Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Viking River Cruise ship collides with tour boat on Danube

7 dead, 21 missing so far.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/30/72822...t-least-7-dead

Not a good year for Viking.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Wow. Thanks for posting. Yet another reason for me to avoid this line.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'd heard the tour boat cut right in front of the Viking ship in front of a bridge- Viking couldn't really maneuver in that situation. And in terrible weather. Horrible outcome.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I'd heard the tour boat cut right in front of the Viking ship in front of a bridge- Viking couldn't really maneuver in that situation. And in terrible weather. Horrible outcome.
Watching the video attached to the story I can’t see where the Viking captain could have done much to avoid the collision. Granted it’s hard to tell but it looks like the smaller tour boat tried to beat the bigger Viking boat under the bridge and cut the Viking captain off. Never have had much interest in river cruising and this doesn’t make it any more attractive.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Originally Posted by Randyk47

Watching the video attached to the story I can’t see where the Viking captain could have done much to avoid the collision. Granted it’s hard to tell but it looks like the smaller tour boat tried to beat the bigger Viking boat under the bridge and cut the Viking captain off. Never have had much interest in river cruising and this doesn’t make it any more attractive.
I'm seeing something different than the both of you. As I interpret the video, the smaller ship is always forward and to the right of the Viking ship. The Viking ends up making a hard right and crashing into the smaller ship. I'm no nautical expert, but it appears that the smaller ship had the right-of-way.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm seeing something different than the both of you. As I interpret the video, the smaller ship is always forward and to the right of the Viking ship. The Viking ends up making a hard right and crashing into the smaller ship. I'm no nautical expert, but it appears that the smaller ship had the right-of-way.
Not a great or clear video so hard to tell. That said the smaller boat captain has to be aware of the danger. I grew up on Puget Sound and had everything from a 9’ sailing pram to a 65’ dual engine cruiser. Puget Sound is full of big ships and around the ports like Seattle and Tacoma you have to have your head on a swivel. Yes there is right away but I could get out of the way of a cargo ship a lot easier than he could get out of my way. You can get very dead being right.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Not a great or clear video so hard to tell. That said the smaller boat captain has to be aware of the danger. I grew up on Puget Sound and had everything from a 9’ sailing pram to a 65’ dual engine cruiser. Puget Sound is full of big ships and around the ports like Seattle and Tacoma you have to have your head on a swivel. Yes there is right away but I could get out of the way of a cargo ship a lot easier than he could get out of my way. You can get very dead being right.
You may be correct. Further reporting says the smaller ship turned into the path of the Viking:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.