The "Big Birthday" Trip Plan..! (QM2)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
The "Big Birthday" Trip Plan..! (QM2)

Hello All in the Cruise forum world!

So, the time to start planning has arrived... As my 39th birthday is a couple of weeks away, my attention is more drawn to what will happen next year.

I am a big fan of Cunard, and more so QM2 and a TA. I have done several TAs as well as a couple of short trips on her, all be it not been onboard for a few years, since before the re-fit a couple of years ago.

I vowed that, given my life is travel, and has been for the last almost 13 years, I was NOT going to set foot anywhere near an aircraft for my birthday trip. And thus far, the plan has not involved one!

My plan is to embark in Southampton, after driving to the port and staying overnight the evening before, sail to New York, pop into Manhattan for brunch whilst they are turning the ship around for the return, purchase a little happy in a nice store, then re-embark and sail back home. 2 glorious weeks on the high seas, no work, phone and computer in the safe unless there is a dire work emergency (which I don't plan on finding out about as said phone will be off), a few good books, good company, good food, dressing for dinner and generally just having a blinking good time...! Hopefully meet some new friends at the FoD gatherings and around the ship.

Currently in the throws of weighing up booking timing, who to book with and where...

Sorry to blab on...

Any other QM2 and TA fans here?

BBB
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Sounds like a great cruise. While we haven’t been big sea day fans our last cruise had six sea days in a row and we actually enjoyed it. Of course that came after basically eight high energy and demanding days so that had some impact. Haven’t tried Cunard but it’s also not on the no interest list like several other large ship lines.
BingBongBoy likes this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Apr 15, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Love it

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Hello All in the Cruise forum world!

So, the time to start planning has arrived... As my 39th birthday is a couple of weeks away, my attention is more drawn to what will happen next year.

I am a big fan of Cunard, and more so QM2 and a TA. I have done several TAs as well as a couple of short trips on her, all be it not been onboard for a few years, since before the re-fit a couple of years ago.

I vowed that, given my life is travel, and has been for the last almost 13 years, I was NOT going to set foot anywhere near an aircraft for my birthday trip. And thus far, the plan has not involved one!

My plan is to embark in Southampton, after driving to the port and staying overnight the evening before, sail to New York, pop into Manhattan for brunch whilst they are turning the ship around for the return, purchase a little happy in a nice store, then re-embark and sail back home. 2 glorious weeks on the high seas, no work, phone and computer in the safe unless there is a dire work emergency (which I don't plan on finding out about as said phone will be off), a few good books, good company, good food, dressing for dinner and generally just having a blinking good time...! Hopefully meet some new friends at the FoD gatherings and around the ship.

Currently in the throws of weighing up booking timing, who to book with and where...

Sorry to blab on...

Any other QM2 and TA fans here?

BBB
Sounds marvelous...hubby and I are taking our first QM2 TA the end of May. Very excited.
Love it
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've not been lucky enough to sail QM2 but I absolutely love transatlantic sailings with all those wonderfully, relaxing sea days.
BingBongBoy and 8dimsum like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Sounds like a great cruise. While we haven’t been big sea day fans our last cruise had six sea days in a row and we actually enjoyed it. Of course that cam after basically eight high energy and demanding days so that had some impact. Haven’t tried Cunard but it’s also not on the no interest list like several other large ship lines.
I adore sea days... I think because life at work is so hectic, and I am fortunate enough to go to many places for work, I am not that interested in seeing places... The idea of getting on and off ship every day fills me with dread Unless there is somewhere I really want to go...

QM2 is such a large ship, with a relatively low passenger number for the space, to me at least, it is never crowded or massive crowds all the time, plenty of quiet spaces to relax and enjoy a beverage during the day, afternoon tea in the ballroom and the likes whilst watching the North Atlantic rushing by at 26 knots... Bliss!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Sounds marvelous...hubby and I are taking our first QM2 TA the end of May. Very excited.
Love it
Oh I am a tad jealous...! I would love to make it onboard before next year... But alas, no time.

You will have a wonderful time onboard... I don't know if you are big cruisers or not, but a TA is very different, in a good way... Make sure you study the daily program the night before, as there is so much to do... Yes, not to everyones taste, but there is something for everyone!

Have a super amazing time!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
I've not been lucky enough to sail QM2 but I absolutely love transatlantic sailings with all those wonderfully, relaxing sea days.
That is the main thing for me. Relaxing sea days. No getting on and off ship, or having to be somewhere at a certain time, unless I chose to do it.

Room service breakfast every day, afternoon tea in the ballroom and then dinner in the Britannia Restaurant... A few lectures and shows and strolls around the deck... Perfect.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I adore sea days... I think because life at work is so hectic, and I am fortunate enough to go to many places for work, I am not that interested in seeing places... The idea of getting on and off ship every day fills me with dread Unless there is somewhere I really want to go...

