Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise with two adults and two children

Cruise with two adults and two children

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i looked at subcategories, they all seemed to vary, but i have not spent a lot of time looking at small cabins on deckplans

seem to recall other cruiselines listing the subcategories with sizes etc while MSC seemed not to
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I'd guess OP bought, or is planning to buy, one of those "we pick the cabin, so give you a good price" deals?

So therefore doesn't know the specific cabin # yet.

A safe bet it is on the low end of that range, and if the family gets even one square foot extra they should be VERY happy. Already happy for getting to do a cruise.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by poohhead80
First time on cruise. Parents & two children (10 & 8) for 8 day Mediterranean cruise.

The cruise webpage says "Balcony staterooms approximately from 183 to 420 sq. ft"

Do you think it is too small for us?

Thanks,
This really depends on what kind of experience you want. When I was young, my parents took us at lease once a year (usually Royal Caribbean), and until I was about 16 and my sister was 13, we would share one cabin--at that time (older ships), the standard cabins were actually smaller than they are now. As I got older, cruising became more affordable, and we started getting two cabins.

If you all have a good sense of humor about sharing the space, jockeying for closet access, bathroom time, etc, you can enjoy it, but there will be moments of frustration. We were once on a very small ship, the Veracruz, and had a cabin that must have been 80 square feet. It had one sofa that converted to a bed and three pullman style (folded out from walls--one lower, two upper) berths. The fold-down berths blocked the closet. My sister purchased a huge pińata dog in Cozumel, and when our steward saw us coming back to the cabin with it, he joked that the dog would need to sleep with him.

My sister routinely cruises now with her 11 and 8 year olds and always puts them next door/across the hall if connecting cabins are not available.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Romelle
I'd guess OP bought, or is planning to buy, one of those "we pick the cabin, so give you a good price" deals?

So therefore doesn't know the specific cabin # yet.

A safe bet it is on the low end of that range, and if the family gets even one square foot extra they should be VERY happy. Already happy for getting to do a cruise.
I hope they didn't go the guaranteed cabin route, at least not for what appears to be their first cruise. There are just too many variables with guarantees that could lead to a massive disappointment. I know there are a lot of seasoned cruisers who booked guarantees and they understand it's kind of a "cabin lotto" game that can work out and then again not but they know what they're getting into and are willing to take their chances. I personally don't like and don't book guarantees because we know where we want to be on the ship down to specific cabin numbers. Helps that the line we cruise with now only rarely does guarantees though that might change as they've been acquired by a larger mass stream cruise corporation.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I hope they didn't go the guaranteed cabin route, at least not for what appears to be their first cruise. There are just too many variables with guarantees that could lead to a massive disappointment. I know there are a lot of seasoned cruisers who booked guarantees and they understand it's kind of a "cabin lotto" game that can work out and then again not but they know what they're getting into and are willing to take their chances. I personally don't like and don't book guarantees because we know where we want to be on the ship down to specific cabin numbers. Helps that the line we cruise with now only rarely does guarantees though that might change as they've been acquired by a larger mass stream cruise corporation.
I think you have to actually try different types of cabins before you know what works better for you. I've learned specific airline seats that way (particularly for very long flights), but it was definitely trial and error.

Along those same lines, I've tried quite a few cruise lines and am learning which ones are more to my taste.

"Cabin lotto" or guaranteed cabin can be a less expensive way to experiment.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:57 am

"Cabin lotto" or guaranteed cabin can be a less expensive way to experiment.
Kind of maybe. I can’t speak for all lines but Holland America doesn’t discount guarantees per se. For example you can book the lowest level verandah cabin category at the going rate for that specific category. The “lotto” part is that the passenger is then hoping HAL assigns them to a higher/better category at no additional cost. If that works then you have “saved” money. The biggest risk for me personally is that even if assigned to a higher level cabin it may be in an undesirable location like way forward or right under the pool deck. Not a risk we’re willing to take. It also works that we typically book the higher suites and there really aren’t very many cabins above our booked level.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47

Kind of maybe. I can’t speak for all lines but Holland America doesn’t discount guarantees per se. For example you can book the lowest level verandah cabin category at the going rate for that specific category. The “lotto” part is that the passenger is then hoping HAL assigns them to a higher/better category at no additional cost. If that works then you have “saved” money. The biggest risk for me personally is that even if assigned to a higher level cabin it may be in an undesirable location like way forward or right under the pool deck. Not a risk we’re willing to take. It also works that we typically book the higher suites and there really aren’t very many cabins above our booked level.
My favorite example of trying something before you decide whether or not you like it:

Many years ago - pre-status last-minute, I ended up with the dreaded middle-seat back-of-plane for a return from Europe. Winced when I saw my seat full of bags, and my two new best friends - window and aisle - were seriously over-weight large people overflowing into my seat space. As they were moving the bags, they remarked "we were hoping nobody would show up". Winced again.

