Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Eclipse Vancouver-Time to airport

Old Apr 17, 19, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Along the same lines of the post regarding Seattle, I have booked my adult children on a 12:25 flight departing Vancouver after our ship is scheduled to arrive at 7:00 am at the port of Vancouver. Is this enough time? I can change it if I need to (I booked with miles) but any later flights turn into Red Eyes. This flight would get them home by 8pm with a more direct routing. We arrive on a Sunday.
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:46 pm

It should be enough time with various steps along the way to provide buffer. Rule of thumb is you'd like to get to the airport about 2 hours ahead of a transborder flight to give you enough time to check in and clear security; 10:30am target to be at the airport.

They should be able to grab an early disembarkation time or do self disembarkation time to get them off by 8am I'm guessing.

Getting to the airport, it is going to be a half hour by taxi or Skytrain. Traffic is not an issue on a Sunday mornings but Vancouver is notorious for lacking enough taxis on heavy cruise ship days, though they are trying to beef up numbers. No official ride sharing yet. Even if it's an hour wait to get a taxi, they'll get to the airport by about 9:30am. Alternatively, it's very fairly easy walk to access the Skytrain station. Might be a bit more difficult if they have a LOT of luggage due to escalators. .
Old Apr 18, 19, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your excellent advise.
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:13 pm

If they are able, I'd also advise the Skytrain especially if it is a cruise heavy day.
You will have security both at the ship and the airport. At YVR they will have both Canadian security and US which can both take a while but also allows their arrival at their US first/only airport akin to a domestic flight.
On the safe side I'd allow more than 2 hours. Some of the US airlines are a hike from the terminal/security.
Hope everyone has a wonderful cruise. Alaska is beautiful. Hope you have some time in Vancouver too. It's a special city.