Cruise with two adults and two children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)

First time on cruise. Parents & two children (10 & 8) for 8 day Mediterranean cruise.

The cruise webpage says "Balcony staterooms approximately from 183 to 420 sq. ft"

Do you think it is too small for us?

Thanks,
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I think it depends on the bedding options. I’ve done a 7 day cruise with 2 adults and a kid. Room was 200-220sf, I think. Worked fine for us. An extra kid wouldn’t have made much difference.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by poohhead80
First time on cruise. Parents & two children (10 & 8) for 8 day Mediterranean cruise.

The cruise webpage says "Balcony staterooms approximately from 183 to 420 sq. ft"

Do you think it is too small for us?

Thanks,
That’s quite a range with the 183 SF being one of the smaller verandah cabins to 420 SF being one of the larger. Personally I can’t imagine four people, even if two are children, in 183 SF but 420 SF should be quite doable. There’s a chance, and it differs from cruise line to cruise line and ship to ship, that you may not be able to book some of the smaller verandah cabins for four occupants. Takes some studying of the cabin descriptions and the footnotes on the deck plans as some cabins are limited to no more than two or three occupants including children.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Also, find out how much of that square footage is the balcony - it's not really going to help to have a lot of space out there when you're all trying to get ready for dinner. Most cruiseline websites report one single number including cabin AND balcony but some split it out and sometimes cabin reviews can help you figure it out as well.

And, no way would I spend 8 days with 2 adults and 2 kids in 183 sq ft if 40 sq ft is balcony....Not sure I'd want to do it in 183 sf either, but that's me - I like to have my own toilet ;-) Although note, many ships have fitness center bathrooms where you can use showers as well....
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems like msc including magnifica
suite 50% more but can be smaller...

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 12, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Most likely a double bed and a sofa that converts into a bunk bed. We typically only use the cabin to sleep, shower, and change clothes (and maybe read a book for a while on the balcony on an at-sea day), so the size of the cabin isn't that important.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Most likely a double bed and a sofa that converts into a bunk bed. We typically only use the cabin to sleep, shower, and change clothes (and maybe read a book for a while on the balcony on an at-sea day), so the size of the cabin isn't that important.
That, or pull or fold down beds. All depends on the line and the ship. Some cruise lines/ships have family cabins.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
seems like msc including magnifica
How did you know this !!
You guys know everything !!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by poohhead80
How did you know this !!
You guys know everything !!
Kind of shows there is a collective knowledge here built on probably hundreds and hundreds of cruising days and all the research and planning that went into booking all those cruises. While we don’t all cruise the same lines the basics are pretty much the same in terms of looking at destinations, itineraries, cabins, etc., etc.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Do you actually have your stateroom number yet? www.cruisecritic.com sometimes has reviews of even specific staterooms by number.

Within a general category like "Balcony", the cruise ships have more specific categories like Balcony-A, Balcony-B,... Balcony-ZZ ranging from higher price to lower price. If you know the specific category within which your balcony will be, you might be able to get a better idea of the square footage.

As to how well you'll manage, no matter the size of the stateroom, I think the major factor is how well your family deals with such things.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Go for a balcony room for the adults and a cheaper inside across the hall for the kids. Overall cost will likely be similar to the 420 sq ft balcony and you'll get two bathrooms and some privacy
gretchendz and NYC Flyer like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Go for a balcony room for the adults and a cheaper inside across the hall for the kids. Overall cost will likely be similar to the 420 sq ft balcony and you'll get two bathrooms and some privacy
You would register with one adult in each cabin when on the ship go to the purser, err I mean customer service and get extra keycards without charging privileges.
Most cruise lines require an adult to be registered in each cabin, when actually on the ship sleeping arrangements are not enforced.
Though I did get strange looks from the cabin steward when I asked him to put the beds together with just myself and my nephew registered in the cabin.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Not sure I personally would leave an 8 & 10 yr old alone in a room, but that's going to be family/kid specific. Even across the hall.....If they were a couple years older, absolutely!

As for identifying MSC? Literally put this into google and MSC are the first results that come up ;-) "Balcony staterooms approximately from 183 to 420 sq. ft"
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed OP gave direct quote

even without direct quote, i doubt any other cabin ranges from 183 to 420, kind of insane
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
indeed OP gave direct quote

even without direct quote, i doubt any other cabin ranges from 183 to 420, kind of insane
How is that insane? That spread is probably spread over several categories with subcategories. Holland America verandah cabins start around 190SF and go up to around 600SF and that’s not counting the penthouse suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.