However ... after the meal I tilted back, hoping for at least a little sleep. It was like being between two big fluffy warm pillows. Probably the best sleep I've ever had in the back of a plane. And when I woke, we chatted a bit and I discovered they were genuinely nice pleasant interesting people. A plumber and his wife.

The airlines haven't gotten around to letting me hunt for a seat between two such people, but it really was an enlightening encounter. I'd have never picked that seat.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Do you have cabin number?

How did you know this !!
You guys know everything !!
To OP:
If you have a travel agent and a cabin number, they should be able to get you the exact size and layout of the cabin. As others have noted, there can be a wide variability. Also, cabin size may vary even within the same price category so if yours is not good, see if a cabin is available for same price that is larger or a better layout. We cruised with our two kids is cabins like this with no problems as you spend much time out of the cabin--but it depends on your family's.

If you bought a "guaranteed" and don't know the actual cabin number, you may want to look at deck plans in your cabin category. It may be worth a few more dollars to reserve the largest cabin possible in your range.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Thank you for the input.
We are contemplating two interior cabins vs. one balcony cabin with sofa bed.
My wife is more incline to one balcony cabin and spend the money somewhere else. Of course she will make the final decision.
I did dummy booking and it looks like i will get the room number.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:52 am

Thank you for the input.
My wife is more incline to one balcony cabin and spend the money somewhere else. Of course she will make the final decision.
I'd vote for the square footage and two bathrooms of the two interior cabins. Especially if you can get adjacent cabins that open to each other.

I recognize you are already resigned to your loss, but thought you'd like some moral support.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:32 am

Thank you for the input.
Years ago we were walking to our cabin and passed an interior cabin that was not yet occupied and the door was standing open. I said something along the lines of "See that's not so bad." Wife replied "No but did you see the bats and stalactites hanging from the ceiling?" Of course there weren't any but I got the message. Kind of my fault as 21 years ago I took my new bride on a 10-day cruise in an upper level verandah suite. It was her first cruise which she loved and still loves having a verandah.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:37 am

My favorite example of trying something before you decide whether or not you like it:

Many years ago - pre-status last-minute, I ended up with the dreaded middle-seat back-of-plane for a return from Europe. Winced when I saw my seat full of bags, and my two new best friends - window and aisle - were seriously over-weight large people overflowing into my seat space. As they were moving the bags, they remarked "we were hoping nobody would show up". Winced again.

However ... after the meal I tilted back, hoping for at least a little sleep. It was like being between two big fluffy warm pillows. Probably the best sleep I've ever had in the back of a plane. And when I woke, we chatted a bit and I discovered they were genuinely nice pleasant interesting people. A plumber and his wife.

The airlines haven't gotten around to letting me hunt for a seat between two such people, but it really was an enlightening encounter. I'd have never picked that seat.
That can happen and I'm glad it turned out for you. I don't quite equate getting a random unselected cabin through a guarantee and a random open seat on a flight. If I'm trying to get someplace and have no choice any seat is better than no seat but that's for maybe 10-12 hours for a typical International flight and just a couple of hours for a domestic flight. You get a bad cabin and you're stuck with it for 7 or more days. Again, if we can't pick our specific cabin then we look to another cruise.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:56 pm

​​​​​​​Another suggestion

Thank you for the input.

Once you decide what you want, figure out the price online--then contact a good travel agent, whether online or local. Many will be able to get you either a better price or a little amenity like on board credit money spend, with no cost to you. If the first one doesn't try another. If you like, PM me for suggestions. Many many folks who book themselves direct unknowingly leave money on the table. (like maybe you can get the balcony cabin! I agree with your wife BTW!) Maybe you can manage balcony and inside cabin directly across from it if things all work out.

Good luck and have a great time on your first cruise!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Once you decide what you want, figure out the price online--then contact a good travel agent, whether online or local...
Good advice...My clients are often surprised that the deal they "hacked" can be improved upon by booking with a travel agent. Even if you book direct with the cruise line. a travel agent can claim the booking within a specified time frame (depending on cruise line) and get you additional savings and/or enhanced amenities if they are part of the larger buying groups ("consortia") in the industry.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:52 pm

I know!

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Good advice...My clients are often surprised that the deal they "hacked" can be improved upon by booking with a travel agent. Even if you book direct with the cruise line. a travel agent can claim the booking within a specified time frame (depending on cruise line) and get you additional savings and/or enhanced amenities if they are part of the larger buying groups ("consortia") in the industry.
For real!..for years I booked my own travel thinking I was getting the best deal. Then I was told about about this. I contacted an agent about a cruise I had already booked--she was able to give me $300 On Board Credit (free money to spend on the cruise) for the same cruise at the same price. I just had to submit a form to the cruise line transferring the booking to her. Most agents can get you at least the same price and then add amenities to cruises, all inclusive, even overnight hotels. Pretty much anything but domestic air. No extra cost to you as the travel companies pay them commissions. It's just when you book it yourself direct the company pockets the commission.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.