QM2 is such a large ship, with a relatively low passenger number for the space, to me at least, it is never crowded or massive crowds all the time, plenty of quiet spaces to relax and enjoy a beverage during the day, afternoon tea in the ballroom and the likes whilst watching the North Atlantic rushing by at 26 knots... Bliss!
That’s the nice thing about cruising, something for most every body. We’re basically destination cruisers and love finding new places to visit so use a ship as a floating hotel. That said we’re getting to the age where the desire and unfortunately the ability to be as active is starting to diminish. As recent as two to three years ago we had no interest in a trans-Atlantic but it’s starting to creep up the bucket list. The big ships still not so much though but maybe.
gretchendz and BingBongBoy like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randyk47

That’s the nice thing about cruising, something for most every body. We’re basically destination cruisers and love finding new places to visit so use a ship as a floating hotel. That said we’re getting to the age where the desire and unfortunately the ability to be as active is starting to diminish. As recent as two to three years ago we had no interest in a trans-Atlantic but it’s starting to creep up the bucket list. The big ships still not so much though but maybe.
Its funny, but my father and his partner were not really cruise people, till about 10 years ago, when they booked one last minute and instantly loved it. Moment they were back on shore, the very day they got home, they were back at the travel agent booking another cruise. They are, and becoming were, very much the same as you with destinations and exploring new places. But, for similar reasons, they enjoy a more sea day heavy itinerary now and look for that when booking. Still enjoy a few ports, but not a new one every day. They still have not gone on a TA yet, but I think it is also starting to appeal.

I think the thing with QM2, and many people I know who go on her say similar, is that for the size of her (and yes, of course, she is a bloody big ship!) with a passenger capacity of just over 2600, and a crew of about 1200, she does not feel like such a big ship. Other lines with a ship that big would probably squeeze in a hell of a lot more passengers, probably over the 4000 mark, but with 2600, there is never really a crowd, always plenty of quiet spots, nice open decks, massive spa area and really beautifully done interior. So, maybe one day, tick it off that bucket list
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I always wanted to do one of those offers for a TATL RT using the Concorde in one direction and QE2 the other way, but somehow the available dates never worked for me.
Hoyaheel and BingBongBoy like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I always wanted to do one of those offers for a TATL RT using the Concorde in one direction and QE2 the other way, but somehow the available dates never worked for me.
My husband reminds me often how we thought about doing it and did not...and now it is much too late
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:48 am

I was working and living in Northern Virginia about nine miles from Dulles International when the Concorde was still flying. I can remember being outside a number and first hearing then seeing the Concorde either landing or taking off. What a sight! Just once I happened to be flying out of Dulles and we were the plane behind the Concorde. The pilot held our plane a little further back from the runway and turned the plane slightly sideways so we could get a better view of her takeoff. Wow! Never crossed my mind to cruise one way and then fly the Concorde the other. Kind of above my pay grade at the time.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I think the only way I'm going to get my husband to Australia will be on a cruise ship. It might have to be a World Voyage to get there and back - we'll see ;-) It's one thing we're looking forward to about retiring (or, inching towards not full ever retiring, if my in-laws are any example....)

I think this birthday trip sounds wonderful!! What sounds especially lovely is how much YOU are looking forward to it!!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Whilst I never got to see the offers for the QE2 and Concorde, a few years before Concorde was taken out of service, they used to offer deals to BA staff, where you could fly one way on Concorde, then back on a 747 in Business, for something like Ł600 or something, at low season when there were tons of seats available, and at the time, a friend tried to get me to go with him... and I said no... I could not afford it at the time. Oh how I regret it...

But, sailing is now my happy place... I never got to do QE2, but QM2 certainly holds a special place in my heart...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I think the only way I'm going to get my husband to Australia will be on a cruise ship. It might have to be a World Voyage to get there and back - we'll see ;-) It's one thing we're looking forward to about retiring (or, inching towards not full ever retiring, if my in-laws are any example....)

I think this birthday trip sounds wonderful!! What sounds especially lovely is how much YOU are looking forward to it!!
Its not a crazy idea...! A very good friend of mine did the same for his parents. They have a child who lives in NZ, and one of his parents has severe back problems, so flying to NZ, even in Business Class, is just an awful ordeal... But, they used, I think it was Queen Elizabeth, or might have been Victoria, I can't remember which, to get to NZ. Yes, it was more expensive that flying, but they got a wonderful trip out of it, got to see some lovely places on the way, went through the Panama Canal and saw the West Coast of the US too, before they headed over the Pacific to NZ and arrived in fine fettle!

And thank you, I really am looking forward to it so so much. I always like to have something to look forward to, and this is a biggy, which will keep me going for the next year!
Hoyaheel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.