were in the same category cabin but a different cabin. Gave her the packing requirements, checked her passport, etc., etc. I didn’t spill the beans until a few weeks before our wedding and she was excited as she’d never been to the Caribbean much less on a cruise. Wedding comes off beautifully and a couple days later we fly to Fort Lauderdale and board the ship. Later that evening we’re ready for dinner but have time for a pre-dinner cocktail so I take her to my favorite lounge on the ship. Now I’m figuring all this time it’s been three years and a couple of months since I was on the ship with the ex and and staff change pretty frequently in a year and certainly over three years. So we walk into the lounge and pick a comfortable couch with a view of the sun setting on the ocean. So here comes Ronald, my server from three years earlier, and he blurts out with a bit of glee “Doctor Randy! So good to see you again and....and...and not same wife.......”. My wife of two days burst into laughter and 21 years later it is one of her favorite memories and stories. And Ronald waited on us every night with equal glee and humor. Near the end of the cruise I was sitting in the lounge waiting for my wife to join me and Ronald came over and said “I like this one better.” My response “Me too.” And by the way Ronald remembered my martini and how I liked it. We cruised with him one more time a couple of years later and he never forgot.
gretchendz, Hoyaheel and 747FC like this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 30, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Randyk47
This probably at least semi qualifies as thread drift though the OP is talking about getting to go on their first cruise so I’ll just go with it. For our honeymoon my bride to be said “plan something and surprise me”. Good by me. So I worked with my TA and we came up with a 10-day Caribbean cruise. Turned out the ship that was doing that itinerary was the same one I’d been on three years earlier with my ex. No problem for me and I made sure we were in the same category cabin but a different cabin. Gave her the packing requirements, checked her passport, etc., etc. I didn’t spill the beans until a few weeks before our wedding and she was excited as she’d never been to the Caribbean much less on a cruise. Wedding comes off beautifully and a couple days later we fly to Fort Lauderdale and board the ship. Later that evening we’re ready for dinner but have time for a pre-dinner cocktail so I take her to my favorite lounge on the ship. Now I’m figuring all this time it’s been three years and a couple of months since I was on the ship with the ex and and staff change pretty frequently in a year and certainly over three years. So we walk into the lounge and pick a comfortable couch with a view of the sun setting on the ocean. So here comes Ronald, my server from three years earlier, and he blurts out with a bit of glee “Doctor Randy! So good to see you again and....and...and not same wife.......”. My wife of two days burst into laughter and 21 years later it is one of her favorite memories and stories. And Ronald waited on us every night with equal glee and humor. Near the end of the cruise I was sitting in the lounge waiting for my wife to join me and Ronald came over and said “I like this one better.” My response “Me too.” And by the way Ronald remembered my martini and how I liked it. We cruised with him one more time a couple of years later and he never forgot.
What an amazing story, in several ways!

Thanks. I'm glad you did post it!

GC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.